Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

My Mum now has a small device that lets her know how much gas and electric she has used  , gives a current running update , you can see how much it costs to boil a kettle of water .

That info is sent straight to the electric/gas board and the money is deducted from her bank account 

• Like 1
Not in your choice of location though , if you get offered accommodation, you HAVE to accept the first offer and it could be an apartment on a council estate ten miles outside Carlisle 

Reminds me of my visits to a factory in Botcherby ( just outside Carlisle) had to drive through a council estate .

IMG_2508.JPG

Compare this to the two photos, from the uk, posted earlier !!
On 8/13/2019 at 10:05 AM, BritManToo said:

it's always the housing that's the big problem.

Having 2 kids with you gets you free housing.

Not true, I returned to the U.K last year with two children, found it very difficult, and nearly impossible to even rent a property, due to having no credit history. Social housing, we were down at band D, so no chance in 100yrs. Finally managed to repatriate enough money to purchase a house. 

Unfortunately not all returning Brits have that financial backing.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:57 AM, sanemax said:

I have noticed that British people arent as fat anymore , most under 30's are quite lean with no belly at all .

Over weigh people are quite rare now a days 

The war on sugar is certainly helping on that aspect. There's a better understanding in the UK these days about living and eating healthier but it has taken quite a few years. Thailand now has a serious problem with type-2 diabetes but the over whelmed heatlh service justs doles out the metformin like smarties. No attempt to curb the use of sugar.

1 minute ago, tso310 said:

The war on sugar is certainly helping on that aspect. There's a better understanding in the UK these days about living and eating healthier but it has taken quite a few years. Thailand now has a serious problem with type-2 diabetes but the over whelmed heatlh service justs doles out the metformin like smarties. No attempt to curb the use of sugar.

The latest research suggests that the cause of many of later-life diseases - diabetes and Alzheimer's are two - is the same bacteria that causes gum disease - https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24132152-800-alzheimers-bacterial-link-reiterates-the-importance-of-our-microbiome/

• Thanks 1
On 8/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Antonymous said:

Hey! That's my house on the left!

Bloody miserable place. You see the church tower in the background? At 6am every morning the bells would ring for 5 mins and then the vicar gets on the tannoy and informs everyone within a mile what's going down in the parish that day. He drones on for ten minutes and then the bleedin bells peal again. Worse when someone dies in the village, he asks for donations and then later in the day reads out everyone's names and how much they donated. Goes on for half an hour. Church festival time? Don't get me started...

Had to leave and came to Thailand for some peace and quiet.

Here in my village the headman comes on Tannoy at 7am every morning telling the yokels who has died and we must all contribute to the funeral, then the family put miserable music on at 5am for the next 3 mornings til they burn him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Here in my village the headman comes on Tannoy at 7am every morning telling the yokels who has died and we must all contribute to the funeral, then the family put miserable music on at 5am for the next 3 mornings til they burn him.

and we know you went there for the music  555

• Haha 1
Just now, wgdanson said:

Bose Noise Cancelling Bluetooth. Great. Got 'em free from First Direct Bank for swapping. Went back to Nationwide after 4 months, but kept the phones. !   LOL

well done than, hope they won't come asking for their return 555

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Those lean, under 30, white people are probably Polish or Czech ........... they are quite fit.

No need to mention race or nationality ,I didnt mention anything about Race or Nationality , all under 30's seem to be slim , fit and lean nowadays regardless of their heritage , skin colour or nationality and its rather discriminatory/racist of you to suggest that White British people are overweight and Eastern Europeans are not 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You mentioned British, I disagree with you from observations of my time in the UK over the last couple of years.

Obesity is clearly more prevalent in Brits than their European counterparts residing in the UK....nothing discriminatory/racist about that - don’t try playing a race card where none exists.

Depends where you live.Wealthier parts of the South East are generally slim while the lower income economic groups and the MIdlands/North tend to be fatter. It's very striking in London how fat people are in some of the less wealthy areas.Actually it's noticeable throughout the West eg Manhattan full of thin people while the poorer parts of NY have lots of fatties.Well off people don't like being fat and have the willpower/ money that others often don't have (and maybe better genes).They wouldn't dream of eating take aways and other crap.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 8/10/2019 at 3:30 PM, johng said:

C'mon its not freezing for 10 months...its nice to have 4 seasons  and not feel like your in a sauna 24/7 all year round,

admittedly its not so nice getting up to go to work in the dark  and it again being dark  when you get home.

when it snows...make a "snowman"

P_20171210_101220.thumb.jpg.a4f673b7e0ba8b6970cbb45805d38e53.jpg

It's not nice to go to work anywhere.

• Like 1