Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

13 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Go full Cheap Charlie and use each bag 3 times....that's a 50% efficiency gain.  Then use the tea bags to reduce wrinkles under your eyes, and finally cut open and pour grounds down the drain to kill bad orders. Use the tea bag string to floss, saving money on dental floss.

Thanks for the "tips"....????

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Maybe it depends at what stage, as some Thais do leave it very late.

Slightly off topic, but not very so: What do you think is a reasonable monthly budget for food for a family of four?  

I am also being faced with dentist's bills over the coming months.  Am I right in thinking that dentistry is not free at local hospitals for Thai people?  And that 700 baht or so is the normal rate for a filling, and 10,000 baht for a crown?

I had to have a crown some time ago. I was in The UK where you do now have to pay. I was quoted over 400UK for a normal crown. As it didn't play me up I decided to leave it alone. On returning to Thailand I happen the be in Pattaya so popped into a local dentist. Cost was 150UK that was for a crown that was 50% gold. I think you can work out where I got it sorted.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

I had to have a crown some time ago. I was in The UK where you do now have to pay. I was quoted over 400UK for a normal crown. As it didn't play me up I decided to leave it alone. On returning to Thailand I happen the be in Pattaya so popped into a local dentist. Cost was 150UK that was for a crown that was 50% gold. I think you can work out where I got it sorted.

It'd about 5-6000 baht for a small crown on a pre molar, and 10-12000 baht these days for a white enamel crown.  Unfortunately, the pound has tanked in the last few years.  

A gold crown would be much more expensive- I'd chance a guess at 350-400 UK these days.

It's another example of how things that used to be much cheaper have risen in price when exchange rates are factored in.

Edited by mommysboy
2 hours ago, grifbel said:

High blood pressure is NOT a minor condition.  Stop spreading fake news.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20045868

High blood pressure is a relatively minor condition for most people, which is controllable.   Untreated high blood pressure (a condition) can be dangerous as it can increase the risk of heart disease and strokes.

Hardly fake news!  Calm down or you'll be on the meds. too!????????

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

High blood pressure is a relatively minor condition for most people, which is controllable.   Untreated high blood pressure (a condition) can be dangerous as it can increase the risk of heart disease and strokes.

Hardly fake news!  Calm down or you'll be on the meds. too!????????

wow!

16 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes. I figured about 10k assuming we go the Thai way.

Me too, I wait until the tooth finally breaks, provided I'm not in pain.

It will be a sad day if I ever have to budget only 10,000 bht/mo for food. A little stop at the 7-11 or such can equal that in a month. I know it can be done but dang it, wouldn't be fun.

• Sad 1

Approximate figure for all monthly bills in the UK for a family of 4 is I believe 400-500 quid a month, so lets say at current xr's Bt15,000..I have 2 young kids so would receive 150 pound per month for child benefit so deduct say 5k..total- 10k baht. That is what my monthly bills here are, and would then have free healthcare and education in the UK. Ok petrol is higher but food cheaper. Mmmm.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Essex Reject said:

Approximate figure for all monthly bills in the UK for a family of 4 is I believe 400-500 quid a month, so lets say at current xr's Bt15,000..I have 2 young kids so would receive 150 pound per month for child benefit so deduct say 5k..total- 10k baht. That is what my monthly bills here are, and would then have free healthcare and education in the UK. Ok petrol is higher but food cheaper. Mmmm.

You're forgetting child tax credit, that guarantees a minimum household income of 20,000 pounds if you have 2 kids under age 19 and one adult working 16hrs/week (selling on ebay counts as working).

I worked as a supply teacher 2 days a week in term time (classed as 'seasonal work' no need to work in the 20 weeks school holidays), and my wage was topped up to 15,000 pounds a year by 'child tax credit' and paid direct to my bank account (about 900 pound/month), that was 2001-2009, it's gone up to 20k now, not taxed either, that's 20k net. + child benefit on top, free housing, free dentist, free glasses, free prescriptions, free milk (but the milk came and went).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're forgetting child tax credit, that guarantees a minimum household income of 20,000 pounds if you have 2 kids under age 19 and one adult working 16hrs/week (selling on ebay counts as working).

I worked as a supply teacher 2 days a week in term time (classed as 'seasonal work' no need to work in the 20 weeks school holidays), and my wage was topped up to 15,000 pounds a year by 'child tax credit' and paid direct to my bank account (about 900 pound/month), that was 2001-2009, it's gone up to 20k now, not taxed either, that's 20k net. + child benefit on top, free housing, free dentist, free glasses, free prescriptions, free milk (but the milk came and went).

Appreciate the info but that's gone way over my head, I would receive 20k a year from the gov as long as me or the wife are grafting for a min of 16 hrs a month? Why would I get free housing?

1 minute ago, alfieconn said:

If you think monthly bills in the UK for a family of 4 is 400-500 quid then you are living in dreamland, obviously depends on where you live but my single mothers outlay p/m is as follow : electric & gas 125,  water 27, council tax (with single person reduction 25% ) 105, food and cleaning materials 300, buildings /contents ins 15 giving a total of 572 pounds.

For a family of 4 you could add 35 for the council tax discount, 200 for food, clothes for children, travel expenses etc. Probably getting up to a grand a month all in !

I said 'bills' which does not include food and clothes, travel etc. Would never expect total expenditure to be 500 a month.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

it's to stop your children from living in poverty.

As a single man living alone, you get nothing.

Any earnings you receive are deducted (pound for pound) from the child tax credit.

To be honest I'm not really one for claiming 'bennies' but will certainly look into it more if I did make the big switch.

4 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Not being a UKer, what exactly is this 'council tax' and what is it supposed to give you?

It's a yearly tax based on their value of your house/apartment...

Just looked up what my ex house tax is now, 1,820 pounds for the year..35 quid a week....

Edited by transam
51 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

It basically means you are paying to have your garbage collected and for the street light outside your house.

Always had to pay for your household waste to be collected same with street lights and the pavements to be swept. Is called community charge from your local council.