its hard to get good fish n chips

georgegeorgia

13 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The Jolly Friar was great not so long ago, but they hiked up their prices.

There is a stall on Soi Metro almost at the junction with Soi Buckaow, which sells

fish, chips, chicken nuggets and their potato scallops are great, it is run by a mother and beautiful daughter, I go there every time I am in Pattaya, give it a try.

Pretty sure I have seen the one you mean. I just like to sit and eat indoors, not out on the street sweating and being pestered. 

17 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Depends what state in Australia,Victoria,the gummy shark is a very popular favourite,W Aust,snapper seems to be the favourite,Darwin, barramundi would probably be the no.1

Shark is the most popular and best tasting.  Barra at 30 bucks a kilo makes for expensive fish and chips. 

On 8/14/2019 at 7:43 PM, Isaanbiker said:

They often think that Midgets don't need that much. It's  a Thai thingy. 

( The topic as as dry as my wife's pool. Kidding intended)-) 

That's what happens high end restaurants when you make a fool of the waitress over the wine list.  I'm surprised he gets served at all. 

12 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Mostly used is the cheapo panga fillet like from Makro. Around 100 Baht a kilo, dig that.

I hate this crap as it smells like semen (ahum) and is <deleted> watery.

If you can get hold of more expensive Panga, that would be a better choice.

You obviously have a lot more experience than me in the smell area so I'll defer to your greater knowledge. But really,  waaaay to much information. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, superal said:

Had 3 days visiting a pal on the dark side . Went to Nickys and had the haddock , potato wedges , garden peas , 2 thick bread and butter . Top class for me and was full up and left 1 bread . 

My lady has her own restaurant up north east and she asks me to take a picture of food when I eat in other restaurants for her to make comparisons , so below is the pic from Nickys . BTW the place is clean ,           air con,  Sky TV news , good waitress service . 

Image preview

Never had a bad meal in Nicky's.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Pretty sure I have seen the one you mean. I just like to sit and eat indoors, not out on the street sweating and being pestered. 

Yes, I understand, but my guesthouse is only a minutes walk away, and I take my food and eat it there.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:33 AM, Enoon said:

"Every Day is Fryday"

New Plaza, North side, 2nd Rd end.

Rubbish slimey John Dory fish and bone dry frozen chips, empty vinegar bottles and unclean sauce bottles. Was my last experience there April 2019.

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The Jolly Friar was great not so long ago, but they hiked up their prices.

There is a stall on Soi Metro almost at the junction with Soi Buckaow, which sells

fish, chips, chicken nuggets and their potato scallops are great, it is run by a mother and beautiful daughter, I go there every time I am in Pattaya, give it a try.

The scallops, or specials as I know them, are delish and highly addictive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

You obviously have a lot more experience than me in the smell area so I'll defer to your greater knowledge. But really,  waaaay to much information. 

If you are the one to judge, then that leaves me 'empty handed'

Edited by hugocnx

7 hours ago, superal said:

Had 3 days visiting a pal on the dark side . Went to Nickys and had the haddock , potato wedges , garden peas , 2 thick bread and butter . Top class for me and was full up and left 1 bread . 

My lady has her own restaurant up north east and she asks me to take a picture of food when I eat in other restaurants for her to make comparisons , so below is the pic from Nickys . BTW the place is clean ,           air con,  Sky TV news , good waitress service . 

At the moment, there is nowhere that comes close to being consistently as good, as Nickys.

Their daily specials are the tastiest value for money dishes in town IMO

Sometimes there is the option of Fish Pie on a Friday, which if you see on the menu (or ask them) try it, as its delicious.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:45 PM, TaaSaparot said:

The Haddock & Chips special (225 baht) at Nickys on Soi Buakhao, is as good as I can get in the UK.

I had the cod n chips there few weeks back and was awful. Soft batter.