its hard to get good fish n chips

georgegeorgia

Heading back to Pattaya soon and i luv my fish n chips,

Probably only Aussies will know what im talking about but i luv potato scallops,chiko rolls and dagwood dogs / pluto pups ( frankfurt on a stick with batter) but never seen those in pattaya 

I use to like Simons at jomtien but i think its closed

Last time i was in Pattaya I headed over to the Jolly Roger in Soi Lengkee only to find out it changed hands and was owned by a farang and his thai girlfriend who were doing the ironing on the dining tables,wasnt overly keen on the food and told them .

I guess a lot have closed up 

Any goods ones that you can reccomend 

• Like 1

Too many are attempting to keep the price down and serve up some mystery cheap fish, particularly pub type places. You say the Jolly Roger, but methinks you mean The Jolly Friar. That used to be my choice to get proper cod, but I too was a little disappointed last visit. 

• Like 2

Yes the Jolly Friar, last time i went it it had changed hands and according to the thai family doing ironing  on the dining tables a farang had purchased it,putting the thai family in charge who had no idea how to cook fish & chips 

Another one years ago that was good was “ oh my cod !

British Fish & chips on the Darkside was not too bad 

Everyone has opinion what makes good fish & chips, to me its good batter,good chunky white meat, and plenty of salt 

I use to get sick sometimes eating from the old Simons because ithink they used or reused the old coooking oil,

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

You are coming to the wrong place.

Potatoes: imported.

Nice fish suitable for deep-frying in batter: imported.

Decent cooking oil: imported.

Flour for batter: imported.

Any good plate of fish and chips here would cost the earth, and the demand here is more for cheap than for good.

..... or, demand is for the best cooked acceptable alternative to the real thing.... (after all Chang and LEO are not real proper beers).

Welcome Inn scores well for me and the food stall on soi LK Metro next to Chow Mein Charlie serves a decent piece of fish - just get her to cook it a tad longer "suk suk" for a crispy batter. For reasonable food at very fair prices Cheap Charlies comes up trumps.

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

The Haddock & Chips special (225 baht) at Nickys on Soi Buakhao, is as good as I can get in the UK.

I had that there twice. First time great. Second time soggy fish texture. Inconsistency is consistently a problem here. Yes, I ordered the haddock both times. They also have cod. Don't remember if they sell the common trash fish or not for cheaper, but probably. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Fish and chips cart in soi LK Metro near to the soi Buk exit...couple of tables for sit down and scallops at 10 baht a go and quite large...enjoy :thumbsup:

As said,  next to Chow Mein Charlie and opposite Sugar Sugar Go-Go bar.

17 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I would luv to actually,not sure how to make the potato scallops though.

might have to look on Youtube i guess

Try this:

http://www.goodfoodgourmet.com/appetizers/aussie-potato-cakes-part-1/

https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/australian-potato-scallops/

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipes/potato-scallops-recipe/3xght0bo

Maybe 1 of them might be the right one for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We are not exactly talking about Atlantic Cod here. They use fish that we have never heard of, raised on a very toxic fish farm. Pangasius? What the hell? No wonder it does not taste like much. Very hard to find really good wild fish in Thailand. Also, they use very toxic oil like soybean oil, for the chips and fish. Might taste ok, but it will harden your arteries in just a few years time. 

Now what you mean but I do fry my own fish and chips, usually every Friday.  Beer batter of course and I used to use imported North Sea cod from villa but that got to be a stupid price and tend to use Hoki now. Nothing like cod  but to me it tastes ok and it is not from Japan.  And the reason I mention Japan is I would not buy any of their sea food.

• Like 1

That whole live fish they sell at the markets should be good. Black bream type fish. I think it is Tilapia, similar to a bream. The texture is really good and as it's alive as fresh as you can get but same as the prawns here would come from a farm and lack flavour. Having said that would be better than anything frozen surely. I would fillet it, season with salt and pepper and leave in the fridge for a day. It wont be nice and flaky like cod but should be nice. They sell Barramundi in Makro too and it isn't terribly expensive. I don't think the Asians like nice white fish similar to they don't like chicken breast