Non-B teaching visa document authentication

Hi all,

I've been trying to get an answer to avail so far.  The KL Thai embassy requires that police checks and teaching degree "documents must be authenticated by the embassy".

I'm from the UK and that means I have to go to the FCO as the embassy doesn't provide a document authentication service.  I'm currently in Thailand on a tourist visa now and sending documents back to the UK and back here will take too much time and money for my liking, seeming has I have the real documents here with me.
Has anyone recently had problems with this 'new' rule with the KL Thai embassy?

I was looking at maybe going to Ho Chi Minh instead of KL as they don't seem to be asking for the documents to be authenticated.

I would appreciate anyone's help in the matter as the school I will be working for doesn't seem to know whether this will be a problem or not if I go to KL.

Cheers

Edited by whatam8

2 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

I have never had any of my docs (degree, transcripts, PGCE, QTS etc) for my non - b authenticated. It seems crazy to expect people to pay for such a hassle. 

In 25 years I've never had to do this apart from getting it done at the British consulate last year, for citizenship purposes. They told me over the phone that they stopped doing this but after asking for the the vice consul, she did it for me.

From what I hear from the few teachers I know, many tell me new teachers shouldn't bother teaching high school or elementary here as the MoE, rules and regs make it barely worth it. Better to look at tertiary education here as the rules aren't so strict as these facilities are much freer to do as they wilt without interfering nonsense from the MoE. However, not a teacher these days so maybe others are more up-to-speed but I have noticed a marked decline in the number of western teachers over the last 8 years or so. If you want to teach high school and below then Vietnam would probably be less hassle, especially with the current immigration nonsense being enforced for long stayers now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brigand said:

but I have noticed a marked decline in the number of western teachers over the last 8 years or so.

Huge increase in Eastern European ones and also many Africans, which was totally unheard of when I was teaching here 25 years ago. Most native speakers work online. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best to go to an embassy or consulate that does not require the authentication.

Vientiane does not require it. See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B teacher.pdf  Same for Savannakeht.

And as you mentioned Ho Chi Minh City. http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7440/80809-Non-Immigrant-B---Teaching-in-Thailand-|-Thị-thực.html

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Best to go to an embassy or consulate that does not require the authentication.

Vientiane does not require it. See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B teacher.pdf  Same for Savannakeht.

And as you mentioned Ho Chi Minh City. http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7440/80809-Non-Immigrant-B---Teaching-in-Thailand-|-Thị-thực.html

Thank you, I think I will end up going to one of the ones you mentioned

Edited by whatam8
didn't read post properly

12 hours ago, whatam8 said:

Has anyone confirmed getting a non-b teaching from Lao or Vietnam?

Don't want to pay for a flight there and find out I'll get denied

I can assure you many people have gotten them in Vientiane if you have everything listed on their requirements I posted a link to before in this topic. Same for Savannakhet since theirs is about the same. 

For Vientiane you need to make an appointment for the application. See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

12 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Can't you just get a tourist visa and convert it at Chaeng Wattana?

That would not help since they want the degree legalized and are even stricter than embassies and consulate are for their requirements.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That would not help since they want the degree legalized and are even stricter than embassies and consulate are for their requirements.

Oh that's right. They want all this at Immigration now as well. Glad I'm on an O and American (?). In both cases seems to bypass this regulation.

16 hours ago, Brigand said:

From what I hear from the few teachers I know, many tell me new teachers shouldn't bother teaching high school or elementary here as the MoE, rules and regs make it barely worth it. Better to look at tertiary education here as the rules aren't so strict as these facilities are much freer to do as they wilt without interfering nonsense from the MoE. However, not a teacher these days so maybe others are more up-to-speed but I have noticed a marked decline in the number of western teachers over the last 8 years or so. If you want to teach high school and below then Vietnam would probably be less hassle, especially with the current immigration nonsense being enforced for long stayers now.

Accidentally met with my college gf in the US after almost 30-year. She was telling me her story about teachings in more than 10 countries - Middle East, Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, Dubai, etc. She has a PhD in education and very widely traveled, almost all the countries throughout the World. Now she has retired and live in the USA. I asked he if she has ever worked in Thailand. She said no and but she has visited Thailand. I asked her why? She said Thailand mostly offers low paid teaching jobs and people  go there to meet girls.

Edited by onera1961

British embassy suck, I couldn't get paid into my bank for two months cos of the whole authentication procedure, the Thai embassy even wanted my CV and references to be authenticated.

In the end I just went to Laos, 1 night job done, easy peasy, no questions, just correct documents, scan them, sign them and pay the 5k or whatever it was.

Embassies in Thailand are f****ng nightmare, I went to pathumthani immigration cos that is my district and they started asking for tenancy agreements and to speak to my landlord, i was there all day.

now if I have to ever do an extension on tourist between jobs or whatnot i just go to changwattana and lie, say i'm staying in the landmark hotel or wherever and want to travel.

So inconsistent.

Ages ago I made an appointment with British embassy on wireless road cos I lost my passport, I had no photo ID obviously and they wouldn't let me in, had to show them copies on my phone took ages to convince.  

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I can assure you many people have gotten them in Vientiane if you have everything listed on their requirements I posted a link to before in this topic. Same for Savannakhet since theirs is about the same. 

For Vientiane you need to make an appointment for the application. See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

Thank you for this.
I did not find this appointment website when searching for the Vientiane embassy