Unable to sell used car without 30 or more days on Visa

Went though half a day starting at 6:30am with car sold buyer with money in hand, off to Land Transport who told me I needed a proof of residence, OK 500 baht right.... only to end up at immigration tell me you don't have at least 30 days on your visa left so you cannot sell you car. How absurd can this gov get. Please no Smart arse, "you should have known" etc comments.

1 hour ago, johng said:

.(but the new owner won't be able to register it in their name )

I edited this bit but something went wrong....  anyway   it should be the new owner won't be able to register it in their name straight away..they will have to wait until you provide the "exit from Thailand stamp"  or one of the other "proof of residence" documents I mentioned.

Also "amazingly"  the new owner  could  just drive around without  ever changing the name in the blue book   they can tax and insure the car  no problem as long as they have original blue book and all traffic fines will be sent to your Thai address  :shock1:????  

They will have a problem trying to sell the car  and make amendments to the blue book or get a new book..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

You can sell the car...(but the new owner won't be able to register it in their name )

if immigration won't give you a proof of residence certificate then either wait till you get a new visa..or wait till you have left the country..they will stamp in your passport that you left...then send a copy of your passport photo page  visa page and the exit from Thailand stamp ( probably best to sign them too)  to the new buyer  or to the person/agent/ friend handling the vehicle sale...also you might be able to get a proof of residence certificate from your embassy,or if you have a yellow house book or work permit some Department of Land transportation offices will except them instead.

If you have to leave the country before the sale goes through you need to give the new owner/agent/ friend a   signed

"power of attorney form"

Power_of_Attorney_TH.pdf 51.56 kB · 1 download

1899713025_powerofattorney.thumb.png.8f7bd07590d61831f1bccad34afd5407.png

Assuming your information is current and accurate, that a great post!

Well done.

17 hours ago, elephant45 said:

Thanks, got a cheap storage place, so will always have a car here when I need it when I visit etc. Again thanks for your helpful mature reply.. so odd on this forum.

Yes but if you leave it in storage for a few years, don't forget when you come back and apply for a new tax disc, you will have to pay for years back to when the last one expired.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Honda Phantom secondhand from the friend of the owner after the owner had gone back to the states. He left a blank signed, PoA,copy of his passport (photo page) and the green book signed. The friend wrote me out a receipt. I rode the bike 1,000km back to my home and went with the wife to register it in my name. After we had gone through the clerk and her supervisor we got bumped up to the dept head, all of which came up with a different reason why they couldn't do it. We were leaving when I got an idea; we asked the clerk if we could just register it in my wife's name. Oh, ok, no problem. Finished in 20 minutes with a new number plate and registration. Go figure. :wai:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...