Non-imm B - Single/multiple Confusion

Hi chaps,

Was in Hong Kong recently, and applied for a Non-Immigrant B, 12-month multiple entry at the Thai Consulate (I've accepted a job in Bangkok).

The delightful(!) Thai lady informed me that since I hadn't had a business visa before, they could only give me a single-entry 90-day non-imm B visa. She said I could get the 12-month visa when I got back to Bangkok.

I'm back in Bangkok now - for 90 days, at least. Problem is I'm off to the UK (I'm British) for a week next month. Which will invalidate the visa, right? Unless I pay for a re-entry permit?

I think I'm basically asking:

1. Is it possible to change a 90-day single-entry non-imm B visa into a 12-month muti-entry non-imm B visa without leaving Bangkok?

2. How?

3. Can I do it within three weeks, before I fly to the UK?

4. If not, how about at a consulate in the UK? Or will I have to start again, since the visa's only for one entry, and I'll have used it by then?

Oh, and:

4. Do I apply for the work permit now, or after I get the 12-month visa?

Bit confused - thanks in advance.

1. No.

2. NA

3. NA

4. Now if you ever want to obtain a multi entry - that work permit is probably going to be required (along with a long list of other items). You may be using single entry for an extended period of time.

You will have to obtain a re-entry permit prior to travel.

1. No.

2. NA

3. NA

4. Now if you ever want to obtain a multi entry - that work permit is probably going to be required (along with a long list of other items). You may be using single entry for an extended period of time.

You will have to obtain a re-entry permit prior to travel.

Thanks. So the HK consulate official was lying. Thought so. I wonder why they even have the price listed for the 12-month visa if they're not going to issue any.

So you're saying I should get the work permit before applying for a 12-month multi-entry visa?

If I get a multiple re-entry permit in the meantime, that gives me 90 days from when I returned from HK, with as many trips in/out of Thailand as I like, right?

Thanks for your help - I just wish they'd get this system straightened out so that help wasn't required!

A re-entry permit gives you nothing. It keeps alive what you have. So if your current stamp says you must depart by May 23 the re-entry permit will have that date as when you must depart and on entry that date will be stamped again in your passport. Unless you plan a lot of very quick trips a multi re-entry permit on a 90 day stamp would not be logical.

The Consulate was speaking of 12 month extensions of stay from Immigration if you meet the requirements. You do not at this point.

1. Is it possible to change a 90-day single-entry non-imm B visa into a 12-month muti-entry non-imm B visa without leaving Bangkok?

What the Embassy was talking about was an extension of stay based on business. This permit is impossible for a start up company to get the first year (unless they have BOI approval)

This is the criteria you must meet.

(1) The foreigner must obtain permit stamp for the temporary entry and

(2) The foreigner must earn salary at the rate in accordance to the rate attached to this order and

(3) The business must have a registered capital of no less than 2 Million Baht and

(4) That business must submit their year end balance sheet which has been inspect and certified by a certified accountant. In order to show the financial status, stability and recognition of business. In overall the audit must show owner’s equity of no less than 1 Million Baht and

(5) That business must submit their year end profit and loss account which has been inspect and certified by a certified accountant. In overall the total revenue must show an amount higher than the total salary and benefit paid the employee and

(6) That certain business has the necessity to employ foreigner and

(7) That business must have a ratio between foreign employee to Thai employee of 1:4 and

(8) The following business shall be exempted from the obligation stated in Point (3), (4), (5) and (6) and will be indulgent in the number of Thai as stated in Point (7), where they can use 1 Foreigner to 1 full-time Thai staff

(a) International Trade business (Representative Office)

(B ) Regional Office

© International companies (Branch office)

post-2725-1174290921_thumb.jpg

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks guys. Employer is BOI, but it looks like the easiest solution is to get the re-entry permit and the work permit first, then apply for the 12-month visa again next time I'm in HK (big client there) with the massive ream of paperwork we already submitted (ie. everything on sunbelt's list), plus the work permit.

Phew. Now if the Thai staff would actually tell people that... but then it wouldn't be Thailand if they did, would it? :o

Thanks again.