Is It Illegal To Go Through An Orange Light ?

alfieconn

35 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There are no laws in Thailand as such, the law is what a policeman interpretates at the time.

The only real law on Thailands roads is genuine common sense, and if you don't have that, then you

may not survive.

I think we all know that common sense is in short supply amongst Thais especially where road

behaviour is concerned.

There are laws, and the cameras are set to the laws.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Looking at the photo, all the oncoming traffic had already stopped before you entered the lights. Pay your fines and be prepared  to stop at the yellow next time.

also be prepare for a mass pileup when all those thai vehicles who obey the 30cm rule instead of the 3 second rule smashing into the back of you ????????????

21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Looking at the photo, all the oncoming traffic had already stopped before you entered the lights. Pay your fines and be prepared  to stop at the yellow next 

No. Lights here usually only allow one direction at a time. So the other light is probably about to change from red to green. 

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

How do you know they weren't on red? A lot of traffic lights operate one direction and right turns. With the queue in the opposite direction it looks like it could be the case here.

I don't, and you could be right. Anyway, it looks as he was very late entering the intersection.

I dont know where you got the ticket seems a bit unfair but yellow means stop. Not that any Thais stop at red. In Pattaya at most of the lights at junctions leading on to the Sukumvidt, the lights only change up to 5 seconds after they go red on the Sukumvidt. This allows all the red light jumpers to clear through.

This was.from 2012 Land Traffic Act

Section 22 (1000B)
[Meaning of traffic light:
Green: the driver may drive the vehicle through
Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through.
Red: the driver shall stop the vehicle behind the stop line.

Green Arrow: the driver shall drive according to the direction of the green arrow, but shall be careful to give way to crossing pedestrians or other vehicles.

Blinking Red: the driver shall stop at the stop line and, when it is seen safe, may proceed with care.
Blinking Yellow: the driver shall reduce the speed of the vehicle and proceed through the roadway carefully.]

9 hours ago, oobar said:

I got a 500 baht ticket for getting caught halfway through on a yellow light.  The picture showed only yellow, no red, and stated the fine was for yellow.  So yellow apparently means no go.  Paid the fine and learned a new lesson about Thai traffic laws.

no, you just learned how that specific corrupt police interpret the law, in lack of knowledge or on purpose to make a buck on you.

no way could this be law that if the light all of a sudden turns yellow, its a no go,

its not possible to come from 90 km/h to full stop in less then a dm,

which is what this law demand.

it was always up to the driver to make the call on the yellow caution light.

only the red is a no go,

you must not cross the line once red is on,

you already got the warning yellow light

alerting you, theres no excuse or pardon for red light

Sorry I haven't read all nine pages but at crossroads ...

It is not illegal to go through an orange light BUT if you don't get through the lights on the other side of the crossroads before those lights change to red you are illegal ...

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:
10 hours ago, oobar said:

I got a 500 baht ticket for getting caught halfway through on a yellow light.  The picture showed only yellow, no red, and stated the fine was for yellow.  So yellow apparently means no go.  Paid the fine and learned a new lesson about Thai traffic laws.

no, you just learned how that specific corrupt police interpret the law, in lack of knowledge or on purpose to make a buck on you.

no way could this be law that if the light all of a sudden turns yellow, its a no go,

its not possible to come from 90 km/h to full stop in less then a dm,

which is what this law demand.

it was always up to the driver to make the call on the yellow caution light.

only the red is a no go,

you must not cross the line once red is on,

you already got the warning yellow light

alerting you, theres no excuse or pardon for red light

Correct.  Everything you say is old knowledge for me, as I am well into my fourth decade of living in Thailand.  However, the automated yellow light flimflam was a new twist, one I can now add to the multi-page list of other LOS scams I usually avoid.

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Sorry I haven't read all nine pages but at crossroads ...

It is not illegal to go through an orange light BUT if you don't get through the lights on the other side of the crossroads before those lights change to red you are illegal ...

no, the other side got nothing to do with it,

the yellow light is an alert that it will soon flip to no go

crossing the line when red comes on

On 8/16/2019 at 3:22 PM, HLover said:

Invest in copious amounts of pain medicine to assist with your 'principle war' of futility.

You may want to retake your eye color test, unless yellow is the new orange.

What a mess.

On doing the reaction/colour test for my license, i used the Thai language for the colors, orange NO, yellow NO  The examiner then said AMBER to which i have not seen a thai translation yet.:cheesy: DOH !  just pay the fine.

5 hours ago, brokenbone said:

no, the other side got nothing to do with it,

the yellow light is an alert that it will soon flip to no go

crossing the line when red comes on

No, it is not. The yellow light means stop, unless unsafe to do so.

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

It means be ready to stop, it’s a warning before red.

If it went straight from green to red you’d have people screeching to a halt.

The following sentence from the Act makes the waters a bit murky:

If the driver has passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through.

The question becomes if that means the opposite (crossing the stop line when the light turns yellow) is not allowed.

1. If that's the case then it would lead to situations where it's physically impossible to follow the law

2. If it's not the case then what is the point of the sentence? It would mean that it's also legal to cross the stop line after the light turned yellow

So either way the wording of the law creates problems (surprise surprise) ????

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

The question becomes if that means the opposite (crossing the stop line when the light turns yellow) is not allowed.

1. If that's the case then it would lead to situations where it's physically impossible to follow the law

2. If it's not the case then what is the point of the sentence? It would mean that it's also legal to cross the stop line after the light turned yellow

The amber/yellow light on the pole in the ground is to advise of an imminent change of direction, the problem with the , i can do as i wish attitude, is it is a quick trip to the future for somebody, in europe the sequence is the same but the common sense mode operates a lot better

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

my take on it:

1: the translation went to shit

2: the law maker lack ability to reflect

over the ultimate outcome of what he just came up with,

and the law has to be re-written to allow public

the means to obey the law

The yellow light means stop, unless unsafe to do so.

Exactly! That is the only interpretation that makes any sense and is how it is applied in most (all?) other countries.

Just because the Thai rules may be ambiguous (which unfortunately is not uncommon with English translations of Thai regulations), does not mean that common sense should not be used - and if in doubt, do as you where taught in driver's education in your home country.

48 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Exactly! That is the only interpretation that makes any sense and is how it is applied in most (all?) other countries.

Just because the Thai rules may be ambiguous (which unfortunately is not uncommon with English translations of Thai regulations), does not mean that common sense should not be used - and if in doubt, do as you where taught in driver's education in your home country.

Scroll down to the forth light, see what it says....

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/light-signals-controlling-traffic.html

Now if the OP had a spurt on he would have been OK in the UK if his ride was over the line before it went red, these photos do not show that....

I was a professional driver for years, done millions of miles, been through thousands of amber's and never had a summons...

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No, that is not the question. Crossing the stop line when the light turns yellow is not allowed, unless it would be unsafe to stop.

The first picture shows you well enough back to be able to stop assuming you are doing the speed limit or less. 

2nd pictures only shows you in the middle of the intersection. The 2 pictures are proof enough you could have stopped in time. Is it illegal to go thru an intersection on a yellow light? If you make it thru before the light turns red, you most likely would be left along, although my understanding is it is illegal, UNLESS you have an accident and there is a video showing the accident happened in that yellow light, then you are at fault. 

There is actually one thing I like about driving in Thailand and that is the countdown timers used at some traffic lights. They make it very easy to begin slowing down early in order to stop safely for yellow - especially when someone is tailgating.

Archived