Is It Illegal To Go Through An Orange Light ?

alfieconn

Just received a traffic ticket for going through an red light ( i guess) when the picture within the summons clearly shows that i was over half way across the junction when it turned Red, should i appeal ? can i appeal ? only a 500 baht fine but it's more the principle than the money !

image.JPG

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best to have an orange all the way through... you are better to stop quickly here even if it cn increase the danger of being hit from behind cause many of these lights are intentionally timed to close quickly resulting in more revenue.

3 minutes ago, losworld said:

Best to have an orange all the way through... you are better to stop quickly here even if it cn increase the danger of being hit from behind cause many of these lights are intentionally timed to close quickly resulting in more revenue.

Thanks but you haven't answered any of my questions.

15 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

when the picture within the summons clearly shows that i was over half way across the junction when it turned Red,

No it clearly shows that the light was orange before you entered the junction but doesn't clearly show where you were when it went red !! 

Technically, you should have stopped on the orange light but you do that here at your peril, as 9 times out of 10 there will be someone right up your chuff.. 

I always take a look behind before deciding to stop or not ????

It's a gray zone.

It the light turns yellow (as it is colored elsewhere) you have to break if possible without causing danger.
That's the rule in countries I know (not from Thai law but guess no different).

500 Baht is cheap.

I paid 800. A creeping pickup (almost walking speed) before me just made it for the right turn and I followed although the light went yellow before I passed the stopline.

Don't appeal!

15 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Just received a traffic ticket for going through an red light ( i guess) when the picture within the summons clearly shows that i was over half way across the junction when it turned Red, should i appeal ? can i appeal ? only a 500 baht fine but it's more the principle than the money !

Looking at the photo, all the oncoming traffic had already stopped before you entered the lights. Pay your fines and be prepared  to stop at the yellow next time.

You have to stop at amber, unless it is unsafe to do so. So yes, crossing the intersection with amber lights would most likely be illegal, since it indicates you had plenty of time to stop.

There was a similar discussion here recently BTW.

31 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

only a 500 baht fine but it's more the principle than the money !

Invest in copious amounts of pain medicine to assist with your 'principle war' of futility.

You may want to retake your eye color test, unless yellow is the new orange.

What a mess.

If the driver has passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through. 

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf#targetText=If the driver has passed,crossing pedestrians or other vehicles.

What's considered the stop line here?! There must be a stop line in front of the main line?

If i am already over the line i can't see the light anymore..?!

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf#targetText=If the driver has passed,crossing pedestrians or other vehicles.

What's considered the stop line here?! There must be a stop line in front of the main line?

If i am already over the line i can't see the light anymore..?!

based on this, OP should be let off the hook.

The question of legality can be addressed by use of this simple flowchart.  Please see below...

Are a you falang?

A) Yes  - it's illegal and you have to pay a fine

B) No  - gun it and proceed making sure to do a wheelie and to leave at least 1/2 a cm of rubber on the pavement.

1 minute ago, remorhaz said:

The question of legality can be addressed by use of this simple flowchart.  Please see below...

Are a you falang?

A) Yes  - it's illegal and you have to pay a fine

B) No  - gun it and proceed making sure to do a wheelie and to leave at least 1/2 a cm of rubber on the pavement.

We're having a serious discussion here, please stop this nonsense.

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) Section 22 ...

Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through.

The photo shows that the traffic light turned to yellow well before the vehicle reached the stop line. The vehicle should have stopped.

That is the law, but not the custom. I agree with others - it can be dangerous to stop quickly, as many drivers behind may be accelerating to get through before the light changes to red.

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) Section 22 ...

Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through.

The photo shows that the traffic light turned to yellow well before the vehicle reached the stop line. The vehicle should have stopped.

That is the law, but not the custom. I agree with others - it can be dangerous to stop quickly, as many drivers behind may be accelerating to get through before the light changes to red.

The case at hand is easy though: Op could and should have stopped, there was time to do it and there was nobody dangerously close behind.

27 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There was a similar discussion here recently BTW.

Yes there was.  And I would say the same thing I did then, that is, I go through yellow lights all the time.  In heavy traffic, there is almost always another vehicle following me through.  Which means I probably would have been rear-ended if I stopped. 

What city is the OP in?  Just hope they're not cracking down in Chiang Mai. 

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Yes there was.  And I would say the same thing I did then, that is, I go through yellow lights all the time.  In heavy traffic, there is almost always another vehicle following me through.  Which means I probably would have been rear-ended if I stopped. 

What city is the OP in?  Just hope they're not cracking down in Chiang Mai. 

Was in CM.

Archived