Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

rooster59

5 minutes ago, expat1010 said:

easy solution for the old farts, marry the Thai GF, get an O visa and after 3 years apply for permanent residency. insurance problem solved

They still need >400k in the bank,and even if it's not a real big lump of money, everyone doesn't have it.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There is no pathway to permanent resident without working and paying tax. 

There are several methods to become a permanent resident,not only working. You can for example invest >3 million baht,or support your thai family when married. 

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

There are several methods to become a permanent resident,not only working. You can for example invest >3 million baht,or support your thai family when married. 

On paper there are but in practice you need job, income, pay tax etc. If you apply for support Thai family it doesnt get far. There are a couple of long running threads about it.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:21 AM, rooster59 said:

a senior executive from one of the insurance companies involved in the scheme told Thaivisa that the Office of Insurance Commission, the Ministry of Public Health, the Foreign Ministry and Immigration Bureau will announce the insurance requirements for  Non-Immigrant O-A visas on 22 August.

Well it looks like that chap was getting the run around...the insurance providers shall probably be as keen to hear the announcement, as much as others are perhaps not (depending on the content. It might be good news ????).

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

On paper there are but in practice you need job, income, pay tax etc. If you apply for support Thai family it doesnt get far. There are a couple of long running threads about it.

Use Google instead of reading incorrect threads. Having a job is just one way to get a PR visa, and you need a salary of at least 80k/month. 

6 hours ago, Kelsall said:

From the OP:  "On Friday, a senior executive from one of the insurance companies involved in the scheme told Thaivisa that the Office of Insurance Commission, the Ministry of Public Health, the Foreign Ministry and Immigration Bureau will announce the insurance requirements for  Non-Immigrant O-A visas on 22 August."

So did this happen?

That which someone said that some guy from some company said that some government bodies or other would do something, didn't happen.

Hopefully tomorrow.

12 hours ago, AJS150654 said:

If the Government are concerned about expat debts, why are they only targetting new Visa applicants, if existing expats are the supposed problem.

Yes more holes in their proposal than Swiss cheese. 

3 hours ago, rabas said:
  10 hours ago, Kelsall said:

From the OP:  "On Friday, a senior executive from one of the insurance companies involved in the scheme told Thaivisa that the Office of Insurance Commission, the Ministry of Public Health, the Foreign Ministry and Immigration Bureau will announce the insurance requirements for  Non-Immigrant O-A visas on 22 August."

So did this happen?

They didn't say what year.

11 hours ago, Max69xl said:

They still need >400k in the bank,and even if it's not a real big lump of money, everyone doesn't have it.

Gawd... If you don't have $20K you shouldn't be trying to live in Thailand long term. Your home country has beer, girls and Thai food - if you are old maybe the girls aren't on your mind anyhow :<(

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

Gawd... If you don't have $20K you shouldn't be trying to live in Thailand long term. Your home country has beer, girls and Thai food - if you are old maybe the girls aren't on your mind anyhow :<(

More specifically - If you are caught short financially in Thailand your stay will be transformed for Thaidream to Thai-Nightmare very rapidly.

4 hours ago, Melbun said:

If you don't have $20K you shouldn't be trying to live in Thailand long term

I don't have that amount.

I live in Thailand permanently since 2000.

I transfer since then monthly 2000 Euro and spend them.

I am happy with this situation.

Apparently the Immigration officers, I deal with 1 time in a year, don't seems to be unhappy too with this, till now they always granted me a 1 year extension.

5 hours ago, Melbun said:

I know several people in Pattaya area who doesn't have much money in the bank. They're paying big bucks for their extensions every year. About 25k per year. They don't spend a lot in restaurants or bars. They are a bit like Russians, buying beer at Tesco Lotus Express or 7/Eleven. A bit sad, actually. 

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

They don't spend a lot in restaurants or bars. They are a bit like Russians, buying beer at Tesco Lotus Express or 7/Eleven. A bit sad, actually. 

What's sad about that? Most Thais do the same.

22 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I know several people in Pattaya area who doesn't have much money in the bank. They're paying big bucks for their extensions every year. About 25k per year. They don't spend a lot in restaurants or bars. They are a bit like Russians, buying beer at Tesco Lotus Express or 7/Eleven. A bit sad, actually. 

Exactly - "Very bit sad actually". That's not living - only just existing. For what I ask. Let's hope they have brains enough to have a stash of money to exit quickly. Surely it can't be for the cheap beer and the clean air - Right !! And someone else said "what's wrong with that - that's how Thai's live". Big difference - they have a wide social network, they pool their resources and cook everything. Biggggggggggg difference to westerners.

1 minute ago, Melbun said:

Exactly - "Very bit sad actually". That's not living - only just existing. For what I ask. Let's hope they have brains enough to have a stash of money to exit quickly. Surely it can't be for the cheap beer and the clean air - Right !! And someone else said "what's wrong with that - that's how Thai's live". Big difference - they have a wide social network, they pool their resources and cook everything. Biggggggggggg difference to westerners.

They don't have a stash of money. Some of them have no place to stay back home. Maybe the family can help. I am not that interested in their problems,to be honest. We're talking about grown ups, 50+. 

4 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Very bit sad actually". That's not living - only just existing

Everything is relative.

I know a few guys with 800000 ThB on a Thai bankbook, they don't spend 1000 ThB a day, but claim they are happy.

Not my style, and wonder how they do.

But up to them.

I am not pretending that my way is the only correct way.

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

They don't have a stash of money. Some of them have no place to stay back home. Maybe the family can help. I am not that interested in their problems,to be honest. We're talking about grown ups, 50+. 

Yep - "you make your own bed and have to lie in it"

11 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Everything is relative.

I know a few guys with 800000 ThB on a Thai bankbook, they don't spend 1000 ThB a day, but claim they are happy.

Not my style, and wonder how they do.

But up to them.

I am not pretending that my way is the only correct way.

I think - without being offensive - odd people trying to escape from something. Don't see how they can just exist on thb 1k.

Certainly no girls, very little booze and nil travel. What a horrible frugal existence.

8 minutes ago, Melbun said:

I think - without being offensive - odd people trying to escape from something. Don't see how they can just exist on thb 1k.

Certainly no girls, very little booze and nil travel. What a horrible frugal existence.

Interesting.

Why say without being offensive when your ignorant post was all about being offensive?

So if you're not a monger, not a boozehound, and have less interest in travel in older age, your life is by definition horrible. Not to mention "escaping" something whatever that's supposed to insinuate. 

I think your post is horrible. People should mind their own business about how other people choose to spend their money, whether they have it to spend or not. 

28 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Sure there is no requirement for you to be interested in any other person's "problems" including your own.

3 hours ago, Melbun said:

More specifically - If you are caught short financially in Thailand your stay will be transformed for Thaidream to Thai-Nightmare very rapidly.

That is true. However that can be true in home countries as well and the BURN RATE tends to be much faster in those places. Yes that would be worse here for sure. We're mostly adults here and expats tend to more of the risk taking kind than the stay at homes.

1 minute ago, Melbun said:

What a horrible frugal existence.

Yes, but they brag they have 800000 on a bankbook.

Nice of course to be fortunate to been able to do both :

having 800000 ThB and spending 2000 ThB a day.

Not my case unfortunately, if I had that money, I would not have chosen Thailand for retiring.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting.

Why say without being offensive when your ignorant post was all about being offensive?

So if you're not a monger, not a boozehound, and have less interest in travel in older age, your life is by definition horrible. Not to mention "escaping" something whatever that's supposed to insinuate. 

I think your post is horrible. People should mind their own business about how other people choose to spend their money, whether they have it to spend or not. 

OMG - No reason to be upset. Just canvassing ideas on a public forum. Likewise you don't have to read any articles. By your tone it seems you have interpreted everything that was mentioned and applied it to you.

2 minutes ago, Melbun said:

OMG - No reason to be upset. Just canvassing ideas on a public forum. Likewise you don't have to read any articles. By your tone it seems you have interpreted everything that was mentioned and applied it to you.

Your post was obnoxious. End of. The vast majority of people in the world don't meet your artificial standard of funding for the only type of living that you think is acceptable.

8 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Yes, but they brag they have 800000 on a bankbook.

Nice of course to be fortunate to been able to do both :

having 800000 ThB and spending 2000 ThB a day.

Not my case unfortunately, if I had that money, I would not have chosen Thailand for retiring.

I spent 540bht today, water bill + + 2lmilk + 400gm of chicken to make soup.

That's a big spend for me.

I don't want health insurance, I can pay my own way in the Thai government hospitals.

Saw the doctor last week for my blood pressure medications, 280bht including 3 months worth of pills.

Archived