Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

rooster59

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't understand is why only the visa O-A and the rest nothing. For example if you must have to have an insurance for a visa O-A retirement,

can you change it on a visa O on base of retirement to a visa on base of marriage where the insurance is not required.

I also don 't understand when you have a visa O-A retirement you must have 800k and somebody who is in retirement but he has a visa on base of marriage must only have 400K so for what not change this type of visa?

3 hours ago, mania said:

Most responsible tourists have travel insurance....Same as most responsible Expats

But both groups have enough irresponsible folks who do not. Then when injured/sick etc

want to start a go fund me page or leave a medical bill behind at hospital

In any case anyone who does not see this becoming a mandatory part of all yearly visa renewals has not been paying attention.

Thailand is not shy about making it tougher for expats to live full time in Thailand

i find that all insurances are a rip off so that's why I dont have any..life to the max

1 minute ago, matta said:

What I don't understand is why only the visa O-A and the rest nothing. For example if you must have to have an insurance for a visa O-A retirement,

can you change it on a visa O on base of retirement to a visa on base of marriage where the insurance is not required.

I also don 't understand when you have a visa O-A retirement you must have 800k and somebody who is in retirement but he has a visa on base of marriage must only have 400K so for what not change this type of visa?

Looks like to cover retirees that have no Thai connections perhaps...

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

In at least two hospitals I've been in, unless you are personally conducted to the cashier (which didn't happen to me), you just walk out

I have been conducted to the cashier every time but then it would of been possible to slip away it you had no need ever to return

8 minutes ago, matta said:

The O-A visa holders don't need to have 800k in a Thai bank,  so the current arrangements are probably seen as not bringing much benefits to the Thais.

8 minutes ago, matta said:

As far as I know, many people including myself hold type O visas and get retirement extensions. Only type O-A retirement will require insurance, but we will learn more on Aug 22.

13 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

No, that is wrong and seems to be only an pathetic excuse. 

Indeed you can get a health insurance at any age. Same with travel insurance. ????????

Ok, how much would such an insurance cost for ...say a 70year old person?

2 minutes ago, friend of siam said:
4 minutes ago, Derek B said:

I have been conducted to the cashier every time but then it would of been possible to slip away it you had no need ever to return

what if you told them at that point u dont have cash ?

The first step will be to ask you for a credit card, which they will not charge if you return to pay the bill on an agreed upon date. But all this varies depending on hospital and circumstances.

4 hours ago, tracker1 said:

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

Absurd comment on your part. When anyone gets a resident permit in the EU then its mandatory to have health insurance.

Oldies got all things easy and free before but not anymore. Numbers are not a few hundred by thousands retiree and not expats. Expats term is actually meant for working class????‍????

2 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Absurd comment on your part. When anyone gets a resident permit in the EU then its mandatory to have health insurance.

Oldies got all things easy and free before but not anymore. Numbers are not a few hundred by thousands retiree and not expats. Expats term is actually meant for working class????‍????

In the UK...?

20 minutes ago, randy723 said:

This is 100% bulls s*** the hospitals will not help you until you show that you can and will not let you leave until you do pay.

Never been asked for money up front or proof of insurance before my three in patient stays in Thailand and each time it would have been simple for me to leave without paying if I were that dishonest as I was left alone to pay at the cashier's office.

This was at 2 Govt Hospitals in Kanchanaburi.

13 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

10 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Expats are working class not retiree. This is reason its not applicable on others. 

Absurd point of view, how can a retiree retire if he/she never worked?

Anyway here are the official 'expat' numbers for Thailand.

Foreign Expats by regions 2010[30]
Region Population Percentage
Total population 2,581,141 100.00
Unknown 2,147 0.08
Central Asia 2,749 0.11
Western Asia 6,634 0.26
Africa 8,166 0.32
Central and South America 10,608 0.41
Australia and Oceania 13,233 0.51
Northern America 46,279 1.79
South Asia 78,454 3.04
Stateless 117,315 4.54
Europe 200,564 7.77
East Asia 249,204 9.65
Southeast Asia 1,845,788

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

informal noun
noun: expat; plural noun: expats
  1. 1.
    a person who lives outside their native country.
    "a British expat who's been living in Amsterdam for 14 years"

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

... my Citibank Signature which has unlimited medical and is valid for 6 months when you buy return tickets ...

A friend of mine (ANZ Black - trumps Citibank Signature I believe ????) thought so too but then checked the small print. Credit card TI policies almost always have a para that states that they are for "Australian residents" and an "Australian resident" is defined as someone who "spends 75% of their time in Australia". The odd year with six months out of the country is fine; habitually spending 6 months out of every 12 months means the policy holder has breached the "Australian resident" definition

8 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

I'm on an O-A retirement visa here, and the last time I looked at the visa conditions they just define me as a long term tourist here. Not resident. I don't have a right to work here, or any more rights than a tourist on a 7 days holiday.  Heaps of banks refused to open an account for me.

I don't say it is good or bad, it is just the way it is. However the mandatory health insurance for the O-A holders is a money grab. If we have the same rights as any tourist, then TI should be good enough.

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

Absurd point of view, how can a retiree retire if he/she never worked?

Anyway here are the official 'expat' numbers for Thailand.

Foreign Expats by regions 2010[30]
Region Population Percentage
Total population 2,581,141 100.00
Unknown 2,147 0.08
Central Asia 2,749 0.11
Western Asia 6,634 0.26
Africa 8,166 0.32
Central and South America 10,608 0.41
Australia and Oceania 13,233 0.51
Northern America 46,279 1.79
South Asia 78,454 3.04
Stateless 117,315 4.54
Europe 200,564 7.77
East Asia 249,204 9.65
Southeast Asia 1,845,788

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

informal noun
noun: expat; plural noun: expats
  1. 1.
    a person who lives outside their native country.
    "a British expat who's been living in Amsterdam for 14 years"

Over a period of time in the last two decades retirees also joined the community. Why not then take a proper business registration on ones own name, hire locals, pay taxes and be an expat professional even if 80 years old, does not matter. Pay taxes for keeping business here. Thats the fundamental of this new insurance. It is not applicable to nonb.

I did not mean to offend anyone please, its my view and stay firm on this. The first member tried to portray that tourist are likely to bring more diseases. Anyways, my point is clear. All are welcome to their point of view.

6 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

A friend of mine (ANZ Black - trumps Citibank Signature I believe ????) thought so too but then checked the small print. Credit card TI policies almost always have a para that states that they are for "Australian residents" and an "Australian resident" is defined as someone who "spends 75% of their time in Australia". The odd year with six months out of the country is fine; habitually spending 6 months out of every 12 months means the policy holder has breached the "Australian resident" definition

No such limitation on my TI...yet. As a general rule the terms and conditions only get worse, so sooner or later this may pop up.

https://www.citibank.com.au/global_images/complimentaryinsurance/pdf/mcg7932_0319_citi_description_of_cover_final.pdf

2 hours ago, billsmart said:

At 73, it would be easier and less costly for me to post such a bond than try to get private insurance.

absolutely.

Other interesting items would be:
1) possibilities to increase the in-patient cover.
2) will pre-existing conditions be covered, as in compulsory insurance programs in some European countries.
3) is the insurance valid for life ? or must one keep an international insurance for after a certain age when it becomes impossible to get a reasonable insurance quote ?

Archived