Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

webfact

SO 5 meters away from condo/apartment entrances and recall there was similar rules for most other establishments from schools to shops Etc.? The police should have a field day just fining anybody walking the streets smoking as one will break the law 20 times just walking a couple of sois. Cheers!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Reading also required in addition to maths. Worldwide figures reported for deaths from secondhand smoke. Thailand figures for deaths from smoking. 

Covered in posts 21 and 22.

5 hours ago, meand said:

Ok, we will ban bacon, and yes that is the exact same thing as babies being exposed daily to secondhand cig smoke. 

If u cannot figure this out yourself nothing i say is going to convince you. 

The longevity of old people today come from the times where smoking in buses, cinemas, shops and even hospitals was normal. I'm not saying smoking is healthy, far from it, but things get taken to far, the instruments today are so so accurate at measuring the slightest pollution that there is now the issue of third hand smoke, be in the room with someone smoking and the residue on your clothes can now be harmful to others, just think of all the diesel fumes on your clothes if you live in Bangkok, you would have to change your clothes every hour. Lead in petrol was banned because now it can be measured in the dust, asbestos was banned from brake linings because it could be measured, lead in paint was also the devils work (in many places in the USA it is in the water supply but nothing is done about it) These things in general have been banned, do you see any reduction in cancers ?

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They've mixt it up with the traffic death numbers. 

They have to keep the masses down somehow, but like the deaths on the roads its all meaningless. Just another law that will be ignored.

3 minutes ago, Catoni said:

A person’s “...freedom...” to choose to smoke and harm their health, should go hand in hand with the RESPONSIBILITY to be careful not to harm others with second hand smoke. 

Smokers do not care, that is the problem. I agree though, if every single smoker was actually thoughtful and not so selfish, it could work. 

But, what we see for example is cig butts being (not even close btw) the #1 litter item worldwide. Imagine that! Because not every person smokes!! Shouldn't something we all do, for example eat snacks, shouldn't plastic snack wrapper be the #1 litter item? Hell yeah! But, smokers are so god damn arrogant and obviously (according to liter data) only concerned about themeselves, so what you propose simply does not work. I wish it did though, i wish smokers were considerate, but they are far from it. 

7 hours ago, mania said:

Wow!

I don't smoke but what an adult does in their own home should be their business....No?

Also I have to admit I smile a little thinking of all the folks who always say....I would never go back to my country...They are a Nanny State

Yet Thailand now with laws like these & the infamous TM30 555 ????

it's called globalism

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's ban on smoking at home comes into law today. People can be prosecuted for domestic abuse by lighting up. 

Clarification required ... You cannot smoke inside the house, but OK outside (veranda, yard)?

Or cannot smoke at HOME, meaning anywhaere on the property?

All very vague ...

How many does AIDS kill every year? And at what cost to the economy? Drunk driving? 

I see more bans coming. Picture Kun SomChai's life without sex, drink and cigs.

At least he'll have THC edibles to relieve his resulting depression.

3 minutes ago, meand said:

Smokers do not care, that is the problem. I agree though, if every single smoker was actually thoughtful and not so selfish, it could work. 

But, what we see for example is cig butts being (not even close btw) the #1 litter item worldwide. Imagine that! Because not every person smokes!! Shouldn't something we all do, for example eat snacks, shouldn't plastic snack wrapper be the #1 litter item? Hell yeah! But, smokers are so god damn arrogant and obviously (according to liter data) only concerned about themeselves, so what you propose simply does not work. I wish it did though, i wish smokers were considerate, but they are far from it. 

so why isn't the production and sale of cigarettes not banned ? could it be that the tax money on cigarettes is beneficial ? just tax sugary snacks instead should help with the far more dangerous diabetes epidemic. As for rubbish, on my walks I see no end of plastic bottles and snack wrappers.

Obesity ought to be banned as well, they are an eyesore, they overuse the health system and they eat too much.
People who
- do sport too, tons of injuries
- people who are too skinny
- the old
- drinkers
- disabled

These too please while we are at it.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Does this ban apply to the very talented women using their other lips to draw smoke into their other orifice? I've never seen such a show, but someone please give me that ratfink number again, so I can see the show, turn them in, and demand my ill-gotten money be returned.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The problem with such laws is they are so stupid that everyone ignores them, but then that leads to them ignoring every law. It's like a cancer that spreads through society. Next, they'll probably tell us we have to be in bed by 10pm to save electricity.

I already comply with that.....????

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The problem with such laws is they are so stupid that everyone ignores them, but then that leads to them ignoring every law. It's like a cancer that spreads through society. Next, they'll probably tell us we have to be in bed by 10pm to save electricity.

Why should smoking at a house where children are living be allowed?

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The reason so many deaths in a Thailand is the <deleted> tobacco they use

Yes, no question.  The thousands of highway deaths are just a drop in the bucket compared o smoking related deaths.  I am now 69 years old, so I guess they will claim that I died because of smoking when I go.????

3 hours ago, madmen said:

ermmm you've lost the plot. ..this is about SECOND hand smoke in you're home. Drinking   a beer at home didn't kill anyone around me

comprehension skills much? 

ermmmm I think you lost the plot, more people on earth get killed by actions of drunks, who never drank themselves than from passive smoking. home violence, road deaths, etc , so your argument and accusations of somebody has lost the plot are sadly lost on you. and by the way I do not smoke.

comprehensions skill not much me thinks? what you think?

1 minute ago, Jorgendk said:

Let's face it.. smoking is dangerous. 100% of all smokers die sooner or later.

I still wonder how many % of non-smokers die sooner or later..

Think we all die sooner or later for different reasons....

So they put in an invasive law and by that over rule many other laws. How can they PROVE that second hand smoking was the cause? They can not. How can the accused prove that it did not cause any harm. He/she can not. This is a draconian law that can put innocent people in jail or heavy fines.

I can understand the problem but as for myself I always have several windows open that creates good ventilation and thereby more or less erase the second hand smoking problem, but how can I prove that if my wife finds out that I have a mia noi? Even if I go 5 meters outside (what is this if not crazy) my house I think I still could be blamed should a thai people think I should be prosecuted, or may be my mia noi when I stop pay for her apartment. This is a badly considered law with many bad consequences. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

It is now illegal to smoke within 5 meters of an entrance to a property with 5,000 baht fines for violations. 

So does that mean I can't even light up on my balcony or in the garden? I have to walk 5m away from my entry door?  What if I'm walking down the street - must stay 5m away from other people's entrances?

Is this law published in English anywhere?

I live alone and I don't smoke in the house in any case - I will not be complying with this ridiculous law. How can I impose passive smoking on anyone if there's no-one there?

George Orwell was right................Big Brother is indeed watching you.

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

So does that mean I can't even light up on my balcony or in the garden? I have to walk 5m away from my entry door?  What if I'm walking down the street - must stay 5m away from other people's entrances?

Is this law published in English anywhere?

George Orwell was right................Big Brother is indeed watching you.

90% of people do not smoke. Why should smokers be allowed to damage the health of Non smokers?

2 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

90% of people do not smoke. Why should smokers be allowed to damage the health of Non smokers?

I'm not damaging anyone's health - I live alone.

Cars emit harmful pollution - especially in Thailand with its hideous traffic. Using your thoughts - they need to ban cars then - why should car drivers be allowed to damage the health of non drivers?

Its bloody amazing - the anti smoking lobby are absolutely obsessed with smoking. The country has massive air pollution problems - as we've seen this year in particular. Yet they pick on smoking.

Archived