Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

webfact

15 minutes ago, Totoandlilly said:

Thailand is literally the nannystate of Asia, Thailand is so anti-smoking. Go to Malaysia,Indonesia and Vietnam and you can smoke everywhere, they even have cigarette advertising. 

But please respect those that don’t smoke, you really don’t smoke in the middle of a crowd or at a bus stop etc.

Well, now they do as u have to be 5 metres away from a building and can't smoke inside...

It's like removing trashcans so people can't litter - has the opposite effect of what is is meant to have.

Stop people smoking outiside of an irish pub and make them go away on the middle of the sidewalk where other people are walking is just so brainless.....

They can't smoke indoors, go on the balcony now, guess where the smoke goes, yeah to the neighbours above them... well done.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they mean smoke as in cigarette, or what the girls in Pattaya mean by smoke????

And then there is incense, can't be healthy breathing those fumes.  I wonder if there's some stats on monks suffering from respiratory problems.

They do absolutely nothing about the serious air pollution caused by farmers burning their land but then issue a stupid law like this which will never be enforced. Personally I hate smoking but every day I get a bit closer to forgetting about Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Aachen said:

A girl friend got extracted 40% of her lung because of cancer. Nobody in that family smokes.

Lot of lung cancer in Thailand is pollution, burning, related maybe that was the cause of your girlfriends cancer.

In my wife's friend case the doctors said it was a type associated with tobacco smoke.

I'm not an expert, just believe the doctors diagnosis.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

My SIL in Uk is having a bad time with cancer at the moment 'chemo' neither she or my brother smoked. My FIL in Thailand died from cancer and never smoked in his life.

Lot of lung cancer in Thailand caused by all the burning going on here. It is a known problem where we live, Kanchanaburi.

33 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I don't smoke and don't particularly like to breath other people's smoke, but this policy is evidence of a crippled mind/culture. What a person does in their own home, if legal, is their own business.

Hopefully they won't be smoking around any of their kids who would suffer the consequences of breathing second hand smoke.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Yer talking out of yer backside now!

Anyway, forget using paper, stick with the bum gun.

Ah ! Bum guns , they should be banned , far too many guns . Bowel movement needs gun control , less movement more control or am I still talking clap ?

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Friend of my wife recently died of lung cancer despite never smoking in her life. Her husband did though and doctors say she was killed by secondhand smoke.

which is why money should be spent on education programs such as lessons at school, tv ads, print ads, debates etc.

Not ridiculous knee jerk reaction laws that will do nothing

5 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Hopefully they won't be smoking around any of their kids who would suffer the consequences of breathing second hand smoke.

That's domestic violence and they should rot in jail and have their kids taken.

That's not a smoking issue, it's domestic abuse, one of thailands biggest issues but no one gives af about.

2 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

which is why money should be spent on education programs such as lessons at school, tv ads, print ads, debates etc.

Not ridiculous knee jerk reaction laws that will do nothing

Totally agree but then again Thailand is world renowned for knee jerk reactions that achieve next to nothing.

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's domestic violence and they should rot in jail and have their kids taken.

That's not a smoking issue, it's domestic abuse, one of thailands biggest issues but no one gives af about.

Surely one of the aims of this law is an attempt to stop parents smoking around their kids right?

6 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Surely one of the aims of this law is an attempt to stop parents smoking around their kids right?

It is indeed, the law itself says nothing about smoking. It IS a domestic abuse law.

If only we had real journalism here tho.

This is a way better article on the actual law itself: https://www.sanook.com/news/7811102/

Which "domestic violence" under this law means any act done by a person in the family with the intention of causing or in a manner likely to endanger the life, body, mind, health, freedom or reputation of the person in Family Or compel or use of power to overtake the wrongdoing in order that the family member must not commit or commit any wrongdoing

In the case of smoking in the home Will be considered as an offense under this Act only if tobacco smoke affects people in the home that have health problems such as illness and have gone through a process of examination and proof that can clearly confirm that cigarette smoke causes People in the house are actually sick. Until entering the behavioral adjustment process Which is receiving treatment and quitting smoking

Oz did  the same in a workaround by hiking the price up to 46$$$$$ a pack! same result.

Thailand could care less about the fallout or being PC and that's refreshing

Smokers your time killing innocent people will end soon, get smart and start on patches right now

Meanwhile they have done <deleted> all (effectively) to stop the particulate pollution that causes lung cancer nor the billowing buses (decades old) spewing thick black smoke onto public streets. but yeah go after families.....

nobody should smoke around kids but what a person does in a ventilated locked room devoid of children is nobodys business. 

As usual, the underlying intent is reasonable.  The mere fact that we need a law for this suggests we, as a species, are screwed.

I mean really.... the optics in the intentionally overdone propoganda photo in the OP, is tragic.   Are all Thai men who smoke, really that vacant, and Thai women such passive defeatists?   A neighbor might look in from the soi, sniff the air then call the government to come in and moderate?  While she's sat there like a bump on a log, clutching her swollen womb, "Muh baby, muh baby!" 

Get up and leave the room, dummy!  Better yet, kick him, and his fags, out into the garden and issue an ultimatum.  Do something!  Perhaps be more selective with who invite in to impregnate you. 

Archived