Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

webfact

3 hours ago, mania said:

Wow!

I don't smoke but what an adult does in their own home should be their business....No?

Must take into consideration older people, the young people and the unborn in the lady's belly

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Can this be construed as you front gate? This country is getting more and more iron fisted.

How many family and friends would still be alive today worldwide if this law was international? just one death is one to many. Pretty soon smokers will be hiding in bushes or sitting in trees ..luv it ☺

21 minutes ago, madmen said:

How many family and friends would still be alive today worldwide if this law was international? just one death is one to many. Pretty soon smokers will be hiding in bushes or sitting in trees ..luv it ☺

Sorry, but I look at it as one more freedom gone. And I do not allow smoking in my house.

The world is going to hell in a handbasket even faster than I said it would.

So much for all of our heros who gave their lives to protect our freedoms.

Lower class, middle class, upper class and then there are politicians.

10 minutes ago, madmen said:

ermmm you've lost the plot. ..this is about SECOND hand smoke in you're home. Drinking   a beer at home didn't kill anyone around me

comprehension skills much? 

I would go even further. Each village should have a smoking hut. Like the menstruation huts of 50 years ago. There should also be an extraction fan (if there is electricity), also.

Second hand smoke makes me sneeze and upsets my metabolism.

51 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

which is why money should be spent on education programs such as lessons at school, tv ads, print ads, debates etc.

Not ridiculous knee jerk reaction laws that will do nothing

They can have a million laws. But Thais comply with law, never.

a) other than in a closed small room, second hand smoke is harmless.

b) if your own home/residence isn't safe from prying govt eyes, nowhere is. Stalin/Hitler, etc couldn't do it better!

c) does thai govt realize how they look in press? this new law ranks up there with someone who would sign birthday wishes to their dog (which did make the Drudge Report news recently)

d) if I were a smoker and was considering being a tourist in thailand and read about this law, I'd immediately scratch thailand off my list.

>> report your whereabouts every 90 days, report leaving a province within 24hrs, bars close at either 12 or 2am, cannot buy alcohol at the stores between 2-5pm and after 12 midnight.

What's next big brother? Ankle bracelets? monthly fingerprints? a note from mommy? I thought the adults were in charge here, guess not.

Maybe these govt officials are genius business men...

The world's 2 biggest tobacco using nations are...China with 300 million users and india with 274 million users. Which 2 nations are they trying to attract to Thailand and for longer periods? 

That's a lot of potential law breakers! Hmmm

Just now, dibley69 said:

Maybe these govt officials are genius business men...

The world's 2 biggest tobacco using nations are...China with 300 million users and india with 274 million users. Which 2 nations are they trying to attract to Thailand and for longer periods? 

That's a lot of potential law breakers! Hmmm

Prolly their plan - once they are here fine them and treat them with jail if they dont pay enough

Great News  - but will they enforce it.?  Doubtful as Thai enforcement of laws has been pretty dismal so  far.

I will see if I can get the <deleted> who smokes continuously on his balcony and whose smoke somehow blows back into my room can be stopped.

I would have no problem though if he just smoked in his room with his widows shut and the door sealed shut !!

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Here we go, maths again. These figures mean that 16% of the worldwide deaths are in Thailand. I think not.

Wrong.

The larger figure is for worldwide deaths from second hand smoking and the smaller figure is all deaths from smoking in Thailand.

You should have read more carefully. ???? 

I never smoked indoors because I didn't like the smell.

Also, always used a glass bottle as an ash tray so I never had to snub one out with my fingers at home or in the car.

Awful habit, but not so bad if managed. Then I got cancer in 2016 so I stopped. Everything was distasteful because of the chemo-radiation therapy I was getting at the time.

Food for thought.

5 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

Great News  - but will they enforce it.?  Doubtful as Thai enforcement of laws has been pretty dismal so  far.

I will see if I can get the <deleted> who smokes continuously on his balcony and whose smoke somehow blows back into my room can be stopped.

I would have no problem though if he just smoked in his room with his widows shut and the door sealed shut !!

No you can't, this law is about domestic abuse in a family.

Nothing to do with smoking on a balcony.

However, if he's not living alone then he's forced to smoke on the balcony with this new law and you are collateral damage, another well thought out thai law. 

So basically this has the opposite effect on you.

3 minutes ago, samjaidee said:

Wrong.

The larger figure is for worldwide deaths from second hand smoking and the smaller figure is all deaths from smoking in Thailand.

You should have read more carefully. ???? 

I have already apologised for not understanding it properly. It is bit like comparing apples with oranges as we say in out quaint English language

A child in that environment has no choice, but it's an unenforceable law on the whole.

Wow!
I don't smoke but what an adult does in their own home should be their business....No?

Also I have to admit I smile a little thinking of all the folks who always say....I would never go back to my country...They are a Nanny State

Yet Thailand now with laws like these & the infamous TM30 555 [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived