Smoking ban at home comes into effect today - call 1300 for violations

webfact

I don't smoke and don't particularly like to breath other people's smoke, but this policy is evidence of a crippled mind/culture. What a person does in their own home, if legal, is their own business.

Whilst I agree with your statement about what one does in there own home is their business
The unfortunate reality is that people will smoke in the home around children and around other loved ones who are non smokers so the government has felt the need to introduce this law.
I am a smoker but I have never smoked in our home or in the car even when my gf and our son are not there as I don’t wish to subject them to second hand smoke or the smell
When we eat out at a restaurant that allows smoking I always get up from the table and move away to smoke if I feel the need to have a puff
I do this not because of some law but out of respect for my gf and our son and if in a restaurant that allows smoking the other diners
I’m my home country it is illegal to smoke in the workplace and that includes a vehicle supplied by the company for your work
It is also illegal to smoke in your own car if a minor is present(under 18)
INHO anybody who smokes in their home or car when with non smokers especially children is selfish in the extreme

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Pasuwan said:

Good. Ban smoking is good thing. Smokers are self centered. They just disposed of their cigarettes ends on the floor. Do smokers not know that most filters are not cotton but cellulose acetate, and not easily biodegradable? They are trash, yet most smokers I know/see throw them wherever they are when they finish smoking. Driving down the road, into the water, on the sidewalk. It's especially gross finding them in the sand at the beach. It's no different from crumbling up trash and tossing it at your feet.

Maybe install some trashcans? Whole Bangkok is littered because they removed trashcans...

Also sure, could ban tobacco and cigaretts, vaping doesn't produce this kind of waste nor is the second hand smoke dangerous for others, nor does it make u smell.

But it's all about the moneeey

How will they enforce this new law ? is it ok to smoke in your own house if you live alone.or maybe you will be giving the cat or dog cancer . 

They should study the ecig reports from the royal college of physicians. some hospitals in the uk have vaping shops on site now . 

Yet i'm told vaping in Thailand is illegal as well.  

Ha Ha Ha Ha. No ban in restaurants, hotels, private vehicles, offices, all places you find children. Also clubs. If you live alone then you are affecting no one. In law you cannot be prosecuted without a victim or injured party. What a load of 1984 nonsence and overreach by power hungry officials. I am a reformed smoker and suffer from emphaysema as a result. I would not presume however to tell people what they can and cannot do in their own homes provided it does not injur anyone. Anyway, if you smoke on the balcony or out the window, does it count? Is your garden part of uour home? If you live on a 7000 Rai plot do you have to climb a tree or leave the grounds. What stupidity. Why don't they get motorcyclists to wear helmets and go the correct way up a road first. Then teach drivers to drive in the driving lane unless they are overtaking!

2 minutes ago, Khun Loong said:

My apologies. 

I do appreciate that it is so easy to start reading a thread and quickly answer or critcise someone, only to see 50 replies later that someone said the same as you. Done it too many times. 

Maybe install some trashcans? Whole Bangkok is littered because they removed trashcans...
Also sure, could ban tobacco and cigaretts, vaping doesn't produce this kind of waste nor is the second hand smoke dangerous for others, nor does it make u smell.

But it's all about the moneeey
Most farang smokers throw them into drains they are pigs

Thais just flick them anywhere

Last thing I want these fools doing is starting trash can fire's

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

Even if your story wasn't completely made up more trashcans are needed as there's trash everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Parsve said:

If they want people to stop smoke, why not ban tobaco, would be much easier.

They tried that in the US with alcohol in the 20s it didn't work of course the mobs and corrupt law enforcement made plenty even a big political family

16 minutes ago, madmen said:

Most people who start a sentence with the word 'most <insert group name here>' then resort to sweeping generalizations that make their sweeping generalization look even more ridiculous than their original post. Mostly. 

How can some parents be smoking in the presence of their children? That is not good, a lots of children out there who started smoking leant it from their parents while some leant from their friends. Bad game, smoking can offer you nothing but one sickness or another. 

3 minutes ago, Tgcoll said:

How can some parents be smoking in the presence of their children? That is not good, a lots of children out there who started smoking leant it from their parents while some leant from their friends. Bad game, smoking can offer you nothing but one sickness or another. 

My dad did four of us kids no real health problems me and my older brother never smoked (except for some good stuff years ago for me) younger brother and sister smoke

20 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

Ha Ha Ha Ha. No ban in restaurants, hotels, private vehicles, offices, all places you find children. Also clubs. If you live alone then you are affecting no one. In law you cannot be prosecuted without a victim or injured party. What a load of 1984 nonsence and overreach by power hungry officials. I am a reformed smoker and suffer from emphaysema as a result. I would not presume however to tell people what they can and cannot do in their own homes provided it does not injur anyone. Anyway, if you smoke on the balcony or out the window, does it count? Is your garden part of uour home? If you live on a 7000 Rai plot do you have to climb a tree or leave the grounds. What stupidity. Why don't they get motorcyclists to wear helmets and go the correct way up a road first. Then teach drivers to drive in the driving lane unless they are overtaking!

Think I can disagree with almost everything here.

Are you sure it's not banned in such public places already?

If you live alone this law does not apply to you. It's about abuse of people not your property.

"I would not presume however to tell people what they can and cannot do in their own homes provided it does not injur anyone." Passive smoking doesn't just harm it can also kill people. Just because the harm is not instantly visible doesn't mean it is harmless.

If no-one is affected by your smoke you can smoke anywhere on your property.

Just because there are other dangerous things around doesn't mean you ignore the less important ones. Would you want to stop investigating rapes while there are murderers on the loose? I never understand this why bother with X when (totally unconnected) Y is still happening?  attitude. Why look for a cure for cancer when people are dying from drowning? - because it is also worth doing.

What's this really about then?  coz if it was about reducing smoking related deaths they wouldn't have a ban on vaping products

A good idea though coz I always felt nauseous when my father used to smoke in the drivers seat and it used to waft back on to me in the car giving me asthma 

34 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

In many developed countries it's compulsory to have vehicles tested for pollution level,

what about in Thailand? 

Only if they're smoking in their own living room, left-hand drive, parked bonnet to window, and in neutral.

16 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I don't smoke and think it was a good idea when they banned it in places like restaurants. But this is yet another example of infringement of civil liberties and lack of human rights in what is turning into a police state.

What about human rights of those affected by smokers? Your big enough to stop someone smoking around you if you want. Babies, children and many wives are forced to breath the ignorant man of the houses' poison.

I don't let anyone smoke in our house - am I infringing on any-ones civil liberties?

Archived