lack of rain

seajae

2 hours ago, Snackbar said:

Climate - the average over thirty plus years. 

You cannot assume climate change over two or three years of empirical evidence. To do so isn’t very bright.

Global warming predictions are based on computer models that only differentiate between one & zero, and all have proven to be widely inaccurate.

It’s all fake news.

Total rubbish.  Computers use ones and zeros models do not.  And the data being modeled is much longer than 30 years.  The only inaccuracies have been underestimates.  There are literally thousands of highly educated scientists who know what they are talking about versus a few shrills paid by fossil fuel companies.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You can have some of our Chaing Mai rain.

It's been pouring down for the past two weeks.

Just one clear morning (yesterday) then it poured down all afternoon again.

Lucky you,  where I live in Rayong we have only had one rain in the last two weeks,  watering everyday, I have a large pond but if we dont get some decent rain in the next two months  it is going to be a major problem 

1 minute ago, flexomike said:

Lucky you,  where I live in Rayong we have only had one rain in the last two weeks,  watering everyday, I have a large pond but if we dont get some decent rain in the next two months  it is going to be a major problem 

Torrential rain just started here again 5 minutes ago.

3 hours ago, Snackbar said:

You cannot assume climate change over two or three years of empirical evidence. To do so isn’t very bright.

Global warming predictions are based on computer models that only differentiate between one & zero, and all have proven to be widely inaccurate.

It’s all fake news.

555 No sense in listening to the scientific community. What do they know!?

It’s all fake news.

Indeed. Climate change takes place over centuries. Now everyone expects it to happen before lunch.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

El Nino is over (see NOAA) but it is probably too late for this year... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Phra_Phutthabat

This seems to be the relevant bit:  Does a return to neutral mean that average weather conditions are expected to prevail around the globe? As Michelle pointed out a couple years ago, the answer is an emphatic NO.  A return to neutral means that we will not get that predictable influence from El Niño or La Niña, but the atmosphere is certainly capable of wild swings without a push from either influence.  Basically, ENSO-neutral means that the job of seasonal forecasters gets a bit tougher because we do not have that ENSO influence that we potentially can predict several months in advance (in a probabilistic form).           

It’s all fake news.

no it isn't .. it is real news  not fox news or GOP news 

I have a significant interest in our rice farm and have followed many forecasters with all their lovely graphical displays. One in ten might get close at best. So I have gone more Lo-Tech and follow the Billy Connelly weather forecasting method. "If you want to know what the weather will do, don't turn on the Tele. Stick your head out the <deleted> window!"

5 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

I have a significant interest in our rice farm and have followed many forecasters with all their lovely graphical displays. One in ten might get close at best. So I have gone more Lo-Tech and follow the Billy Connelly weather forecasting method. "If you want to know what the weather will do, don't turn on the Tele. Stick your head out the <deleted> window!"

image.png.abca00974ca8f4583fbd84f53bc11d96.png 

2 hours ago, CGW said:

You reckon? what gloom and doom have you been reading, it would take thousands of years to clear the Amazon, in the meantime it would be growing back, its huge -well over 2,000,000 square miles, makes a great "alarmist" story though!

Thousands of years... 

You grossly underestimate human power of destruction. 

It took only a few decades for small farmers, without any modern machinery (chainsaw, bulldozer...), to remove 170,000 sq km of rainforest in Isaan... 

And look how fast Borneo's rainforest was razed and replaced by palm oil trees. 

The Amazon is being cut at a rate of one football field per... second! 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indeed. Climate change takes place over centuries. Now everyone expects it to happen before lunch.

Natural climate change takes place over centuries, or rather millenia. 

Manmade climate change on the other hand takes place much faster, thanks to technology. 

Trump, a major climate change denier, would now like to buy Greenland because it may soon be free of ice, thanks to... climate change! 

The deniers are also busy fighting over the Arctic and the resources that will become accessible once the ice gone, thanks to... climate change. 

51 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The Amazon is being cut at a rate of one football field per... second! 

If you can back up that statement with solid evidence I will indeed have some concern, I read a article somewhere that stated this "fact" I just thought it was alarmist nonsense, another article stated one football field per minute - big difference, kindly prove otherwise?

9 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

That is true..it is as dry as in my part of Oz -this is usually a very green and fertile valley..photos taken last week.

DSCN0735.JPG

DSCN0804.JPG

I lost a car in the Townsville floods and many people have still not moved back into their houses after six months. Australia is a very big country with wide variations in climate.

The rice around our part of Isaan is doing ok.

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

You mean it used to rain  desert and then it stopped?:shock1:

A little research on the history of the earth’s climate may enlighten you.

Last dooms day was 1920 - 1930 fear and loathing of the predicted new ice age. 

Fake news is older than Jesus

Oh...the keyboard hoppers are active again with regard to this post. So many unqualified statements and Inadequate useless reactions to the topic. To those KBH...get on your horses, leave your comfort zone and make sure that you are really well informed before posting statements that are simply useless! 

7 hours ago, Snackbar said:

A little research on the history of the earth’s climate may enlighten you.

Last dooms day was 1920 - 1930 fear and loathing of the predicted new ice age. 

Fake news is older than Jesus

Never mind me doing some research. how about you researching what is a dessert? 

The post I responded to said "when it stopped raining in the deserts" , it never stopped raining in the deserts because if it was raining it wasn't desert. so it could not had "stopped raining in the desert" , they became desers after it stopped rained .

Basics people basics.

14 hours ago, CGW said:

If you can back up that statement with solid evidence I will indeed have some concern, I read a article somewhere that stated this "fact" I just thought it was alarmist nonsense, another article stated one football field per minute - big difference, kindly prove otherwise?

According to this article, the speed of deforestation, in last May, was 2 football pitches per minute, or 1 every 30 seconds... but what does it change really? 

It is massive destruction, plain and simple. 

Having said that, my concern is not about the carbon emissions, but rather about the definitive loss of wildlife. 

Contrary to what is often said, it would seem that rainforests are not net emitters of oxygen and net absorbers of carbon dioxyde. 

They are more like a self contained system, absorbing the emissions of the wildlife they harbor, and providing them with the oxygen they need... a zero sum game... 

Climate change is a fact, climate has been ever changing for millions of years. Man made climate change is a theory, it is not a fact. It's amazing how many people don't understand the difference. Growing up in the 70's and 80's the theory was a global ice age using pretty much the same climate data being used today in the global warming theory. The only thing I know for sure is, despite all of the science involved, the scientists really don't know what is going on. As they continue to learn the projections will keep changing and they have been, drastically. Contrary to other posts the projections were all way too optimistic and the supposed warming is occurring much, much slower than originally thought, not faster.

To blame the low rainfall here in Thailand on man made climate change is just not possible at this time. Consider also the fact that Thailand has had many droughts over many, many years as has every other place on earth. Is all of this being caused by man made climate change, maybe but maybe not. 

The only thing we know for a fact is that the climate will change. How it will change and why it is changing is still a complete unknown. We are learning more but we know about 5% of knowledge of climate change. We will continue to learn but today there are only theories, with very few facts backing them up. 

The climate will change and humans will adapt, that is the only projection we can make with a 100% certainty. Everything else are just theories, mass hysteria or apathy. If you choose a side and close your mind, we'll never learn anything.

22 hours ago, Snackbar said:

It’s all fake news.

Agree 100%, "correlation does not imply causation" CC is real and has been happening for millions of years here, current CC scaremongers take any excessive weather event as a catalyst to drive up their funding for their CC models which BTW you are correct; none of their CC model predictions have every materialized...........same as the BS that the world will end in 12 years if we don't do something................the CC morons should be measuring events over the last few million years not the last few hundred to really understand CC.  BTW I fully support environmental reform to clean the earth's pollution but excessive manmade CC theories, well you can take it or leave it..........I for one will prefer to leave it thanks.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

They are more like a self contained system, absorbing the emissions of the wildlife they harbor, and providing them with the oxygen they need... a zero sum game... 

I agree with what you say, there is doubtless a lot of nonsense written about the Amazon for the wrong reasons, I recently read an article printed in "Nature" journal that went into great depth about the Amazon and the sheer size, interestingly there is strong evidence that it was planted by "man" for quite a few reasons.

Below from a reliable source - very hard to find these days as google and the like are totally corrupted!

"The data, information and knowledge on the tropical forest area and its dynamics in the Brazilian Amazon remain contentious. We use time-series satellite images to quantify annual forest area, loss and gain in the Brazilian Amazon during 2000–2017. We find that forest area was ~15% higher than the estimate by the official Brazilian forest dataset (PRODES), but annual forest-loss rates were twice the PRODES estimates (~0.027 × 106 km2 yr–1 during 2001–2016). Forest-loss rates increased again after 2013. The El Niño and drought year (2015/2016) drove large forest area loss. etc............."

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

Never mind me doing some research. how about you researching what is a dessert?

Basics people basics.

A usually sweet course or dish, as of fruit, ice cream, or pastry, served at the end of a meal.

8 hours ago, Snackbar said:

Actually, something wrong with the software, I cannot delete the quote. Hayho, seems to have got your temperature rising. 

Not only  mine, the phenomenon is global LOL   

4 hours ago, runamok27 said:

Climate change is a fact, climate has been ever changing for millions of years. Man made climate change is a theory, it is not a fact. It's amazing how many people don't understand the difference. Growing up in the 70's and 80's the theory was a global ice age using pretty much the same climate data being used today in the global warming theory. The only thing I know for sure is, despite all of the science involved, the scientists really don't know what is going on. As they continue to learn the projections will keep changing and they have been, drastically. Contrary to other posts the projections were all way too optimistic and the supposed warming is occurring much, much slower than originally thought, not faster.

To blame the low rainfall here in Thailand on man made climate change is just not possible at this time. Consider also the fact that Thailand has had many droughts over many, many years as has every other place on earth. Is all of this being caused by man made climate change, maybe but maybe not. 

The only thing we know for a fact is that the climate will change. How it will change and why it is changing is still a complete unknown. We are learning more but we know about 5% of knowledge of climate change. We will continue to learn but today there are only theories, with very few facts backing them up. 

The climate will change and humans will adapt, that is the only projection we can make with a 100% certainty. Everything else are just theories, mass hysteria or apathy. If you choose a side and close your mind, we'll never learn anything.

There is climate change and then there is climate change. 

Saying that what has been happening during the past decades is part of a natural evolution of climate would be like saying that the Himalayas going up by 1,000 meters in a few decades is a result of the natural process of plate tectonics. 

Things don't happen that fast in natural, geological times, the arctic ice doesn't disappear in a matter of years, glaciers don't melt in such a visible way that it can be filmed on camera (see the documentary Chasing Ice). 

Man made climate change may be a theory, but so is quantum... theory, and yet all our modern life, starting with this forum, is based on this theory... and no one is doubting quantum theory simply because it is called a theory. 

The thing we know is that climate IS changing, which of course can be extended to climate WILL change, because it is an ongoing process. 

If climate was changing naturally, we wouldn't notice it, no more than we notice that the African plate is getting closer to the Eurasian plate by 2 cm per year. 

Climate change deniers or skeptics are resorting to the exact same arguments used by smoking deniers a few decades ago... and there are still millions who smoke without any concern for their health. 

The difference is that the stakes are much higher when it comes to climate. 

Wise and prudent people, when in doubt, should rather take the side of caution instead of denigrating those who opt for it. 

Remember the fable of the grasshopper and the ant... 

4 hours ago, runamok27 said:

Indeed , one cannot claim every climate event to be the result of human caused global warming. 

I have a heart condition, it caused curtains symptoms. Every time a major health issue occurs I wonder if it is a symptom of a worsening of my heart condition, yet it is reasonable to consider that just because I have a heart condition it does not mean that other illnesses will not occur. 

The above also applies to Global Warming  , Yes indeed climate has been changing throughout Earth's history and for reasons not attributed to human activity, but it would be unreasonable to assume that just because these natural events occur, other unnatural events  caused by humans do not also occur. 

The evidence are overwhelming!

Every one of as , including you I am sure, is complaining or has complained about pollution in the past, almost daily there is a thread  about some negative incidents occurring as a result of human caused pollution, Yet some of as are not even willing to consider that  hot house gas pollution  might be a contributory factor in climate change. 

Archived