Can we rely on the Police for justice/protection?

Airwolf

Serious question. I was assaulted a few months back, lunatic bar owner and a bunch of henchmen. Unprovoked. Clear case of assault, but I never bothered going to the cops, even though there was plenty of witnesses.

I also got mugged years ago in one of those shady kareoke bars, again, the idea of going to the cops seemed futile.

I did go to the cops once, when I had a laptop and cash robbed... They treated me like a criminal, kept asking the same questions, I think they thought it was an insurance scam.

Anyway, 5hit happens, but when it's serious, can we really rely on the police here?

Another time, a crazy middle-aged Thai drove into the back of my bike, light had turned green, but he wasn't waiting for traffic to move... I automatically yelled/swore etc, he gets out for a fight, which was unusual as it was one on one, but I just took off... He drives into me, instagates a fight, but I knew if I stuck around, I'm to blame, he gets off Scott free. I reckon I saved 50,000 baht plus.

Most Thais are fine, but there is scum out there, whether it's physical assault, extortion... 

Would getting the police involved make matters worse? How about the tourist police, are they any use?

This is going to go downhill fast, probably leading to this forum rule being broken.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

CLOSED

• Like 1