Taking the pollution issue to Bangkok

Lizard2010

The article does not mention one suggestion on how to actually deal with the problems. Just a lot of "who's who". So the article was a total disappointment for me. That said, Bangkok will have zero interest in fixing the problems in Chiang Mai, which has been demonstrated time and time again. White papers will be graciously accepted, then ignored, in my opinion. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be a problem that can really be fixed by the local institutions, as the pollution is coming from many, and distant, sources. That said, I wish the team the best of luck in making any progress. It is surely needed.

So, now we have it:

The years-old burning problem, a serious crisis caused by greed, which is causing illness and premature death, as well as endangering the future health of everybody, especially young people; is threatening the whole Lanna economy; is decimating tourist arrivals; thwarting investment, and causing an exodus of foreign residents, now requires the compilation of:

"...a White Paper which clearly states what the root problems are and solutions needed, including all data aggregated across the various fields of research."

This would require everybody concerned to:

"...come to a consensus and write a definitive document, which is hard to come by in a field filled with conflicting and often confounding data"

This can't be true.

17 hours ago, timendres said:

The article does not mention one suggestion on how to actually deal with the problems. Just a lot of "who's who". So the article was a total disappointment for me. That said, Bangkok will have zero interest in fixing the problems in Chiang Mai, which has been demonstrated time and time again. White papers will be graciously accepted, then ignored, in my opinion. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be a problem that can really be fixed by the local institutions, as the pollution is coming from many, and distant, sources. That said, I wish the team the best of luck in making any progress. It is surely needed.

You recapped the article perfectly.  It contains an overabundance of who's who with titles and past accomplishments, but is lacking in details and specifics concerning the outcome of the "urgent" meeting.  Without some members of the group being top military officials from Bangkok, it's time (and paper) misspent.

On 8/22/2019 at 3:56 PM, timendres said:

That said, Bangkok will have zero interest in fixing the problems in Chiang Mai,

Not to mention, Bangkok will have zero interest in fixing the air pollution problems in BANGKOK or anywhere else.  They're not geographically discriminating. They just don't care when it comes to air pollution in general, period.

Archived