Why are so many expats oddballs?

Essex Reject

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Oddball, someone who deviates from the norm, that would apply to most expats here otherwise we wouldn't risk anything to be here instead we would be wrapped up in boredom and safety back home. 

Mmm, good effort but ultimately that is <snip>. As for being bored back home, is that a joke? There are a zillion more things to do back home than there is in this sauna. Even Thai's look completely bored here.

• Confused 3

37 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I usually have the opposite experience from them wanting to know my business, they want to talk about themselves. I barely make eye contact and the next thing I know they've talked for an hour telling me how many houses they've built and sold, how many rental properties they own, how much money they make, all their investments, their entire military career and how they were black-ops and special forces. I might expect that from younger men trying to prove themselves in the world, but these are older guys in their 70's and 80's.

I enjoy back and forth conversation, but can't stand someone who talks non-stop as if they are imparting fascinating wisdom and knowledge that you should feel grateful and privileged to hear.

I love guys who tell you that they were 30 odd years in the Special Forces but are afraid of little spiders. 

And of course, those who've got two houses with swimming pools in Pattaya, but work 600 km away in the sticks and buy a 140K bike on finance with 36 monthly installments.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Let's take one category, the middle aged divorcee or widow and the retiree. Back home it would not be so easy to find a partner or get out socially, they are largely ignored in society ... so they can sit at home watching TV or come to a place like Thailand and feel young again. There was an elderly guy at my gym from the US who fits that category, and he loves it in Pattaya. He's a former executive and wealthy, but he likes going out and he can find a younger and prettier girl here, as opposed to an old lady in the US. For him it's a simple calculation and he's genuinely happy.  

Yep, decent enough point and good luck to him, but ultimately that still involves going out to bars and doing the bar girl thing, if he's not doing that I would bet he's either in a shopping mall or stuck at home, besides the gym that is which truly are boring places.

Edited by Essex Reject

Oddball :  a person or thing that is atypical, bizarre, eccentric, or nonconforming, especially one having beliefs that are unusual but harmless.

Well, certainly there are all types of oddballs all over the world.   It may be the only "group" that I might concede that I belong to.   But then again, I hate being classified.  Like to think I am one of a kind  ????

One thing in my observation  is that most oddballs here do not like the other oddballs here   lol

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1