New traffic laws explained: DUI could be 2 points or as much as 4

rooster59

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a little bit drunk 2 points

Very drunk 3 maybe even 4 points.

So you can get stopped at least 3 times pi33ed as a fart running red lights and then lose your licence for 90 days.

Even if you get stopped without a licence in that 90 days its 200 baht fine and your good to go.

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Losing all 12 points means a 90 day suspension. Repeat offenders who lose their next 12 points will be banned for a year. 

Do this more than three times and the licence will be taken away, perhaps for good. 

So many drive without licenses now how is this going to make a difference. 

I cannot see anywhere in the article what the penalty is for not having a license in the first place....how do they deduct points from something that is not there......:ermm:

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"I thought you only stopped Farangs for not having a helmet."

"Farang all go to Vietnam. Not come back. So we start with Thais now. 400 baht."

1566570676195.jpg.730e12e0573cd2a539d82fa549d619a7.jpg

Many a true word spoken in jest......:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I suppose one can be drunk driving and cause serious injuries or even death, 3-4 times before its game over? Is this a joke or what?

It is a start. Changing driving culture is a generational or multi generational thing. Are you expecting that when starting from zero real systems of this kind to perfection is simple?

As with implementation of any system, you need buy in from all parties. Just getting that buy in from locals is still a long way off, I'd assume.

Your view on this very complex matter is overly simplistic on this occasion.

The roads are so chaotic and it seems that traffic is fast moving that sometimes it’s difficult to see traffic lights change or if you stop quickly because those in front have raced to beat the lights, those behind can easily rear end you. 

Also so what about obscured signals and signs, is any of this considered when dishing out points, I doubt it.

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

There are two points for going through red lights, driving the wrong way and driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). 

In cases where drivers are very drunk or injuries are caused three or even four points can be taken away. 

Losing all 12 points means a 90 day suspension. Repeat offenders who lose their next 12 points will be banned for a year. 

The above is still not any form of a deterrent, loosing two points for what is considered a major offence in most developed countries is a joke. Loosing all 12 points should be a six month as an absolute minimum and if DUI involved 12 month ban, not that any of this will matter to Thai's as they will still continue as normal as the police are so short sighted when Thai people are driving about flaunting the law.

40 minutes ago, grahambkk said:

Has anyone tried using the new DLT APP? It asks for a QR code but my Thailand driving licence does not have one.

Yes they do ...now. You may have to wait till you renew. I renewed mine last month and my address in Thai and English appear on the back side of it, along with a QR code.

16 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

It is a start. Changing driving culture is a generational or multi generational thing. Are you expecting that when starting from zero real systems of this kind to perfection is simple?

As with implementation of any system, you need buy in from all parties. Just getting that buy in from locals is still a long way off, I'd assume.

Your view on this very complex matter is overly simplistic on this occasion.

My very simplistic view is that this point system is going to be turned in to a money making system for the RTP with absolutely no reduction of traffic accidents. 

26 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

The above is still not any form of a deterrent, loosing two points for what is considered a major offence in most developed countries is a joke. Loosing all 12 points should be a six month as an absolute minimum and if DUI involved 12 month ban, not that any of this will matter to Thai's as they will still continue as normal as the police are so short sighted when Thai people are driving about flaunting the law.

There has already been change in this area. Shame from peers is one of the greatest deterrents in regard to these matters. In the last 5 years or so there has been big social change to drinking alcohol and driving vehicles. 5 years ago there was very little stigma about drinking when drunk. But that started to change and I now regularly hear people telling friends in a variety of situations that they shouldn't drive when drinking. That is a major step forward.

By bringing in a points system, that is starting to introduce a tangible penalty to actions that are now starting to become unacceptable behaviour in mainstream culture.

24 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Just Stop moped riders doing as they please, you need eyes in the back of your head to spot them under taking whilst you have your left indicator flashing. 

Lifelong accepted attitudes and actions need to be changed if this is to happen. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how this change be approached and then implemented. How long do you think it will take for this change to become ingrained in society?

4 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

My very simplistic view is that this point system is going to be turned in to a money making system for the RTP with absolutely no reduction of traffic accidents. 

So what do you suggest the powers that be do instead of what they have proposed?

17 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Disgusting! In UK even just over the alcohol limit leads to a court appearance with an automatic 12 month disqualification and a hefty fine (unlimited) or up to 6 months imprisonment! After such a conviction, your insurance premium will increase considerably. Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol or drugs could lead to up to 14 years imprisonment! 2 points on your licence is NOT a deterrent, but a licence to kill the next unsuspecting, blameless person on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

"No problem. No have insurance"

The Thais just keepshooting themselves in the foot with all the new traffic laws. Do you believe for one second the BiB will stop taking licenses? I think not! Law goes into effect in just over 3 weeks. In three months, it will be back to business as usual.

Archived