Forum upgrade in progress! ×

New traffic laws explained: DUI could be 2 points or as much as 4

rooster59

New traffic laws explained: DUI could be 2 points or as much as 4

1566570676195.jpg

Image: TNA

Thailand is still coming to terms with the new traffic regulations that are coming in on September 20th, reported TNA MCOT. 

They reiterated that from that date police cannot take your licence. 

But you must have it with you or a digital one under the Department of Land Transport QR Licence app, available on Android and iOS.

They reminded the motoring public that pictures of your licence on a phone are not acceptable. 

Each motorist will get 12 points under the new system - from 1 to 4 points can be taken off for various infractions of the law. 

No helmet on a motorcycle, not wearing a seat belt and not paying a fine on time is worth one point.

There are two points for going through red lights, driving the wrong way and driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). 

In cases where drivers are very drunk or injuries are caused three or even four points can be taken away. 

Losing all 12 points means a 90 day suspension. Repeat offenders who lose their next 12 points will be banned for a year. 

Do this more than three times and the licence will be taken away, perhaps for good. 

Though the law starts on September 20th there will be campaigns starting on October 1st.

The full enforcement is expected to be made towards the end of the year. 

Regarding fines TNA reported that the authorities hope that now that the DLT and police are fully connected something can be done about the 80% of the Thai public who ignore fines. 

There are thought to be about 13 million unpaid fines on the books and by linking the police reports to the DLT when tax renewal time comes it is hoped that more fines will be paid. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-24

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

In cases where drivers are very drunk or injuries are caused three or even four points can be taken away. 

I suppose one can be drunk driving and cause serious injuries or even death, 3-4 times before its game over? Is this a joke or what?

7 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I suppose one can be drunk driving and cause serious injuries or even death, 3-4 times before its game over? Is this a joke or what?

It's makes full sense to the Neanderthal brain of the Thai government and RTP

11 minutes ago, andre47 said:

"driving under the influence of alcohol (non-severe cases). "

non-severe??

what is that?

cannot walk, but can drive?

Yes, too pi$$ed to walk home. Its ok I can still drive. 3,4 or 5 times at least.

Disgusting! In UK even just over the alcohol limit leads to a court appearance with an automatic 12 month disqualification and a hefty fine (unlimited) or up to 6 months imprisonment! After such a conviction, your insurance premium will increase considerably. Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol or drugs could lead to up to 14 years imprisonment! 2 points on your licence is NOT a deterrent, but a licence to kill the next unsuspecting, blameless person on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

No, this is the reality of Thai mentality!

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

Disgusting! In UK even just over the alcohol limit leads to a court appearance with an automatic 12 month disqualification and a hefty fine (unlimited) or up to 6 months imprisonment! After such a conviction, your insurance premium will increase considerably. Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol or drugs could lead to up to 14 years imprisonment! 2 points on your licence is NOT a deterrent, but a licence to kill the next unsuspecting, blameless person on the road.

You are absolutely right. But unfortunately, you are comparing apples and pears, i.e. a developed nation and a banana republic. Or should that be "banana kingdom" or "banana authoritarian dictatorship"?

Does the 12 points ever reset (assuming you don't reach it)?   I mean is the 12 points like a lifetime limit.  Points systems I've been use to reset after so many years.  Like say every 5 years...if you had accumulated say 9 of 12 points over a 5 year period then at the 5 year point you reset to 0 points. 

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Next time I go for a health check, I'll just show the doctor this article; save him asking why my blood pressure is so high.

16 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Please remember almost all victims of road collisions are people on motorcycles, cyclists or workers flung from the beds of pickups or transported in so called “passenger” vans. 

By definition they are poor and as such don’t deserve effective protection. Just look what happens to the average drunken Mercedes or Ferrari owner once they kill people.

I tried the new APP mentioned in the article. The first problem, written in Thai only. Not unusual so I navigated through that and set up a password. Then the final hurdle was the APP wanted me to take a QR code, presumably from my Thai driving licence. But there is no QR code on the licence! So, the APP looks like it is not useful at all!!

14 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

You are absolutely right. But unfortunately, you are comparing apples and pears, i.e. a developed nation and a banana republic. Or should that be "banana kingdom" or "banana authoritarian dictatorship"?

many months ago ANT got a whopping fime of 84k G B P and 20 month ban for D U I..

the fine was based on what he earns....

14 minutes ago, grahambkk said:

I tried the new APP mentioned in the article. The fist problem, written in Thai only. Not unusual so I navigated through that and set up a password. Then the final hurdle was the APP wanted me to take a QR code, presumably from my Thai driving licence. But there is no QR code on the licence! So, the APP looks like it is not useful at all!!

where are you....YOUR in Thailand...or trying something connected to Thailand !!!

This is legal language LOL.

perhaps for good. ( loss of license)

DUI could be 2 points or as much as 4

and there is more;

Though the law starts on September 20th there will be campaigns starting on October 1st.

The full enforcement is expected to be made towards the end of the year. 

Does this mean September and October are just trial dates and sometime at the end of the year a new date for real implementation will be issued.

Seems the same architects behind the TM 30 are now playing with license issues. Total mess. The road carnage will still be the same.

14 hours ago, Pib said:

Does the 12 points ever reset (assuming you don't reach it)?   I mean is the 12 points like a lifetime limit.  Points systems I've been use to reset after so many years.  Like say every 5 years...if you had accumulated say 9 of 12 points over a 5 year period then at the 5 year point you reset to 0 points. 

They havent worked that criteria out yet, still in discussion with Mercedes drivers.

Hmmm ... 3 or 4 points for drunk driving.

Not in love with Aussie penalties due driving over the set limit ?

Does LOS have alcohol blood limits? Being a non drinker I’m not up to date with whether LOS does or not?

if they don’t they I respectfully suggest they get their collective legislative and judicial <deleted> into gear and make this law and enforce it!

points fir driving drunk what a farce ... suspension fines of significant size and even jail if repeat offender.

Archived