UK PM Johnson says 39 billion pound divorce bill not due in no-deal Brexit

webfact

I'm wasn't a fan of Brexit, but I don't understand what we're paying for in the so-called Divorce deal?

Is this like where the ex-wife does not work but still expects to be kept in the style she has become accustomed to?

I was strongly Remain and fear for the UK economy - but when I hear demands by the French to continue to fish in our waters, and the threats if we don't pay 39 Billion to enable Italians to take 6 hour lunch breaks, it makes me want the UK to crash out with no deal just for the hell of it.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I'm wasn't a fan of Brexit, but I don't understand what we're paying for in the so-called Divorce deal?

Is this like where the ex-wife does not work but still expects to be kept in the style she has become accustomed to?

I was strongly Remain and fear for the UK economy - but when I hear demands by the French to continue to fish in our waters, and the threats if we don't pay 39 Billion to enable Italians to take 6 hour lunch breaks, it makes me want the UK to crash out with no deal just for the hell of it.

Contracts and commitments U.K. signed up for …. before they decided to leave . Like you send your credit card back to bank , but refuse to pay the balance (very simple explained …)

And your wish is very close to come thru ….. crashing out ...

42 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

As the British do not speak any other language, and pupils in the EU all learn English, this language is chosen to communicate.

The Dutch are geniuses when it comes to digging canals, producing beautiful paintings, growing tulips and carving wooden shoes. But for goodness sake - just because your language sucks like a Pattaya Soi 6 Bar employee and is almost universally unusable - stop blaming someone else for your need to learn how to talk to the rest of the world.  

If we leave with no-deal we owe the EU nothing, the payment was a good will gesture from ourselves, why should we pay to trade with the EU.

But I will readily look at any detailed accounts of how this sum was arrived at, to me it was a figure just plucked out of the air to placate our EU friends.

6 hours ago, transam said:

The daftest post of the day......????

The UK is one of 28 countries in the EU yet puts 13% of the cash into it, to me that is important to the other 27...

do you know how much of that 13% they get back, do some research and you will be surprised with the numbers

2 minutes ago, batata said:

do you know how much of that 13% they get back, do some research and you will be surprised with the numbers

I have done your research for you, in 2018 the UK paid in £13 billion and received £4 billion back, out of that I suspect the EU would tell us how to spend the money we get returned. To be honest nobody should be surprised at the numbers the EU conjure up.

1 minute ago, batata said:

In 2017, UK paid £13,2B to the EU. The estimated receipt is £4,3B. So we pay roughly £9B more than we get back. In terms of net contribution, only the Germans pay more.

Is that enough research for you? Surprised?

Screenshot 2019-08-26 at 11.59.26.png

29 minutes ago, Forethat said:

The Dutch are geniuses when it comes to digging canals, producing beautiful paintings, growing tulips and carving wooden shoes. But for goodness sake - just because your language sucks like a Pattaya Soi 6 Bar employee and is almost universally unusable - stop blaming someone else for your need to learn how to talk to the rest of the world.  

As an English speaker I would say this is an utterly pompous, and gratuitously offensive post, to someone who speaks a different language, but has taken the trouble to learn ours. English is widespread, it is an accident of history, not anything to do with any qualities of the language. Dutch is like English, part of the Germanic language group (Subject covered extensively in a different thread, don't bother debating it). It is not unusable, but like most European languages it is not widely used. He didn't blame anybody for anything, what he said was a statement of fact, Brits are very poor at learning other languages -most  other people have learnt English - both true. 

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

That's why they left the UK so long outside….till 15 years after the creation of the EEC.

the main reason was because they are an island, not part of EU mainland, there must be a (good) reason why (le channel) La Manche is where it is

3 minutes ago, batata said:

a bit? maybe better to check the numbers and the reality will surprise you

You keep using the expression "will surprise you" trust me, anything the EU comes up with doesn't surprise anyone, anymore.

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Yes, HUGE, but very difficult to sell to the Chinese. And as soon as they have copied it, they do not need to import anymore.

they call it market protectionism, it's their way of democracy

5 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

As an English speaker I would say this is an utterly pompous, and gratuitously offensive post, to someone who speaks a different language, but has taken the trouble to learn ours. English is widespread, it is an accident of history, not anything to do with any qualities of the language. Dutch is like English, part of the Germanic language group (Subject covered extensively in a different thread, don't bother debating it). It is not unusable, but like most European languages it is not widely used. He didn't blame anybody for anything, what he said was a statement of fact, Brits are very poor at learning other languages -most  other people have learnt English - both true. 

It was just a brexiteer doing the usual, blaming their own inadequacies on others.

10 minutes ago, batata said:

the main reason was because they are an island, not part of EU mainland, there must be a (good) reason why (le channel) La Manche is where it is

Yes, that's the way Slartibartfast designed it, when he finished the Norwegian fiords.

Ref Hitch hikers guide etc for the uninitiated.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

just now        Boris can whistle it this time....

Jennifer Rankin in Brussels

Mon 26 Aug 2019 10.10 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/26/eu-would-block-trade-deal-if-britain-reneged-on-brexit-bill

EU 'would block trade deal if Britain reneged on Brexit bill' 
UK must honour its debts before starting to negotiate trade deal, say Brussels sources

The European Union would refuse to negotiate a trade deal with the UK if the government reneged on the Brexit bill, EU sources have said.

At the G7 summit in Biarritz, Boris Johnson said it was a “simple statement of reality” that the UK would withhold much of the £39bn financial settlement agreed by Theresa May, in the event of a no-deal.Brussels sources have warned that future trade talks would be blocked until the UK agreed to a settlement.

The financial settlement was a “totemic” issue for EU member states, one official said. “The message will be ‘honour your debts, or we are not even going to start talking about a trade deal,” the source said, reflecting a widespread view among diplomats.

more....

wohow that must have hit them very hard.... they were all so keen about the new trade deals but forgot that one, as some would say no money no honey

24 minutes ago, batata said:

I suspect the pre historic French dig that channel and pushed the piece  into the North sea …., as then already they saw they could never live with them together …..:cheesy: 

We the rest of Europe, should be grateful to the Frenchie's ????

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

I suspect the pre historic French dig that channel and pushed the piece  into the North sea …., as then already they saw they could never live with them together …..:cheesy: 

We the rest of Europe should be grateful to the Frenchie's 

merci mon ami

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

As the British do not speak any other language, and pupils in the EU all learn English, this language is chosen to communicate.

Don't know about the other British, but this Brit speaks English, Thai, French, Spanish and German.

I've deliberately forgotten German, now I no longer have to teach it in high school.

I thought I'd managed to forget French as well, but I watched a movie, partly spoken in French last week and sadly could still understand what they were saying.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know about the other British, but this Brit speaks English, Thai, French, Spanish and German.

I've deliberately forgotten German, now I no longer have to teach it in high school.

I thought I'd managed to forget French as well, but sadly I watched a movie, partly spoken in French, last week and could still understand what they were saying.

maybe you are the exception to the rule

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought I'd managed to forget French as well, but sadly I watched a movie, partly spoken in French, last week and could still understand what they were saying.

Don't pretend you don't know that Brits and Americans hardly speak any other languages.

But good on you.

8 minutes ago, Forethat said:

23% of them (Brits) speak French. 

(what were they thinking...)

Yes, that's the first answer Google comes up with. Looking further percentages are much lower, and much more imo according to real life. Just saw one saying 0.1 percent. But include the recent immigrants and you'll end up higher.

For your 23 percent btw wiki says 'citation needed', in other words, not confirmed. And with in the same article 0.3 of immigrants speaking French, 23 percent seems extremely unlikely.

16 minutes ago, batata said:

maybe you are the exception to the rule

So you see  , can never trust  Brits....speaks 5 languages ….. must sure be a Mi6....  have plenty of them in soi Bhuakao besides the SAS ones ???????? 5555 lol

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Yes, that's the first answer Google comes up with. Looking further percentages are much lower, and much more imo according to real life. Just saw one saying 0.1 percent.

Actually, the EU investigated the matter a few years back and came up with some numbers.

If I'm not incorrect, the EU average bi- or multilingual ability was something like 55% and the British equivalent was 35%.

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, that's the first answer Google comes up with. Looking further percentages are much lower, and much more imo according to real life. Just saw one saying 0.1 percent. But include the recent immigrants and you'll end up higher.

For your 23 percent btw wiki says 'citation needed', in other words, not confirmed. And with in the same article 0.3 of immigrants speaking French, 23 percent seems extremely unlikely.

As unlikely it seems, that is what the stat says. Have you checked with the Guardian for the ultimate truth? 

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Foreign_language_skills_statistics

Screenshot 2019-08-26 at 13.05.10.png

Archived