Prayut wants rising sticky rice price to be urgently curbed

snoop1130

Perhaps General Prayut could order the Baht down...

No wait--he's a ChiCom boy, and pushed Belt & Road Initiative, and a lowered Baht would give the government no good reason to side with China in bilateral trade...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brigand said:

Not just the drought but what supplies of sticky rice there are will be held back by farmers and not sold as it's their preferred type for personal/family consumption. Dream on government. In the real world, you can't just issue a decree and all will magically work out on stuff like markets.

Yep. Even though sticky rice is up over 100% in these parts, the smallholders unfortunately will hang on to their own crop for their consumption, rather than make a tidy, deserved, profit after years of being bent over by the millers and middlemen.

I often buy our sticky rice from the local millers, it's gone from 480 Baht per 24 kg sack to 1150 in the last 2-3 months...

The missus has 10 rai of paddy, but for years now that gets rented out for a percentage, due to nobody in the family left to do the work, and the 20% percentage just about keeps her mum in annual rice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

I am expecting an APP to be rolled out soon where you have to register how much rice you have in your home and how much you are consuming per day. It's probably been a law since 1967, but was never really enforced ????

Yes.  It will be called TM30+ and apply only to foreigners (for security reasons, needing to keep bad guys out)

• Haha 1

Prayut is bad enought with his orders but the commerce minister Jurin is going to talk to wholesalers to tell them to sell at especially low prices to the public, EAUNG or <deleted>.

He must have been army too and think his orders are law.

Venezuela is run in this fashion. It’s not a roaring success.

Hoarding (or raising inventories) is a rational response to uncertainty in the market. This way if there’s another failure in supply next year as well, there is at least some prospect of still being able to buy the commodity, but at an even greater price.

If the price is forced lower without a rise in supply, hoarding will continue because of the greater perceived loss and uncertainty. The incentive to produce will also be impacted because people don’t want to plant a crop that could fail for an artificially lower price.

If the inventories are somehow flushed out into the market to lower prices and there is another crop failure, then there won’t be any rice available for any price and a complete failure in supply will occur. It won’t even be possible for vendors to pass on a price increase to consumers because there will be nothing to sell. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

He should able to find the solution in Economic for Dummies. Supply and demand. Import from Vietnam who is suffering from over-supply and low demand. Laos, Cambodia and Mynmar also have sticky rice production. Total incompetency and poorly qualified to be PM. 

Somebody already tried that in got busted with 30 tonnes of sticky rice by the cops,so that tells me this is a tightly organised operation.You know?Like extortion!One of the favourite pastimes of the Elites.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Thaifish said:

When the market improves and there is plenty of rice Prayut should buy the left over rice and put it in storage for future sale. ???? 

That's what they did already and now they are making an absolute killing.This is what Prayut was talking about with his smart farmer idea.

• Like 2

RE - Prayut wants rising sticky rice price to be urgently curbed

* As we (and unlucky Yingluck) already know rice pledging scheme has been the basis of a political failure in the past - will we see the rice strikes again - rice and fall with a sticky twist this time ... 

So the price of sticky rice is not so "sticky". I still pay 5 baht/packet to the street food vendors - wonder if and when that will change.

Prayut wants this and Prayut wants that. Bring the government in to control price and guess what happens?

19 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I'm happy with the price going up.maybe now my wife will lose a few kilo.its either that or she will go mental with withdrawal symptoms.she actually goes from hungry to angry if not fed properly.

Sounds like she is suffering from carb/sugar addiction, my wife is the same I cut out all refined carbs so cured my blood sugar problem, the wife well not so easy 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, Eric Loh said:

He will be heading the National 5G Strategic committees. Buddha weep. 

Probably doing that in the hope of getting those new animated Line stickers. For free. His favourite character is Cony, I'll bet.

I hope the Isan rice farmers have the financial stamina to stock pile their work for some time or to sell it at a more market relevant price. 

Who is a military man in a "democracy" to tell those, who PRODUCE the stuff, what price they could ask for. Last time I heard that was in the Soviet Union. 

But yes, the oligarch elite needs to learn, that it is reality check time now and that they have to go deeper into their very full pockets to pay for the product they like but were never willing to pay a profitable price for.

Unless I am getting everything wrong again and it is the middle men of non-Thai ethnic decent who make the cut - again ...........