Prayut wants rising sticky rice price to be urgently curbed

snoop1130

By THE NATION

800_757f558d715d766.jpg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha called on the Commerce Ministry to urgently find a way of controlling the rising price of sticky rice, government spokesperson Narumon Pinyosinwat said on August 26.

She said that in response, Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanavisit ordered the Department of Internal Trade to see if sticky rice is being hoarded and to prevent such action right away. 

Jurin has also told the department to talk to rice traders, millers and related parties and have them package sticky rice and sell it at an especially low price to the public.

The price of sticky rice has jumped due to drought, which has affected both in-season and off-season planting. The situation is expected to improve after the latest crop is harvested in October. 

Meanwhile, one rice vendor in Phayao province lamented that she has had to purchase sticky rice at Bt1,950 per sack, compared to Bt800 per sack over the past few months. She said this high price is forcing her to sell the rice at a high price of Bt35 per kilogram, adding that other vendors are selling the rice for as much as Bt40 to Bt45 per kilo.

As of August 16, the price of paddy sticky rice stood at between Bt13,900 and Bt17,600 per tonne, up from Bt9,549 per tonne late last year, while white sticky rice was between Bt38,500 and Bt38,600 per tonne, up from Bt19,610 per tonne.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30375380

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-26

2 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

I'm happy with the price going up.maybe now my wife will lose a few kilo.its either that or she will go mental with withdrawal symptoms.she actually goes from hungry to angry if not fed properly.

You're lucky,at least you have a way of controlling the anger!

1 hour ago, smedly said:

order this want that - Prayut seems to think the economy runs like the military - just give an order and it will happen, reality check Mr Prayut - it doesn't work like that

Not only that all the problems hitting the media he so desperately wants to control (along with everything else) will be perceived to be his fault.That's the risk of being the boss of everything there's nobody else to blame.

Not just the drought but what supplies of sticky rice there are will be held back by farmers and not sold as it's their preferred type for personal/family consumption. Dream on government. In the real world, you can't just issue a decree and all will magically work out on stuff like markets.

I am expecting an APP to be rolled out soon where you have to register how much rice you have in your home and how much you are consuming per day. It's probably been a law since 1967, but was never really enforced ????

10 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Wait... they want to pay farmers more but want the prices curbed? Where did these guys study economics? Or just simple first grade calculus will do...

Probably the farmers are not benefiting from the higher price as most of them sold their crops after harvest.

The middle men are the ones coining it.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Why is it I get the feeling it is the trouble and strife who is sowing these ideas in his mind? What would he know or care about the price of sticky rice?

13 hours ago, smedly said:

order this want that - Prayut seems to think the economy runs like the military - just give an order and it will happen, reality check Mr Prayut - it doesn't work like that

The Military Academy did not offer Econ 101.

Generals current or former do not understand Market economics, they never had to, just work out how much they get for flawed contracts etc. Any politician sticking their noses into economics will result in costly schemes which result ion Court cases AKA The Shinawatra clan. 

It is called the market, less of it more expensive, or he could put his hand into his own pocket and assist in lowering the price...…...Nope...I am Thai me me me attitude !! 

Guarantee prices for normal rice to appease the farmers but wants to drop the price for sticky rice because of drought causing shortages.

let the market find it's own levels... if farmers are hoarding sticky rice to push up the price customers will simply not buy it thus forcing down the price... same as normal rice.

Governments do not set the prices...  

Archived