English Language Radio In Pattaya

Eggy

Hi all, I've not been able to find any English language radio stations in Pattaya, are there any and if so what are the frequencies.

What about the World service?? Where on the dial will I find that in Fun City??

Try Radio Thailand on 107FM, but you may need a good aerial as it comes from Bangkok. Includes BBC WS news during the day.

Otherwise 107.75 Pattaya's own channel has a few English sections with good music.

• 3 years later...
I think that PCN radio {FM 105 MHZ} is good to listen to. Makes a change from their T.V. Channel.

Not bad indeed libya, the only small point that is disturbing is the fact that they interrupt their commercials, announcements, ... almost every 15 minutes with a song ...

96 ,103, 105, 106 All local

My wife discovered 89.5 FM

Western popular music 24 hours/day - generally speaking playing more up to date than the ones quoted above, but no hip hop or club. Very good alternative to 96 , which is now my next favourite.

Also very powerful transmitter - I can still receive it as far away as Sri Racha.

Thai DJ's but they don't speak much, and usually back to back music. In fact less disruptions than the other farang stations.

Give it a try.

96 ,103, 105, 106 All local

My wife discovered 89.5 FM

Western popular music 24 hours/day - generally speaking playing more up to date than the ones quoted above, but no hip hop or club. Very good alternative to 96 , which is now my next favourite.

Also very powerful transmitter - I can still receive it as far away as Sri Racha.

Thai DJ's but they don't speak much, and usually back to back music. In fact less disruptions than the other farang stations.

Give it a try.

I've just discovered this station. It is pattaya.com radio station. It plays nearly non stop English music, hardly any ads. Very good I will say, and really good selection of music. 105 for me just has too many ads and too many Howard voice overs!!!

It is Thai however so the ads and announcements are in Thai. But there is so few of them that it isn't a problem.

105 for me just has too many ads and too many Howard voice overs!!!

The same could be said about a number of magazines that publish in Pattaya??

I am sure that you understand the concept of advertising and how it generates revenue for your business in order for it to survive John??

Most of our advert breaks are no more than 1:30 minutes, which I dont think is too bad really???

Edited by hm1973

I live in Pattaya but originaly from Blackpool, UK. I missed my local radio station so much, that i found there website and have "radio Wave" coming out of my computor speakers all day - its cool... i think you can search online for radio stations that you want.

But you can turn the page in a split second.....
I am sure that you understand the concept of advertising and how it generates revenue for your business in order for it to survive John??
And I hope you understand that the sameness of radio adverts that use the same voice-over do not stand out from each other, this can cause the lonely listener to retune to another station. My radio is currently set up for 96, 103, 105 - and I switch when the song is not to my liking or the national anthem is played - just as well 6pm happens at different times on the different stations! I'll try 89.5 tonight.
Most of our advert breaks are no more than 1:30 minutes, which I dont think is too bad really???
No - the duration is often not a problem - anyone can create an idea for an radio advert with a few clicks of a sound editing program but to free yourself from the current marketing constraints one should investigate some element of variety.

One good aspect of 96 is the lack of presenter - simple tongue in cheek voice overs.

While I'm at it - during the New Year one/some (?) of the stations played vox-pops of Pattaya expats/tourists wishing the listener a 'Happy New Year' etc. Why were the many Europeans forced/encouraged to speak only in English, there are speakers of other langauges here - allow their native voice to be heard.

As for the German (?) giving a running (live?) comentry for a beach football match in English a few weeks - a more effective way to scare people off the station I have not encountered.

What Pattaya is missing is frequent traffic status reports on the radio - with the amount of 'on the spot' TV footage we see when an accident occurs I would have thought that there was an established path of accident news gathering that could be tapped into. But to be useful in a city the size of Pattaya it would need to be frequent during the am/pm rush hours - this is an area that a manned station would have an advantage over a station running with automated playlists and voice-overs.

As for the OPs World Service question - 'Voice Of America' and 'The BBC World Service' can be found on shortwave. (40 -20 meter band in the afternoon if I remember correctly.) Check their web sites for frequencies and times - I am not aware of any FM rebroadcasts here. As for content the programming leaves a bit to be desired most of the time.

What Pattaya is missing is frequent traffic status reports on the radio - with the amount of 'on the spot' TV footage we see when an accident occurs I would have thought that there was an established path of accident news gathering that could be tapped into. But to be useful in a city the size of Pattaya it would need to be frequent during the am/pm rush hours - this is an area that a manned station would have an advantage over a station running with automated playlists and voice-overs.

A great idea, however this would only work if you run a radio station manned by live DJ's, which we don't.

I think people have to realise that we are running our stations here in Pattaya and are therefore subject to Thai Broadcasting Regulations which are completed outdated and are really not geared-up for english radio stations.

We HAVE to broadcast Thai news twice a day at 7am and 7pm, we must broadcast the Thai National Anthem at 8am and 6pm EVERY day. Our advertising ratio to content is strictly controlled. I MUST run a 30 minute speech by the Governor of Chonburi Province once a week.

These are just a few things we HAVE to do to continue broadcasting.

We are constantly checked by the Thai Authorities who visit us on a regular basis looking to catch us out at any opportunity. Trust me, it really isn't easy to run PCN FM 105. However we do and we do it in a way to ensure the Thai Radio Authorities are happy with what we do.

There is also the Work Permit issue. On my work permit it actually states (in Thai) that I am permitted to broadcast on a radio station from my company address. However, to man the radio station around the clock would require some serious manpower and work permits for others, which is not possible as my company is not large enough to accomodate further work permits. It is a real shame because there is some real talent in Pattaya, many former radio DJ's and others who would sound good if given the chance.

So before, you ctiticise mine or other radio stations here in Pattaya, please consider the fact that we are really up against it here in relation to broadcasting in accordance with Thai Radio Authorities.......it ain't easy!!!!

105 for me just has too many ads and too many Howard voice overs!!!

Don't take it personally Howard. But as you know many have said the same about your station and it's true. 96 uses many different voice overs for both announcements and ads and that keeps the listener interested.

Your station plays good music and is professional, however there is too much of you Howard, thats all I mean. I am sure deep down you agree with me on this?

Don't take it personally Howard. But as you know many have said the same about your station and it's true. 96 uses many different voice overs for both announcements and ads and that keeps the listener interested.

Your station plays good music and is professional, however there is too much of you Howard, thats all I mean. I am sure deep down you agree with me on this?

And I could do exactly the same as 96 and charge a substantial production fee for each new ad, but I don't as I want to keep my prices as low as possible, I also think it is nicer to get the customers involved in the production of the adverts, which is why I encourage customers to voice their own adverts. One of the others reasons is to also avoid using my voice. My voice is on 105 a lot because I read the news and also voice a number of adverts. Quite often people request ME to voice the ads, even though I strongly suggest to them not to use me. However I have been through the numbers of adverts voiced by me as I have been writing this and it isn't too much really. I hope it will become less and less over the next few months!!!

A great idea, however this would only work if you run a radio station manned by live DJ's, which we don't.

We HAVE to broadcast Thai news twice a day at 7am and 7pm, we must broadcast the Thai National Anthem at 8am and 6pm EVERY day. Our advertising ratio to content is strictly controlled.

......radio station from my company address. However, to man the radio station around the clock would require some serious manpower and work permits for others, which is not possible as my company is not large enough to accomodate further work permits....

So before, you ctiticise mine or other radio stations here in Pattaya.....

No one commented on the 7am/pm burst of Thai news - I'm at home then so only affects me when going out early evening in the car so switch to CDs then - people here understand that there are Thai regulation limitations that will prevent you doing what you want when you want to, relax. As for the Governor of Chonburi's spot - 4am on a Tuesday morning is an ideal spot.

As for other presenters - the 'real talent' in Pattaya - as in politics - some people that seek office should be barred from doing so. This is not directed at you - but at the many that seek a broadcast platform.

No one with half a brain expects you to be sitting in front of twin turntables running continuity 24/7, but having a live insert during the evening rush hour is not beyond the wit of a man with your talents. For intelligibility your voice-over rather than a misc phone-in voice would be better.

And I could do exactly the same as 96 and charge a substantial production fee for each new ad, but I don't as I want to keep my prices as low as possible, I also think it is nicer to get the customers involved in the production of the adverts, which is why I encourage customers to voice their own adverts. One of the others reasons is to also avoid using my voice.
But cheap radio is just that - cheap. In this regard 96FM is much easier on the ear during the advert breaks. If I ever considered buying pottery I would look to see if it was made in Korat and I am now daring the light in the downstairs bathroom to blow just to see if it burns out again 30% faster!
However I have been through the numbers of adverts voiced by me as I have been writing this and it isn't too much really.
"Know thyself' - Greek philosopher Socrates.

“O, that we could see ourselves as others do!” - Robert Burns.

"Hear your radio station through the ears of your listener." Cuban.

If you are the only player in the local radio market to be upfront enough to post on this forum then you are in a unique situation having listeners interested enough to engage you in dialogue with constructive comments like WCRs and mine. Neither of us are attacking you but offering some thoughts that may not have occured to you while bringing all the elements of radio together to combat 'dead air'.

Final observation: 96FM seem to have increased transmitter power with the upgrade a few weeks ago as I am getting a better signal in the car now and can listen to the other side of Lam Chabang.