i have too much stuff to pack

parafareno

I have some business to do in Thailand but I need to bring with me one more suitcase with my stuff in it.....

It would be expensive to bring that to Thailand via plane.....I guess another 1000 usd of so. becuse of etra weight....

I dont know what to do......

I was thinking of buying condo just to keep my stuff in condo.....or keep another set of my clothes in new condo and travel with one suitcase not two....

condos are expensive and people say dont buy real estate in Thailand....

Is there a storage room somewhere or any kind of other tips you might have ....

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

$1000 versus buying a condo.  
Buy the condo

Some airlines carry unaccompanied luggage and from memory can be a lot cheaper than accompanied luggage, maybe worth checking. 

In some countries there are dedicated luggage companies:

- you book the ticket

- luggage company comes to your house and packs everything and take it all away a day or few hours before the travel and somehow they lock the actual carriage of the luggage into your ticket but they do all the 'admin. etc.', on your behalf, and from my understanding have the capability to negotiate cheaper luggage charges.

- Within a few hours of arrival at the destination the luggage company delivers your luggage to your indicated address, unpack and put the clothes into wardrobes, drawers etc.

-Years back one of my colleagues was in Japan on a project and very often moving from city to city and he and his wife and kids had a lot of luggage. The company authorised him to use one of these services and he mentioned the company concerned was well organized, very prompt, never any mistakes and reasonable price.  

• Like 1

Unless it is really specialized stuff that you are bringing in, travel light and buy what you need here.

It will work out a wee bit cheaper than baggage, renting storage space or buying a condo.

Although slightly off topic, I currently have 3 'sacrificial go bags' kept in different hotels so I can travel with only hand baggage where ever I need to go while working here. (By sacrificial I mean if they get lost there is no serious consequences from the loss)

Edited by chrisinth

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Some airlines carry unaccompanied luggage and from memory can be a lot cheaper than accompanied luggage, maybe worth checking.

That's the route to go.

A mate who migrated to Thailand had 4 suitcases sent as unaccompanied luggage.

Nowhere close to 1000 Dollar.

44 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's the route to go.

A mate who migrated to Thailand had 4 suitcases sent as unaccompanied luggage.

Nowhere close to 1000 Dollar.

Depends entirely on where you're coming from and the weight of the bags.

Example:  From the US to Thailand, a typical unaccompanied baggage charge is around $9/kg. For 4 30kg bags, that would be over $1000.  Meanwhile, the accompanied baggage fee for up to two additional bags up to 25kg was only $149 per bag at the time I investigated, which is only $6/kg.

So you need a lot more information about specifics to say one way or the other.  Every situation is unique. For shipping large, heavy stuff, I would check out doing an LCL shipment by ocean freight.  Surface mail by the post office can be pretty cost effective as well.

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Unless it is really specialized stuff that you are bringing in, travel light and buy what you need here.

It will work out a wee bit cheaper than baggage, renting storage space or buying a condo.

Although slightly off topic, I currently have 3 'sacrificial go bags' kept in different hotels so I can travel with only hand baggage where ever I need to go while working here. (By sacrificial I mean if they get lost there is no serious consequences from the loss)

I did the same thing for years, I had a small cheap trolley suitcase (size that could easily fit in overhead Bin) in storage in lobby storage of 3 different hotels in Asia, all with a small amount of extra socks, underwear, spare shirt and a knife, fork and spoon and a cheap plastic cup and 2 cheap plastic plates if I wanted to make a sandwich etc., in the room and in a sealed bag with about 10 teabags that I like, a few little bags of sugar, a couple of small boxes of UHT milk, so I could make my own tea If I felt like it, plus 1 or 2 cans of beer to pop into the bar fridge. I haven't been back to 2 of these location for maybe 5 or 6 years, no great loss at all if the hotels now thrown the small cheap trolley bags away. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...