Lenovo Problem.

NoshowJones

My Lenovo desktop all in one, is misbehaving badly, it is only a few months old, it keeps freezing up, blanking out.

Is it possible it could be a virus? It is protected by Windows 10 Defender, I think it is called.

Purchased in Thailand?

Copy Windows 10?

Copy Microsoft Office?

I have the same problems. But with an HP not a Lenovo. 

If you go to Task Manager, you will probably find your Disk is operating at 100%. Mine is. I would love to fix it but I don't know how. 

• Like 1

Lenovo normally ships with legit software.  Is your drive C an SSD or HDD?  Is it showing activity when freeze and less or none when operating again?  Have seen reports of Lenovo having issues with anything but Samsung SSD - know my older unit will not work using the Kingston SSD I had without frequent freeze of minute or two of display.

37 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Lenovo normally ships with legit software.  Is your drive C an SSD or HDD?  Is it showing activity when freeze and less or none when operating again?  Have seen reports of Lenovo having issues with anything but Samsung SSD - know my older unit will not work using the Kingston SSD I had without frequent freeze of minute or two of display.

I am not sure about SSD, I think I will just get a laptop to replace it, I have no faith in Lenovo any more, also had problems with my Lenovo Yoga 520 and my Lenovo tablet.

I took the tablet to the Lenovo place at Fortune Town when I was in Bangkok recently, and they told me I would have to wait about five days as there was no engineer available.

I bought these earphones from Lazada you told me about a few weeks ago, and one of them has just stopped working.

As has been mentioned, if there is a HDD instead of an SSD installed in the Lenovo AIO, it could well be a disk usage (running 90 - 100%) problem. I have had numerous machines reacting like this running on W10, especially if they are running memory hogs such as Chrome / Dropbox / OneDrive etc. But it certainly seems to be W10 related especially with i3 or lower processors.

Changing the HDD for an SSD will get rid of this problem (if that is the cause). The very fact that  you would even consider this sort of change on a relatively new computer to me questions what W10 is up to. Again, if this is the problem, high disk usage.

Before swopping out though, you could try stopping the Windows Search services (in services.msc) and closing all instances of Chrome processes (there will be several running) in Task Manager to see if that makes a difference. While in Task Manager, check the startup tab and disable anything you don't need to start on bootup.

Of course your computer could have been taken over, and is now a bot for some little toe-rag, but that's another story..........:wink:

43 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Easiest way to check is to do a full win 10 reset but you need to backup data. If problem still persists, most prob it might be ram or other hardware fault.

It is still under warranty, but I have no faith in Lenovo anymore, I live up country and nowhere near any dealers.

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I bought these earphones from Lazada you told me about a few weeks ago, and one of them has just stopped working.

Sorry to hear that - I bought 4 sets and all still working AFAIK (I use mine daily)

Sounds as if you are indeed luck challenged.  Hope the future brings better things.  At least the headphones are not a great investment - some can be very costly.  

Changing the HDD for an SSD will get rid of this problem (if that is the cause).

Actually for me HDD works fine - it is the upgrade SSD in Lenovo Ideacentre that causes hangs - runs fast and nice but then a couple or more times an hour hangs display for several minutes and SSD appears to be accessed continually.  None of the normal fix things worked for me and have seen reports only Samsung SSD works with some of their computers.  Lived with it for several months but have returned to old HDD which at least works, even if have to want a few seconds sometimes.

• Thanks 1

Lenovo, like many other brands have consumer and business devices (with different names for those categories).

Most computer professionals agree that Lenovo ThinkPads (previously IBM) are one of the best or the best available notebooks. I have one of those which is about 10 years old and it works still find with Windows 10.

But then there are the cheap consumer devices with lower quality which have the same brand name on the case - and that's about the only thing they have in common.

As usual if you want to have high quality then you should buy high quality - including high quality support. Lenovo has that - for a price.

About behaving badly: One problem with Windows is that it installs lots of updates and many of them take a long time (especially on a HDD). This is most noticeable when the computer was not used i.e. a month. Then when you start the PC soon after that it gets slow because lots of things (virus scan, update) happen in the background.

I just received a brand new Lenovo notebook with originally Windows 10 installed. And since about 3 hours I go to settings, updates, wait, restart, settings, updates, wait, restart, repeat - I think until now 5 times.

If I wouldn't do this now then it would happen over time in the next weeks and it would annoy the user.

My advice for your computer: Switch it on, make sure you are connected to the internet and make sure the device does not go to sleep. And then let it do updates, and more updates, and more updates. You can accelerate this by going to settings, updates and restart manually. But it also works manually, just a lot slower.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually for me HDD works fine - it is the upgrade SSD in Lenovo Ideacentre that causes hangs - runs fast and nice but then a couple or more times an hour hangs display for several minutes and SSD appears to be accessed continually.  None of the normal fix things worked for me and have seen reports only Samsung SSD works with some of their computers.  Lived with it for several months but have returned to old HDD which at least works, even if have to want a few seconds sometimes.

Did you check for firmware updates?

They sometimes fix problems like that.

I cannot imagine that anyone suggested that buying an AIO was a good idea.

OneMoreFarang has it right. Stay away from cheap consumer 'disposable' devices.

Why would you buy a device that is not easy to service, especially if you live in the 'boonies'?

What is the full model number of the AIO? Perhaps the specification will give us some pointers.

It might be that fitting an SSD will solve the issue. But we need to look a bit more closely at the device; the specification and also how difficult/easy it is to fit an SSD.

It is still under warranty, but I have no faith in Lenovo anymore, I live up country and nowhere near any dealers.
Computer hardwares now are pretty reliable compared to 10 years ago so I guess the chance of hardware problem is lower. Windows 10 is pretty easy with reset function, previous Windows you gotta do a new win installation.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, chrisinth said:

As has been mentioned, if there is a HDD instead of an SSD installed in the Lenovo AIO, it could well be a disk usage (running 90 - 100%) problem. I have had numerous machines reacting like this running on W10, especially if they are running memory hogs such as Chrome / Dropbox / OneDrive etc. But it certainly seems to be W10 related especially with i3 or lower processors.

Changing the HDD for an SSD will get rid of this problem (if that is the cause). The very fact that  you would even consider this sort of change on a relatively new computer to me questions what W10 is up to. Again, if this is the problem, high disk usage.

Before swopping out though, you could try stopping the Windows Search services (in services.msc) and closing all instances of Chrome processes (there will be several running) in Task Manager to see if that makes a difference. While in Task Manager, check the startup tab and disable anything you don't need to start on bootup. I am just

Of course your computer could have been taken over, and is now a bot for some little toe-rag, but that's another story..........:wink:

I have tried the taskmaster, I am so fed up with Lenovo and their dreadful aftersales service service in Bangkok, I have two Lenovo service centre addresses in Phitsanulok, and will try these after I come back from the UK.

On 8/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, chrisinth said:

Before swopping out though, you could try stopping the Windows Search services (in services.msc) and closing all instances of Chrome processes (there will be several running) in Task Manager to see if that makes a difference. While in Task Manager, check the startup tab and disable anything you don't need to start on bootup.

Sorry, but my 10 year old Dell notebook 1440 Inspiron runs great on W 10 Pro. But I was using the 32 bit version to be on the safe side.

OP, take your memory cards out and clean them with an eraser. This is often causing huge problems with zero investment to fix it.

How much memory have you got? You should at least have 4 GB of memory.

Edited by Isaanbiker