Getting Over The Semi-fluent Hump

OM3N

Hey All.

I've been living here for three years now, and have always been trying to improve my Thai language skills.

I did 6 months of intensive one-on-one study, in which I learned reading and writing quite well, but still have problems writing (remembering tone marks).

The problem is I seem to have hit a wall when it comes to sentence structure, and properly relating past and future tense sentences.

I would say my vocabulary is above average, but still needs work.

What do you guys suggest I focus on in order to get past this barrier? I don't have as much time as I would like so most of my studying is done on my lonesome or with Ms. OM3N.

Thanks for any help.

I have gotten rid of my pay-to-view UBC channels and now only watch Thai TV.

I also love reading and try to spend at least an hour a day reading Thai in an area that interests me (in my case Thai Buddhism). There are also plenty of magazines devoted to subjects which I am sure will interest you. I have found using a variety of reading resources useful. I would reccomend getting the best dictionary you can afford.

Good advice from garro, all of it.

Find material you like reading about. Perhaps you have a favourite novel in English? Buy the official Thai translation, see what the translator has done with it.

If you have a book you've read several times you will be familiar enough with the plot to be able to get a lot of expressions for free, because you remember the original. You will also learn a lot about translation technique.

A good translation can be an excellent learning tool. Still, for obvious reasons, translated language is not the same as that produced directly by a native speaker into Thai. So in order to improve your Thai and make it sound as authentic as possible, you need to find direct, non-translated sources as well.

Several famous Thais have written books (or had others write books in their name). You could try to find material by prime ministers (several, possible most of them, have written books, both fact and fiction), comedians (Note Udom), or fictional short stories (the 1970s movement with Khamsing Srinork, Sridaoruang, etc... and Chart Korbjit, who has won the South East Asian writers award twice - his most famous novel, Phan Maa Baa (Mad Dog & Co., in translation by Marcel Barang) is a good read...)

In terms of magazines, try Matichon Sut Sappadaa (the weekly edition of Matichon), or Saarakhadii magazine which has many interesting and well written articles on everything ranging from traditional culture, society, politics, architechture... etc. etc.

The Thai language of National Geographic is also very decent.

Get the best dictionaries, get out your pen and start reading. Underline and look up every word or expression you don't know. Make a glossary. Ask your wife. Ask here.

If you keep at it, you'll see your reading comprehension and ability to grasp advanced Thai will improve quickly.

Spend as much time as you can spare every day. But do it every day. It's the same as physical exercise - a little but often is much better than seldom and a lot.

Thanks for the top notch advice guys!

I have read Korbjit's Mad Dogs And Co. in English, enjoyed it quite a bit. Maybe getting the Thai version and referencing it along with the english is a good idea, I think I'll try that.

I know I have the ability to get fluent, it's just the "get up and go" mentality I'm missing.

I'm gonna start getting serious. There's honestly nothing holding me back!

I have gotten rid of my pay-to-view UBC channels and now only watch Thai TV.

Thats not a problem for me as I gave up on UBC (and its crappy programming) over a year ago.

Thai TV for me all the way, even though the soaps get OLLLDDD. :o

try listening to some of the all talk thai radio stations , especially the ones that have phone-ins .

there is a monthly magazine called "idea language" , it costs 20b , and is used mostly by thais to improve their english. they take articles from the foriegn press and magazines and have the condensed article in english on one page , and the article translated into thai on the facing page.

easy to read and ive found it useful.

you're not alone being stuck on the semi fluent hump.

Edited by taxexile

Working in the industries I am in (even here in Thailand) doesn't give me a chance to use Thai much..funny hey!

From a conversational perspective, to make sure I get 'something' Thai-wise during the day, I like watching the news chat programmes which are on from about 7am in the morning (Eg Ch.3). It is pretty informal discussion but on topical matters. For me, in the same way as reading the Thai translation after the English original, if you keep up with the news and 'current affairs' from say the BKK Post or the Nation, then it helps you follow what is going on during these shows. I also like watching people like Suthichai Yoon (bald guy - editor in cheif of the nation) when I can catch him on telly. I think he is one of those people who is simply very articulate, and by virtue of that, you'll pick up alot more than someone who just jabbers away on TV.

Another cousin who went to the US and got very good at English said all he did to learn English well was watch sports programmes. Granted, he was interested in sports, but it helped him. It fits in with Garro's suggestion of focusing on an area of interest.

try listening to some of the all talk thai radio stations , especially the ones that have phone-ins .

there is a monthly magazine called "idea language" , it costs 20b , and is used mostly by thais to improve their english. they take articles from the foriegn press and magazines and have the condensed article in english on one page , and the article translated into thai on the facing page.

easy to read and ive found it useful.

you're not alone being stuck on the semi fluent hump.

Where might I find this magazine?

Where might I find this magazine?

one of the thai bookshops that sell educational and language material.

or try their subscription department (240b for 12 issues)

tel . 02-935-8125

fax. 02-538-9909

they are at

2nd floor

building no.2

191/82-83

ladprao wang hin road

bangkok 10230

Sounds like you have a great attitude! And learning the Thai attitude is as important as learning the Thai language. I have a friend who has been here for ages and speaks and writes Thai quite fluently, but has very little ability to talk to Thai people. He seems to speak Thai with a crabby farang attitude, he complains to the motorcycle taxi drivers, argues with cabbies, whines about the politics and corruption. I see Thai people cringing when he comes near them. I am a Union Language School 5-monther and stayed on another 8 years here, but my Thai language is just ok. But I try to speak, not with a Thai accent, but with a Thai spirit and we get along.

Thanks for posting, it reminds me I need to study!

Hi

I'm a musician and I found this site very useful - I like to listen to the songs and read the words as they go by. Maybe one day they will sink into my thick skull :o

Last year when I was upcountry to visit the inlaws they were amazed when I borrowed some guys guitar and started singing a Bird Tongchai song :D It really goes down a treat with the Thais when they hear a farang sing in Thai... :D

He seems to speak Thai with a crabby farang attitude, he complains to the motorcycle taxi drivers, argues with cabbies, ...

Bit off-topic, but it reminds me of a conversation I had with a taxi driver last week. It never ceases to amaze me when they say I am the first farang they see who speaks Thai. There must be truck-loads out there! This time I said to the taxi driver that there are certainly a lot of farangs that speak Thai, but maybe they don't use a taxi. His answer: Oh yes, there are sooooo many farangs that speak Thai, and they DO use taxis, but nobody can understand them. :o

He seems to speak Thai with a crabby farang attitude, he complains to the motorcycle taxi drivers, argues with cabbies, ...

Bit off-topic, but it reminds me of a conversation I had with a taxi driver last week. It never ceases to amaze me when they say I am the first farang they see who speaks Thai. There must be truck-loads out there! This time I said to the taxi driver that there are certainly a lot of farangs that speak Thai, but maybe they don't use a taxi. His answer: Oh yes, there are sooooo many farangs that speak Thai, and they DO use taxis, but nobody can understand them. :o

I had today a driver (a very young 63), who for the life of me, I couldn't understand. He must have been from up north, as his central Thai was really slow, but he then shifted gears and got into pure Issan, of which, I had no clue what he was saying.

Was very funny actually, me just going krup, krup, ahhhh, krup...he he, ging reu? but having no idea what was going on. Something about how he ran off from his pregnant wife at age 30, going to work in a temple for 2 years, being sent here there and everywhere by the monks and old folk at around midday so he'd miss the 1pm post feed on the monks left overs, and then something about how even though he ran out of of his wife and yet to be born baby, he'd always knew that he'd be able to go back to his village as they all knew him as a good chap.

I had today a driver (a very young 63), who for the life of me, I couldn't understand...Was very funny actually, me just going krup, krup, ahhhh, krup...he he, ging reu? but having no idea what was going on...

Was

the taxi driver? :o

I hope you gave the taxi driver a big tip.

This reminds me of the time I went to Pattaya a few years ago. There were loads of women on the streets commenting on how handsome I was. I still feel good about it.

Edited by garro

Ehemmm. More off-topic: Thailand is the only country in the world where I get a tip from the taxi driver. :o Quite often they tell me to pay less and invite me to their home village. But usually I do try to tip, because I feel really bad about the stories they tell me about bad Farang behavior... and because they need to make a living.

Well, maybe this is not sooooo off-topic, because it is the taxi drivers who help to get you over the semi-fluent hump. BIG time!

Ehemmm. More off-topic: Thailand is the only country in the world where I get a tip from the taxi driver. :o Quite often they tell me to pay less and invite me to their home village. But usually I do try to tip, because I feel really bad about the stories they tell me about bad Farang behavior... and because they need to make a living.

Well, maybe this is not sooooo off-topic, because it is the taxi drivers who help to get you over the semi-fluent hump. BIG time!

Well done sutnyod, keep it up.

Talking with taxi drivers will certainly help your Thai and if you can also get reduced taxi fares and free accomodation as well then I congratulate you .

Yes, taxi drvers can be great for the ego! I guess I'm at the same semi-fluent stage, but after 16 years here . . . Having said that I work in a place where everyone is supposed to speak English and NOT Thai, so thats part of the problem.

It really depresses me though when I think I can speak quite well, but I try to watch the Thai TV News, and hardly understand a word. Is it the speed they speak, or just vocabulary I'm not familiar with? Probably a bit of both. I keep trying though.

G

It's both. If you can read Thai, you can acquire relevant vocabulary from current affairs magazines like Matichon Sut Sappadaa. Don't go with the dailies like Thai Rath, Daily News etc, as they use a language to themselves.

The TV news readers avoid slang but do use quite formal vocabulary compared with everyday speech.

The rest is practice. The more often you listen, the more you will understand. Seeing reports about the same event on two different channels as well as reading the news in English first, and then watching the Thai spin on the same story, are other methods that can be helpful.

I had today a driver (a very young 63), who for the life of me, I couldn't understand...Was very funny actually, me just going krup, krup, ahhhh, krup...he he, ging reu? but having no idea what was going on...

Was

the taxi driver? :D

Classic :o

Very clever guy and good value...I'd give him a tip...Get your teeth sorted :D

RAZZ

Here are a couple of other ways you might improve your Thai vocabulary and grammar. Reading Thai wikipedia articles can be interesting, and often include words and phrases that aren't in dictionaries. Also, books that are written for Thai people to learn English can actually help you learn Thai. There are lots of them at all levels, from beginner to very advanced. The best way to improve your speaking and listening is having conversations with Thai people. It takes a long time to get used to the tones. I have learned so much and put so much time into it and I am not even close to feeling fluent.