Koh Lanta, Khao Lak Or Maybe Somewhere Else?

crowbait

I would value advice on where to go next Jan

Stayed in Krabi (Ao Nang) in Jan 07 and loved it!!! Will be going back July 08.

Have stayed in Phuket (Bang Tao & Karon) and Koh Samui (Chawaeng & Bophut).

Krabi was the nicest so far................I like great beaches, good local food (not pizza, not tourist) and can take the heat, a few shops, fantastic scenery etc. but not too many people or too much noise.

I have heard that Khoa Lak has gone very upmarket since the Tsunami and also that Koh Lanta is more expensive than the mainland.

When we were in Krabi, the most we paid for dinner for two was B450 and the quality and choice was fantastic.

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Krabi was the nicest so far................I like great beaches, good local food (not pizza, not tourist) and can take the heat, a few shops, fantastic scenery etc. but not too many people or too much noise.

I have heard that Khoa Lak has gone very upmarket since the Tsunami and also that Koh Lanta is more expensive than the mainland.

When we were in Krabi, the most we paid for dinner for two was B450 and the quality and choice was fantastic.

My advice is stick to Krabi, maybe try Raileybeach.

I have been to Koh Lanta and Khao Lak only once. Never again but thats my personal opinion.

Cheers

Onzestan

Try Koh Kood. I went there a couple of months ago. Very calm and quiet. No shops, not too many ppl. The beach is crystal clean. Very relaxing.

Thanks, I don't know anything about Koh Kood..............I'll have to look it up.

I guess Kamala in Phuket is also in the running, it always seemed a pretty nice place although last time we were in Phuket it was in the immediate aftermath of the Tsunami and it had been devastated.

We found what seems to be an ideal hotel, "Kamala Dreams" which I think would suit us right down to the ground.

However, we are still open to suggestions.

I have been to Koh Lanta and Khao Lak only once. Never again but thats my personal opinion.

Cheers

Onzestan

Thanks, I had had me doubts about both Koh Lanta and Khao Lak so I may well head back to Krabi, although I think I prefer Ao Nang 'coz the beach up by the "Last Cafe" is almost perfect (except, when the tide's out, it's a bloddy long walk to get wet!) and we love the atmosphere on "Massage Alley".

On the other hand we may look at Kamala in Phuket (see below)

Cheers

Onzestan

Thanks, I had had me doubts about both Koh Lanta and Khao Lak so I may well head back to Krabi, although I think I prefer Ao Nang 'coz the beach up by the "Last Cafe" is almost perfect (except, when the tide's out, it's a bloddy long walk to get wet!) and we love the atmosphere on "Massage Alley".

On the other hand we may look at Kamala in Phuket (see below)

Hi again,

There is nothing that compares to the beach at the last cafe. The towering cliffs, the islands in the background, etc. etc.

My first visit to Ao Nang whas 17 years ago, when there where only 4 hotels there and 2 resto's on the promenade.

There used to be a membership club at the "Last Cafe" then. More a joke from the owner than anything else, and I was member nr 7.Brings back memories.

Anyway since then I have been going minimum once a year to Ao Nang and have always enjoyed it, although it's starting to become a bit like Patong now.

Anyway enjoy yourselves there and say hello to Rasta at the Last Fisherman's cafe.

Cheers

Onzestan

This is interesting as I am planning to go visit Koh Lantha this coming summer around may or june.

i've been looking around to see the beaches or islands i must visit when i go down south this year. it would be really great if everyone can give some advice as to where is the best areas to go. i'm currently looking at samui, koh lantha, koh ngai or koh hai as they call it? i've looked at phuket but it looks like a very busy area, additionally i want to go to phi phi island, but what is the difference of phi phi le and just phi phi?

i've looked at many pictures, and many knows pictures captures much more than the eyes can see, and i've realized this fact when i saw how pretty cha-um was on the pictures and i wasn't so happy with it when i saw it in person. :o

anyway, thank u in advance for the help!

This is interesting as I am planning to go visit Koh Lantha this coming summer around may or june.

i've been looking around to see the beaches or islands i must visit when i go down south this year. it would be really great if everyone can give some advice as to where is the best areas to go. i'm currently looking at samui, koh lantha, koh ngai or koh hai as they call it? i've looked at phuket but it looks like a very busy area, additionally i want to go to phi phi island, but what is the difference of phi phi le and just phi phi?

i've looked at many pictures, and many knows pictures captures much more than the eyes can see, and i've realized this fact when i saw how pretty cha-um was on the pictures and i wasn't so happy with it when i saw it in person. :o

anyway, thank u in advance for the help!

See the thread on summer weather or got to the site recommended by Bambina http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand-tr...ion/weather.htm

You may want to consider the Gulf of Thailand resorts rather than the Andaman Sea ones. Koh Samui is a lovely island with a good range of beaches and resorts that cater to most kinds of traveller.

We have stayed at Bophut (restful but not the greatest beach) and Chawaeng (great beach but very lively). Lamai looks nice - good beach, not as built-up as Chawaeng.

I haven't been to Cha Am or Hua Hin or around Pattaya so I can't comment on those

Hope this helps