N O Visa Extension due to Retirement rejected.

Thinking I had all the bases covered I go to Nonthaburi Immigration 4 days early (due September 4).

Everything that worked before isn’t working now.

My bank books weren’t good enough so they sent me to my bank to get a letter that I had an account and 6 mos of transactions.

Finally got in the Queue and my number called and presented my documents to the officer.

I have been using the 65000 Thai Baht system for the past 9 years and transferring the money from US bank to a Thai bank using ATMs.

I kept all the receipts but was told today that the transfers must be transacted from my US bank to my Thai bank directly. There has to be an official paper trail that the International money transfer was executed bank to bank.

They would not accept all my ATM receipts.

This is a hard lesson learned and a word of warning.

My visa expires in 5 days. What are my options?

They offered going to Laos and start over with a NO 90 day visa and come back in 2 or 3 mos and ask for extension.

They also offered (I declined) paying 500 baht fine for 3 months while I transfer documented money the new correct way.

Can I get an NO 90 day visa in some other country like Vietnam.?

I’m all ears.

ChanwitUSA

Edited by chanwit

Sorry to say you have made a lot of mistakes here and Nonthaburi were within their rights to say no. You also left things very late. I believe I have heard that Nonthaburi are hard to please. In the past perhaps you had an Embassy letter?

You could come back on a Visa Waiver or Tourist Visa, and convert the entry to that of a non-Imm-O. 

How many months of transfers are they willing to accept to qualify?

OP, could you explain the 500baht option. Seems simple solution. BTW are you the only person using ATM to bring funds into los. Probably the most expensive way to transfer money. Not having a go just suggesting you check out other options.

4 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

The B500 seem very reasonable. Much cheaper that getting a new visa. BTW make sure you funds arrive coded as a foreign transfer. In the past people just did an ATM withdrawal but immigration wants documentation

To clear what they said was 500 Thai baht per day for 3 months.

Plus overextending visa would be criminal wouldn’t it?  Ut that’s what they gave me as an option. The 3 months would be used to do the money transfers the way the new rules demand.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, could you explain the 500baht option. Seems simple solution. BTW are you the only person using ATM to bring funds into los. Probably the most expensive way to transfer money. Not having a go just suggesting you check out other options.

I guess the ATM way was the way it all began but I’m enlightened now. I once had the manager at my bank transfer a large sum from US but it was such an ordeal that didn’t think that was an option for smaller amounts to satisfy the 65,000 Thai baht monthly.

What are the other ways?

5 minutes ago, chanwit said:

I guess the ATM way was the way it all began but I’m enlightened now. I once had the manager at my bank transfer a large sum from US but it was such an ordeal that didn’t think that was an option for smaller amounts to satisfy the 65,000 Thai baht monthly.

What are the other ways?

You could start a thread in money/finance forum. Most guys from USA seem to use transferwise. If I need funds urgent I use OFX. Both those companies can transfer for you. Better than banks and other methods. 

Personally I avoid both and when I have brief visit back home return with $20k USD. Go to superrich green Thailand and exchange. If your relying on monthly income method then that's not an option. Those guys are wasting money.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Sorry to say you have made a lot of mistakes here and Nonthaburi were within their rights to say no. You also left things very late. I believe I have heard that Nonthaburi are hard to please. In the past perhaps you had an Embassy letter?

You could come back on a Visa Waiver or Tourist Visa, and convert the entry to that of a non-Imm-O. 

How many months of transfers are they willing to accept to qualify?

Yes, the letter from my embassy has been the way it was done on my previous 9 renewals. I was blindsided that I couldn’t deposit money in my Thai bank account through the ATM or counter deposit. I was wrong to think that they just wanted to see the money in account.

5 hours ago, chanwit said:

They would not accept all my ATM receipts.

This is a hard lesson learned and a word of warning.

I don't thing anybody reading Thai visa or who has some rational to find out before hand, would go to immigration office with ATM slips and expect a renewal. And, who keeps their ATM slips? I never take any paper slip from ATM. 

Edited by onera1961

They also offered (I declined) paying 500 baht fine for 3 months

500 fine for 3-month extension is cheap. Why did't you take that offer? Sorry, understand now. 500BHT/day for three months for over stay. Definitely not an acceptable options. If you have an account in Bangkok bank, you can use Transferwise and select the option Money to live in Thailand and it comes properly coded for immigration to accept.

Edited by onera1961

45,000 Thai baht (500 per day times 90 days) 

So basically she was advising you to overstay. Wonderful.

Exactly the type of professional advice you would expect from an IO in Thailand. So that police can knock at your door and take you to IDC, keep you there for a few weeks, and deport you.

6 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I don't thing anybody reading Thai visa or who has some rational to find out before hand, would go to immigration office with ATM slips and expect a renewal. And, who keeps their ATM slips? I never take any paper slip from ATM. 

Mine seem to fade to little bits of blank paper too! I would have to photograph them on the day. The cause of this was the Embassies who withdrew letters.

10 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Staggers  me when people actually  have the  money that Thailand refuses  them.

You thought 5 years of anti foreigner propaganda, countless X ray foreigner operations (every week or two - they seem to have stopped recently though), would not affect the mindset of Thais?

Nationalistic vibe, exactly what they wanted in 2014. Now every foreigner is treated with suspicion.

Report the foreigner now! Do you want the bomb to explode in your residence?

You must have seen the cartoon video surely.

Today, foreigner = national security problem.

Edited by lkv
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The cause of this was the Embassies who withdrew letters.

No it wasn't. its  the inability of  a  country to accept  that there's  way more  than  one way to show you have the money.

The govt stupidly  imposes ridiculous way to do this, can't bring in a lump sum can't bring it in twice  a year etc etc, have the  money but oh no not every month shown BLOODY STUPID.

Next they'll want it  all brought in and deposited each month at their  office in 1  baht coins whilst you dance on one leg singing the national anthem.

Then on top of that none of them really know their own rules, none of them follow their  own rules and can do anything they want.

10 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

No it wasn't. its  the inability of  a  country to accept  that there's  way more  than  one way to show you have the money.

The govt stupidly  imposes ridiculous way to do this, can't bring in a lump sum can't bring it in twice  a year etc etc, have the  money but oh no not every month shown BLOODY STUPID.

Next they'll want it  all brought in and deposited each month at their  office in 1  baht coins whilst you dance on one leg singing the national anthem.

Then on top of that none of them really know their own rules, none of them follow their  own rules and can do anything they want.

What you are saying is not correct and seems more like a rant. The withdrawal of Embassy letters caused the problems for many, in particular the original poster. 

It is the governments prerogative to define how it wants the money demonstrated, income from abroad was an accommodation they quickly made after the withdrawal of Embassy letters, which prior had become obligatory.

You can bring in a lump sum, it needs to be 800,000 or 400,000 baht. 

If people struggle with it, an agent can relieve the irritation, 15,000 baht a year.

Just now, jacko45k said:

What you are saying is not correct and seems more like a rant. The withdrawal of Embassy letters caused the problems for many, in particular the original poster. 

It is the governments prerogative to define how it wants the money demonstrated, income from abroad was an accommodation they quickly made after the withdrawal of Embassy letters, which prior had become obligatory.

You can bring in a lump sum, it needs to be 800,000 or 400,000 baht. 

If people struggle with it, an agent can relieve the irritation, 15,000 baht a year.

But bringing in 400k twice  a year makes you a  bad  guy even if you've done it for 20-30 years though you clearly  have and can show  the money, its plain stupidity , your  comments seem  like an apologist.

• Sad 1

Just now, gunderhill said:

But bringing in 400k twice  a year makes you a  bad  guy even if you've done it for 20-30 years though you clearly  have and can show  the money, its plain stupidity , your  comments seem  like an apologist.

Would 400k once not cover a marriage extension? And 800k left in the bank gets a retirement extension and no need to show where it came from. You can call me an apologist (I suspect I am far from that) but the reality is income, sent to Thailand, without Embassy letter support, was brought in at short notice as an accommodation for those who lost Embassy letters. Had the embassy letters actually done what was intended of them (verified income in home country), they likely would never have been withdrawn. 

You have 400k to bring in every 6 months, send it in 6 separate transfers each month, it qualifies you for the extension.

• Thanks 1