Where do I go?' EU citizens face legal limbo after decades in Britain

Jonathan Fairfield

If she's been there for 55 years it'll hardly be a problem to wrangle up some evidence of it. My guess is that she hasn't bothered to actually supply them with requested documents, but rather just assumed that they would take her word for it and give her settled status.

I've dealt with people of that kind before; they're the kind who will huff, puff, ask to talk to the manager, and complain about their privacy being invaded when you ask them to show proof of ID. They always think there's a way around going through the actual proper procedure by complaining and making a scene.

16 minutes ago, Myran said:

If she's been there for 55 years it'll hardly be a problem to wrangle up some evidence of it. My guess is that she hasn't bothered to actually supply them with requested documents, but rather just assumed that they would take her word for it and give her settled status.

I've dealt with people of that kind before; they're the kind who will huff, puff, ask to talk to the manager, and complain about their privacy being invaded when you ask them to show proof of ID. They always think there's a way around going through the actual proper procedure by complaining and making a scene.

Easy,  toss her out as well

10 hours ago, nontabury said:

Perhaps before you shout your head off, you should check how difficult it is for a foreigner to obtain a Thai passport. And further, check how many Farangs are successful in actually obtaining a Thai passport.

I never said it was easy to obtain PR in Thailand, let alone citizenship. But it is possible. 

@evadgib lambasted people for not doing what he has not done; unless he has obtained PR in Thailand in which case I withdraw my remark.

I know of one Thai married to a Brit living in the U.K with their two children. She’s been here now for more than 10yrs on What visa, I don’t know. But I do know she’s never attempted to obtain a Brit passport. 

Likewise I also know of a Chinese lady married to a Brit, who has been here for 5+ yrs. Again no attempt to obtain a British passport, as she does not want to give up her Chinese passport.

How is this relevant? This topic is about EU/EEA migrants and the difficulties they have had in obtaining settled status. Nothing to do with non EU/EEA migrants at all.

Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK is, as the name tells you, indefinite! There is no compulsion for any one who holds it to apply for naturalisation as British.

You forgot to mention how many more E.u citizens reside in the U.K. than Brits living in the E.u. 

Secondly, I have not read or heard of any political party advocating a complete stop to E.u national from coming to work in the U.K. The Brexit party, are very clear on this point, they wish to implement an Aussie point system, including no discrimination regarding Nationality,Race,Gender or Religion. This of course would apply to citizens of the E.u. Exactly the same to citizens from any other country.

You have forgotten to mention that EU/EEA migrants in the UK are mostly workers or the familty of same whilst most British migrants living in the other 27 are pensioners.

You have also forgotten to mention that this means EU/EEA migrants in the UK pay more per head in taxes than British migrants living in other EU/EEA countries.

Why all this talk about introducing a points system similar to Australia for workers who want to come to the UK? We already have such!

I can understand you and other posters not knowing this; I can certainly understand Farage not knowing this; but the PM not knowing it! Really? 

If he really does know so little about the UK's immigration rules, Points-based system: Tier 2 Guidance on deciding applications for people to enter or remain in the UK as a Tier 2 migrant. is a good place to start.

Edited by 7by7
Typo

4 hours ago, nahkit said:
23 hours ago, 7by7 said:

One cannot apply for ILR if one is a British citizen! Get your facts right!

Where you drunk when you wrote that, go back and read what I wrote!

Never mind, I'll re-print it here for you.

" You don't have to be, or become, a British citizen to apply for indefinite leave to remain as the spouse of a British citizen. "

Indeed, that is what you wrote, and it contains a major error.

As I said, one cannot apply for leave to remain in the UK if one is a British citizen!

8 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjN_be6o7PkAhUIsY8KHcpfCIEQFjAOegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-3403136%2FHow-20-000-Indians-slipped-UK-Portuguese-passports-legally.html&usg=AOvVaw3nsl2s_m1O495c4bYqFbNR

This one, 100s more, states how 20,000  Indians slipped through the net applying for Portuguese passports ,but but surprisingly arrived into the UK....now Id put the figure far higher,probably 100s of thousands,yet your "family commitments"  lol must blind you to the obvious,never mind you must have "missed it" ,but please do bang on about leave to remain...this lot wont,pitchforked out in less than two months time    Good one !

That article says that many of them are working, makes no mention if them coming here and immediately being given council houses and benefits. It's from The Mail; they would have mentioned that were it so!

So were is the evidence to back up you claims that EU migrants flood into the UK and are immediately given such benefits; like your mysterious Slovakian woman and her 8 kids?

2 hours ago, Myran said:

Try reading the OP before commenting; you'll look less foolish that way!

"She spent about three months compiling documents to apply for settled status. They included tax returns, bank statements, her qualifications and social security number, known in Britain as a national insurance number.........

.........By the time she had finished collecting documents she filled a box, which was so heavy it cost her 35 pounds to post."

• Thanks 2

All documents go to Mumbai for checking and they don’t understand half of what is sent I know someone who sent over 300 documents that where Notarised and they refuse on two things and it was clearly that the documents where there on what it was refused for 

everything go to Mumbai for visas citizenships  

1 minute ago, Papafarang said:

All documents go to Mumbai for checking and they don’t understand half of what is sent I know someone who sent over 300 documents that where Notarised and they refuse on two things and it was clearly that the documents where there on what it was refused for 

everything go to Mumbai for visas citizenships  

This topic is about applications made in the UK and they are processed in the UK.

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If you can't remember what you've posted, that's your problem, not mine.

Maybe take more water with it?

Yet "I'm still waiting for...." is your default position in the other direction which is repeatedly repeated if the answer isn't to your liking ????

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

That article says that many of them are working, makes no mention if them coming here and immediately being given council houses and benefits. It's from The Mail; they would have mentioned that were it so!

So were is the evidence to back up you claims that EU migrants flood into the UK and are immediately given such benefits; like your mysterious Slovakian woman and her 8 kids?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiasO-jprTkAhVBXSsKHfSiBnMQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hindustantimes.com%2Fworld-news%2Fgoans-with-portuguese-passports-to-benefit-from-uk-plan-for-eu-citizens-post-brexit%2Fstory-iQZON4x2p7qPiCqM2nLB6M.html&usg=AOvVaw3-mZkENKBIAqF02uco9uTK

Loads of it,not just DM      Ill dig out the Slovak woman bit  its all there ,  but bet your life the Indians living in UK will be getting the order of the boot sooner than later

You will be looking forward no doubt to mass expulsions  I am  The Indians arrive with kids  says so    schooling too so your estimation that not one of them is using social housing,welfare,education seems just a little absurd, a quick note to Swindon contact informs they are all spongers,see if he will put more information here,good from the horses mouth,but it is nice to see how happy and satisfied in the UK they have become,even nicer to see the order of the boot descends on them too 

Edited by zorrow424

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

Yet "I'm still waiting for...." is your default position in the other direction which is repeatedly repeated if the answer isn't to your liking ????

As I thought; you don't like it when people play your silly games back at you!

You basically said that these people only had themselves to blame because they had done 'sod all' (your words, not mine) since 2016 to obtain settled status in the UK.

I pointed out that the Home Office had told them to wait until they were told what to do, which didn't happen until January 2019.

I further pointed out that before that they were in the same position as most foreigners in Thailand; could apply for PR and even citizenship if they wanted to, but there was until Brexit no legal requirement for them to do so.

So tell us; have you applied for PR in Thailand, or are you lambasting people for not doing something you haven't done?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

<snip>

Loads of it,not just DM

Never denied that there were other sources for this story about those from Goa.

But you have only produced this cases, which you haven't mentioned before, and even the Daily Mail doesn't claim they are here to claim benefits; indeed it tells us about them working!

Ill dig out the Slovak woman bit  its all there

IIRC you first mentioned her and was asked for evidence in another topic well over a week ago, and in all that time have found nothing except the Goan story!

a quick note to Swindon contact informs they are all spongers

Really? Where is that note? Who is it from?

I haven't bothered to quote the rest of your post; mainly because the appallingly low standard of grammar makes much of it incomprehensible. Is English your first language?

I assume you hatred of immigrants and desire to see them all sent back to whence they came applies equally to Westerners living in Thailand; or are you yet another of the anti immigration immigrants so common in these topics?

But I doubt anyone wants to migrate to live under your bridge with you.

Edited by 7by7

40 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You basically said that these people only had themselves to blame because they had done 'sod all' (your words, not mine) since 2016 to obtain settled status in the UK.

I pointed out that the Home Office had told them to wait until they were told what to do, which didn't happen until January 2019.

I further pointed out that before that they were in the same position as most foreigners in Thailand; could apply for PR and even citizenship if they wanted to, but there was until Brexit no legal requirement for them to do so.

So tell us; have you applied for PR in Thailand, or are you lambasting people for not doing something you haven't done?

UK was never in ASEAN, Thailand isn't leaving & PR isn't available to retirees (& only about 30 eligible applicants per annum are successful) therefore you don't really have a point.

Will that suffice or will you swear blind that I haven't answered again tomorrow? ????

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Then surely after the people’s Democratic decision to leave this so called union in 2016, they should have realised the writing was on the wall, that they would be required to make arrangements to remain in our country, or were they hoping that our arrogant and treacherous M.P. would be successful in overturning the people’s vote.

517E508E-E896-4E1C-B08F-38E86F654C06.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Then surely after the people’s Democratic decision to leave this so called union in 2016, they should have realised the writing was on the wall, that they would be required to make arrangements to remain in our country, or were they hoping that our arrogant and treacherous M.P. would be successful in overturning the people’s vote.

As I have already said, at least twice, the Home Office advice was to do nothing until told otherwise.

As it says in the OP (try reading it before commenting!), people were not told what was required and could not apply until January 2019!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, kingdong said:

didn,t take long for project fear to raise its ugly head.

It's funny with the project fear. It always comes up, when you look at the consequences of Brexit for the UK population. Your project hope has no light, except for the rich tax avoiders in the UK.

And if you believe that Brexit has no negativ consequences for the UK, you are fully lulled into the flat-headed propaganda.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed, that is what you wrote, and it contains a major error.

As I said, one cannot apply for leave to remain in the UK if one is a British citizen!

And I never said that either, learn to read.

" You don't have to be, or become, a British citizen to apply for indefinite leave to remain as the spouse of a British citizen. Get your facts right! "

Are you really incapable of understanding the above sentence or just trolling?

Edited by nahkit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, nahkit said:

And I never said that either, learn to read.

" You don't have to be, or become, a British citizen to apply for indefinite leave to remain as the spouse of a British citizen. Get your facts right! "

Are you really incapable of understanding the above sentence or just trolling?

"You don't have to be..." is not the same as "You cannot...if..."

Indeed, your comment indicates that you believed that British citizens could apply for ILR.

Which is incorrect; a British citizen cannot apply for ILR, or any other type of leave to enter or remain in the UK.

You cocked up; just leave it before you continue making a fool of yourself.

30 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

"You don't have to be..." is not the same as "You cannot...if..."

Indeed, your comment indicates that you believed that British citizens could apply for ILR.

Which is incorrect; a British citizen cannot apply for ILR, or any other type of leave to enter or remain in the UK.

You cocked up; just leave it before you continue making a fool of yourself.

My comments indicate nothing of the sort.

This is what you wrote:-

"They should not be forced to apply for British citizenship."

And my reply was :-

"You don't have to be, or become, a British citizen to apply for indefinite leave to remain as the spouse of a British citizen."

In earlier posts I questioned your sobriety, now I question your sanity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nahkit said:

My comments indicate nothing of the sort.

This is what you wrote:-

"They should not be forced to apply for British citizenship."

And my reply was :-

"You don't have to be, or become, a British citizen to apply for indefinite leave to remain as the spouse of a British citizen."

In earlier posts I questioned your sobriety, now I question your sanity.

You are in a hole; stop digging!

12 minutes ago, nahkit said:
18 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You are in a hole; stop digging!

Don't you mean "stop feeding the troll"?

No, I meant you are in a hole, stop digging.

But you are right; I am going to stop feeding you.