More light-runners expected to be nabbed with new intersection cameras

rooster59

More light-runners expected to be nabbed with new intersection cameras

By Jessada Chantharak
The Nation

800_c64298b1d8e9087.jpg

The Metropolitan Police Bureau’s Traffic Police Division will officially implement a revamped red-light camera system at 30 intersections across the city from September 1 onward, deputy city police chief Maj-General Jirasan Kaewsaeng-ake said on Friday.

Presiding over the project re-launch at the traffic police command on Bangkok’s Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road, Jirasan noted that many of the city’s road accidents stemmed from people running a red light, and so police have tried to arrest as many offenders as possible to discourage that behaviour.

20190830131252593.jpg

As of July, city police had arrested 1,932 red-light runners, he said. The revamped system’s soft run from August 1-25, identified 22,260 violators (an average of 890 violators per day). Seventy per cent (15,728 violators) took place during daytime, with the remainder at night. The top three worst-hit sites during daytime were Ratchada-Rama 4 at 3,082 cases, Narinthorn (outbound) at 2,534 cases, and Taksin at 2,163 cases, while the top-three worst-hit sites at night were Ratchada-Rama 4 at 1,288 cases, Asoke-Phetchaburi (972 cases and Narinthorn (outbound) 939 cases.

20190830131252150.jpg

Improved from the system in place since 2009, this updated version uses more high-tech operational system. It has been removed from seven camera-equipped intersections currently affected by major infrastructure construction to new locations, while 23 other spots remained the same, Jirasan said. The 30 intersections where red-light runners will be automatically detected and recorded both day and night include Phayathai, Urupong, Meng Jai, Asoke-Phetchaburi, Prachanukul, Ratchada-Lat Phrao, Nida, Prawet, Pho Kaew, Ratchada-Rama 4, and Sathorn.

Each intersection will be installed with 2-3 activated-around-the-clock high-definition and infrared-equipped cameras. Two warning signs – at 100 metres and 500 metres before motorists reached the camera’s focus point – will give drivers a chance to save themselves. Data could be stored for at least two months.

20190830131253001.jpg

Both still and motion images of a law-breaking car will be sent to the traffic police control and command centre to check against the car registration number, vehicle model and colour, and then a traffic ticket will be issued and sent to the car's owner within seven days.

Car owners could also retrospectively check the prior offences via the website www.trafficpolice.go.th by using the password attached in the footnote of the traffic ticket, with the information kept there for at least one year, Jirasan noted. The offence of running a red light is punishable by a maximum Bt1,000 fine, but the city police would impose a Bt500 fine, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375629

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-31

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

" The offence of running a red light is punishable by a maximum Bt1,000 fine, but the city police would impose a Bt500 fine, "

Hardly discouraging them, when the chances of getting caught in the first place are minimal.

This is one of the more serious/dangerous motoring offences, and warrants a 10,000Baht fine!. Don't jump the lights, don't get fined!

Edited by prakhonchai nick
  • Like 1

What is light running a function of? In other words, what causes light running? People will run the light when they know if they stop they will have to wait as much as 10 minutes for the next green light. a project needs to be started that maximizes the number of cars through the intersection. having only 1 lane go at a time is not good. this will cause light running.

Right turns are the problem. stop allowing them or allow only 10 seconds for right turn then turn on the green light for dual direction. IN USA many place do not allow these turns. the drive must go straight then U-turn and go back to the light.  

I know intersection where I absolutely know there will be light running. so I am careful. the problem is huge in Thailand and I think the solution is even bigger.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will the violators have points deducted ?   How many ?   Can't be more than two because drunk driving can get you just two !

Same goes for speeding tickets.   I've not seen any suggestion that the points deduction principle also applies to camera / postal ticketing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The most dangerous intersection I have ever seen in the world for running red lights is in Pattaya - the adjacent T-intersections of Khao Talo and Sukhumvit, and Thepprasit and Sukhumvi

Spooky I was just about to mention that especially the Khao Talo and Sukhumvit intersection. Just last week I was waiting to cross from Khao Talo to head to Big C. Knowing the lights I always wait for the green because the red light seems to have a delay on it. So I started to cross on green along with others but had my front m'bike wheel caught by a lunatic who clearly just ignored the red light. Luckily enough I managed to control the bike and avoid hitting the tarmac.  

Edited by rtco
Spelling mistake
  • Sad 1

Has anyone ever wondered why red light jumping is at epidemic proportions here? 

Is there something in a Thais DNA that makes their head explode if they have to stop for more than 10 seconds? 

I've no idea if Thailand has a version of the saying 'patience is a virtue', buy if it doesn't then it jolly well needs one!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Has anyone ever wondered why red light jumping is at epidemic proportions here? 

Is there something in a Thais DNA that makes their head explode if they have to stop for more than 10 seconds? 

I've no idea if Thailand has a version of the saying 'patience is a virtue', buy if it doesn't then it jolly well needs one!

Perhaps that's the reason for squeezing spots at the traffic lights? I relieves the pressure build-up to prevent the head exploding.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

What I have noticed ,these thai light runners on scooters,refusing to wait for the light don't actually run the light straight through, they turn left into the lane,make a little u turn, and then come back out ,thus beating the red light....fools

This is absolutely legal, as long they do not cross the solid lines during the U-turn, give way to the traffic coming from the left, and give way to the traffic coming from the right, when they make their second left turn. I do the same, as I refuse to wait sometimes 170 seconds in the sun due to the "intelligently programmed" traffic light circuit.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

One of the biggest problems at lights is the time taken for the vehicle on "pole position" to start moving. Often 6/7 seconds elapse before there is movement, and then the vehicle just crawls along.  All too soon the lights are red once again.

Perhaps, if the time should ever come, when there is a real driving test, motorists should be shown a film of F1 starts from "pole"

I agree however in many cases you can understand the reluctance - IE someone may be coming through the red from the side at speed. When they patently aren't paying attention/on the phone etc then if directly behind a sharp toot on the horn is often necessary.

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The most dangerous intersection I have ever seen in the world for running red lights is in Pattaya - the adjacent T-intersections of Khao Talo and Sukhumvit, and Thepprasit and Sukhumvit. This has to be seen to be believed. Sheer freaking insanity. Sadly, I can't see a camera system solving the problem. 

Instead of spending money on that joke of an underpass further up Sukhumvit, the authorities should have redesigned these two intersections. 

Yes, i agree.  I live quite near to that intersection and getting out of Khaotalo onto Sukhumvit is quite dangerous.  It is quite usual for tour buses - and others - on Sukhumvit to continue to barrel through the lights for maybe ten seconds after they have turned to red.

The other problem then is trying to turn right into Threpprasit because of the impatient idiots who make a third 'turning right' lane at the junction.  It can be like 'Whacky Races' because then three lanes have to merge into two at the start of Threpprasit!

• Like 1