More light-runners expected to be nabbed with new intersection cameras

rooster59

6 hours ago, mok199 said:

What I have noticed ,these thai light runners on scooters,refusing to wait for the light don't actually run the light straight through, they turn left into the lane,make a little u turn, and then come back out ,thus beating the red light....fools

The minivan I was on going to Bangkok recently did this on four occasions.

• Haha 1

Whilst I applaud the idea it does nothing to improve other traffic violations.

The police have to GET OUT of the "control boxes" & physically do the beat.

Only yesterday we had to walk on the road so motorbike taxis can use the footpath going the wrong way.

The other point of importance is this technology is fine, but take a look at where people are getting killed ,,,, certainly not where these cameras are

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rtco said:

Spooky I was just about to mention that especially the Khao Talo and Sukhumvit intersection. Just last week I was waiting to cross from Khao Talo to head to Big C. Knowing the lights I always wait for the green because the red light seems to have a delay on it. So I started to cross on green along with others but had my front m'bike wheel caught by a lunatic who clearly just ignored the red light. Luckily enough I managed to control the bike and avoid hitting the tarmac.  

Wow! Glad you're ok. On many occasions I've had to scream out warnings to other riders about vehicles ploughing thru the red light.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

What I have noticed ,these thai light runners on scooters,refusing to wait for the light don't actually run the light straight through, they turn left into the lane,make a little u turn, and then come back out ,thus beating the red light....fools

clever....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, phetpeter said:

I think once they work out that you can't renew your road tax if you don't pay the fine is going to upset another department. They will have to work out away that when you go to pay your road tax that the fine charges are added to your road tax payment. so to purchase road tax you must pay the fines at the same time!. That would make sense. The tax office are not going to stop you paying road tax. Because it would mean people will just register the car under another family members name...Duh!

ahhhh blah blah blah...   just dont have licence and dont pay road tax easy...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Put cameras on every light and leave them on all the time. Increase the fines and find a way of catching motorcyclists as well. It is not only light runners but these jokers that make illegal turns as well.

yes genius...   hows that work when 12 yo dont have a licence and the plate made of wood?????

think about it!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

Wow! Glad you're ok. On many occasions I've had to scream out warnings to other riders about vehicles ploughing thru the red light.

If I can, and it's not too dangerous, I now try to get in front of these <deleted>#$wit red light jumpers and then slow right down and stop tyhem in no mans land, give them the middle finger, and then drive off ... they don't like it! Just done it on the Pattaya Klang/Sukhumvit junction ... he wasn't a happy bunny.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rtco said:

If I can, and it's not too dangerous, I now try to get in front of these <deleted>#$wit red light jumpers and then slow right down and stop tyhem in no mans land, give them the middle finger, and then drive off ... they don't like it! Just done it on the Pattaya Klang/Sukhumvit junction ... he wasn't a happy bunny.

Be careful mate, pick your mark carefully. I did the same as you and the guy tried to spin his pickup around to chase me. He actually tried to knock bikes out of the way to get after me. But he was too boxed in. The other riders blew their horns and gave him a hard time, and he had to give up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Be careful mate, pick your mark carefully. I did the same as you and the guy tried to spin his pickup around to chase me. He actually tried to knock bikes out of the way to get after me. But he was too boxed in. The other riders blew their horns and gave him a hard time, and he had to give up. 

Don't worry I choose my battles carefully and will make sure they can't chase me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use a plate flipper.  It's a brilliant device.  When I approach a red light I want to run, I press a button on the dash and the plates flip down out of camera view.  Then I run the light with impunity, flipping the plates back up when back in compliance.  When I am out in the country doing 140 kph, not knowing if or where cameras might be, I keep the plates flipped down, flipping them back up when approaching a checkpoint or entering a town.  Just love this device.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I believe light runners should be fined but if you got millions of tickets unpaid from violation already what is going to be different. One major problem is the light system here at intersection much too long it bleeds the impatience in drivers! Get a computer system 60 years old from the West it would be better than anything you got now get your manpower out of those recreation boxes and start patrolling and fining drivers on the spot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

people who think that  posing for those king of photos is a good idea, hardly inspire one tithing that they are in anyway up to the task of understanding the aims and issues of such a project let alone running it.

They re shoving out loads of numbers as if this a is some kind of vindication.....it doesn't relate those numbers in any way to possible benefits to road safety or collisions, furthermore if previous exercises are anything to go by, the initial burst of enthusiasm will eventually be replaced by a state of apathy was the increasingly disappointing statistics will reveal less and less about what is going on and as no-one understaood the goals in the first place it will drown in a mire of obfuscation as they try to Dra attention away from the amount of money that has been wasted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, james.d said:

The government could make millions of baht per year at 1 minor junction near me. The initial cost of installation would be repaid within a month and more importantly Save Lives.

As pointed out earlier, it is unlikely than red light cameras will save a signifanct number of lives if any at all.

They nay for while line some pockets though.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 8:33 AM, irwinfc said:

those junctions/intersections have nothing on victory monument. i often see at least 10 violators there in 60 seconds. and that's only from one side. 

Lets not forget the pathanakhan and sirinakan rd intercetion too. As you can stand there and for each red light see at least 4 or 5 runners each time nearly every time. And the police sit there and watch it too. Hell ive even watched the police standing in the intersection while 10 plus cars ran a single red light. Driving right past the police too as he watched each one of them. 

On 8/31/2019 at 5:11 PM, The Preacher said:

I use a plate flipper.  It's a brilliant device.  When I approach a red light I want to run, I press a button on the dash and the plates flip down out of camera view.  Then I run the light with impunity, flipping the plates back up when back in compliance.  When I am out in the country doing 140 kph, not knowing if or where cameras might be, I keep the plates flipped down, flipping them back up when approaching a checkpoint or entering a town.  Just love this device.

send me a link for the flipper please

On 8/31/2019 at 8:39 AM, bluesofa said:

You're using ferang logic there.

I'm sure the Thai logic is: remove/obscure your number plate, then if caught blame anyone else you can.

They can easily arrange the  camaras to take the rear number plate no doubt.

Here's a quick fix for the problem. 

All persons who have not renewed their license recently are required to undergo mandatory testing. 

Send all persons a printed copy of the road laws to the address of the current license. 

No excuse for ignorance then.