What are expats really saying when they say they don't feel welcome anymore in the LOS

4MyEgo

On 8/31/2019 at 3:52 PM, CMNightRider said:

Maybe what expats who have lived in Thailand for years but are now leaving are saying is "enough is enough."  Thai Immigration has taken their moronic rules and regulations for foreigners to live in Thailand, to some sort of stellar height.  

In the long run, Thailand will pay a price for purging their country of westerners.  If these people want a dictatorship, then I hope it works out for them.  According to world history, leaders who have gone down this road before didn't fair too well.    

It is almost as if the Thai Government are trying to emulate the Great Xi to the North.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:36 PM, 4MyEgo said:

+ 1

I read it as "you cannot afford to live here anymore". Not welcome unless have olenty money and even then, under sufferance.

It must be remembered that these guys have very little experience of people outside their own monolithic culture. It's not like a Westerner who is used to living in Multicultural Society. Not like a western that, either, who is brought up with values of open-minded tolerance and curiosity about others. The Westin that does not feel threatened in the same way as these guys must do. It worked out

Well stated.  Many of the issues the farangs complain about here on TV are the same issues people complained about where I used to live in the US.  Farmers burning their fields, lousy drivers, corrupt do-nothing government, lousy infrastructure, etc.  It appears to me that many of the people on TV can't or won't be happy no matter where they live.  It's not the place, it's them.

• Like 1

After coming out and staying a couple of times every year for a few months visa runs and reports This year I have no idea how to deal with required medical insurance, return flight stipulations, o ly single entry visas and tm30. In addition to the double whammy of high baht and sinking £Gbp. What have I done LOS ?

On 9/2/2019 at 12:20 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I can appreciate where your coming from, but from someone with 25 years with a property background in all facets, a couple of quick thoughts.

1) What if one or two or all 3 became properties became vacant all at the same time for a period of time, how would affect your income requirements ?

2) Ever thought of a line of credit from the bank which you could put in the bank over here, off-set by the rental payments, you wouldn't need to draw down on it, only drawing down on the required amount, therefore only paying the interest on the amount you have drawn down, e.g. 800,000 or 400,000 depending on the extension requirement you require, that or pay 20,000 for one of those flees/agents to fuel their and some immigration officers needs.

Property is a good long term investment, but as with any investment, we can't take it with us, so maybe eat some of the fruit you have sowed, before you rot.

3 years ago I got rid of my property to avoid paying 1/3rd in taxes and future Capital Gains Tax as a non resident, the timing was perfect as a year later the market went south,  now around 20% down, as I have seen similar properties online selling for around $150k AUD less, and I still have ALL of the funds, reinvested into shares and put in the banks back in Oz, I only pay 10% tax on the interest, or little that I receive from them and as I don't pay any kind of tax on the shares, I have for the 1st time in my life experienced a no worries life, but you do have to have control on what you are doing, and I haven't basically changed anything that I would do on a my usual daily routines, except don't get up to go to work, which was the goal, e.g. retire at an early age. As I said property is a good long term investment, but life is short, and we have to enjoy that, and with money, the Thai government to me is not an issue when you guide yourself around their rules and regulations, even if they don't make sense to us, it's part of the Thai culture isn't it, duck and weave, and keep smiling, that's life here in the LOS, isn't it ????

I once had 4 properties, asset rich, cash strapped, and pretty tight, especially when interest rates went up 8% in a short time back in the late 80's, but as I said, you have to eat some of the fruits you sow, otherwise some family member/s will be smiling and saying dad or uncle Bob was a great guy, as they pi$$ it up the wall when you cark it. 

Thank you. Good points. Good advice.  But I despise the military dict*****ip.  The world is a big place. No tin pot di****ship will force me to sell up especially UK property during these Brexit times, which are a lesson to the whole world about the painful truth of democracy. We are not scared. Not oppressed The Thais are... thus we have stupid  racist laws which are xenophobic and ultimately oppress the Thai people. As foreigners here our problems are irrelevant. Ultimately all foreigners have to decide if we want to artificially support a strong baht against our own interests by supporting the government with massive deposits.  Only stupid Turkeys vote for Christmas. I would go further. Any educated foreign   from a democratic country is supporting a quazi fascist dictatorship by agreeing to give them 30 thousand American dollars per person. Its bullsh!t. I am English You are Australian.  We have choice the Thais dont. But thank for your perceptive respnse regarding,  investments , property and the length of life we might have. Funnily enough, I was going to sell one of my properties to fund my further life in Thailand then I looked at the despicable leader and his cronies and the IO regs and Realised I DROPPED OUT OF THAT SH!T WHEN I WAS 16...I Only obey authoritarian woggery when im paid big money   saudi, iran   libya etc

• Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 10:01 AM, sanemax said:

Thailand will survive , but many Thais will suffer .

Taxi drivers , bars , restarants , condo landlords , Thai airways , mom& pop shops in the village , families in villages.................many Thais will suffer

This is simply not a true statement.

Expat influence on the GDP as whole is approx. 0.6%

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

This is simply not a true statement.

Expat influence on the GDP as whole is approx. 0.6%

Well, as previously stated , Thailand isnt going to suffer to much ,although many individual Thais who rely on foreigners to make a profit , will indeed suffer .

0.6% may be the figure for Thailand overall , but for some Thais ,the figure can be 100% and lower