Which Usd Notes Are Not Wanted By Thai Banks?

The AUD is up against the USD right now and I am not far away from another big long trip to Thailand and other parts of SE Asia. I would like to buy some USD cash here in OZ and if I remember rightly that some exchange booths in Thailand would not change some of the US denomination notes.

What denomination notes USD won't they change and what years would that apply for? I do remember some years back in Phuket some 50's and 100's were not accepted, this may have changed now. I just don't want to buy the wrong notes in OZ.

Secondly, you guys are great here with your wealth of knowledge, could someone tell me of a forex trader that I could use to buy and sell currency online? I looked at forex.com but they say a minimum trade is $10,000; I am not ready for that yet. Is there anyone I can use from Australia that will accept lower trades, say of $1,000 to $5,000 USD?

Thanks guys.

The AUD is up against the USD right now and I am not far away from another big long trip to Thailand and other parts of SE Asia. I would like to buy some USD cash here in OZ and if I remember rightly that some exchange booths in Thailand would not change some of the US denomination notes.

What denomination notes USD won't they change and what years would that apply for? I do remember some years back in Phuket some 50's and 100's were not accepted, this may have changed now. I just don't want to buy the wrong notes in OZ.

Secondly, you guys are great here with your wealth of knowledge, could someone tell me of a forex trader that I could use to buy and sell currency online? I looked at forex.com but they say a minimum trade is $10,000; I am not ready for that yet. Is there anyone I can use from Australia that will accept lower trades, say of $1,000 to $5,000 USD?

Thanks guys.

Generally the banks will not take any USD that is more than three or four years old because they claim their Thai customers will not accept the notes when they change from Baht. I think the real reason is that many older series were heavily copied although this seems to have been less of an issue during that time frame.

It is the US$100 notes they do not like. This is common especially in Oz, there are some years that are known for forgeries, but they make it simpler by not accepting any of that denimination.

Funny thing is, I found it easier to exchange them in LOS thanOz. Just go to the exchange booths rather than the banks.

I used to buy notes from US sailor because the banks would not change them and keep them as holiday money. :o The poor sailors used the ATM on the ship, then came on shore. The smarter ones used the ATMs onshore and got a better exchange rate.

The reason why I want to do it in Oz is because our rate against the baht is not so hot. So changing from AUD to THB then to USD will cost me more in the long run. I can also buy USD from private money changers that do not charge commissions and they give you a good rate. I require USD because I might be going to Myanmar, Cambodia and the Philippines and in those cases the USD is the preferred currency.

Anyhow so I should not by $100's and they should be not more than 3 years old, thanks. Anymore tips?

Do not present TORN or notes with any writing or even a chop on them. They may or may not be accepted.

In Indonesia they accept these ......at a big discount on the rate or not at all !

A few years back I had the misfortune of getting a twenty dollar bill in my change which I did not examine .

It was one of several million which had written on the back in felt pen

F*** RODNEY KING.

It was impossible to change anywhere outside the USA !!

ps Remember who Mr King was ?

inspite of Alzheimer's creeping into my brain i remember very well that Mr. Rodney King was the russian ambassador to Kasakhstan who got beaten up by local members of al-Qaida which caused an uprising of the population of Papua New Guinea. a lot of shops were looted and homes were burnt down in the capital Port Moresby. the riots were stopped by israeli Mossad agents who camouflaged as headhunters.

am i right Topfield? :o

inspite of Alzheimer's creeping into my brain i remember very well that Mr. Rodney King was the russian ambassador to Kasakhstan who got beaten up by local members of al-Qaida which caused an uprising of the population of Papua New Guinea. a lot of shops were looted and homes were burnt down in the capital Port Moresby. the riots were stopped by israeli Mossad agents who camouflaged as headhunters.

am i right Topfield? :o

Unfortunately you are.... and the Conspiratorialist attack police force is on it's way to the gold windowed palace as you type.

Regards

:D

Rodney King was also the black guy in Los Angeles that took a beating from some police officers.

He was a crack head that ended up being a celebrity for a while, so don't think crack head as he was

when arrested will always be poor.

1993 was the U.S. $100 that was mostly uncashable outside the U.S.

Anything with a water mark which I believe started around 2000 should be ok. There should be no more U.S. currency in circulation without water mark now days.

Really not worth a few dollars saved to carry cash. Your ATM card should work in all countries

and Baht will also work fine in Cambo and Burma.

Burma of course does not have ATM's that I have heard of.

Edited by Khun ?

:o

Thanks guys.

:D I have been told by Bangkok Bank the following:

1. Any $100 bills of the old series are not accepted. (The U.S. changed the design of 100 dollar bills about 10(?) years ago.)

2. The same for $50 dollar bills (changed 5 years or so back)

The reason for both of these is that the old design has been so heavily counterfitted that the banks feel they may end up taking a counterfit note. Iran was heavily printing counterfit old style $100 bills. North Korea actually has a printing plant run by their government that counterfits U.S. money.

So use the new series of these bills only.

:D