windows xp upgrade to whats best?

bert bloggs

1 hour ago, khunken said:

I have a similar 10-year old PC running Win XP & Win 7 in dual operating system mode. The simplest thing for the Op to do is to buy a copy of Win 7 and instal it along side Win XP. Yes, it may be a short-term solution but it will give the Op time to decide what to replace the old PC with.

Just to add I also have a notebook running Win 10 but IMO Win XP (with free firewall, anti-virus & malware protection) is superior to both 7 & 10.

In what respect are the old OSs superior please?

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

In what respect are the old OSs superior please?

Win XP runs on less memory & storage & is quicker to load provided you limit your startup software. It is far easier to find files and the start menu is much easier to navigate than Win 10.

The control panel was so easy to find directly whatever activity you wanted, rather than having to navigate vaguely named bundles of what MS felt went together. It had Outlook Express, a superior email manager to Outlook, which was discontinued in Win 7. I use it extensively.

It is so stable that no updates are needed - the last months of MS updates were virtually all about ATMs & POS software, irrelevant to a personal PC user.

• Haha 1

Got a brand new laptop with the latest win 10 install. Put an sd card in and it can't even read the jpegs, have to put it in another one with linux mint on, no problem. Unless you really need a few certain programs win 10 is a pain, now you cannot delete a lot of rubbish or stop it endlessly updating.

35 minutes ago, khunken said:

Win XP runs on less memory & storage & is quicker to load provided you limit your startup software. It is far easier to find files and the start menu is much easier to navigate than Win 10.

The control panel was so easy to find directly whatever activity you wanted, rather than having to navigate vaguely named bundles of what MS felt went together. It had Outlook Express, a superior email manager to Outlook, which was discontinued in Win 7. I use it extensively.

It is so stable that no updates are needed - the last months of MS updates were virtually all about ATMs & POS software, irrelevant to a personal PC user.

Memory and storage have fallen in price so much in the last decade that really it is irrelevant.

You can limit your start-up programs easily in W10. If you keep your files in a logical system, then you should be able to find anything. And if not, type it in search box.

Get Classic Shell and W10 looks just like the old OS, but works like the new.

Outlook Express superiour to Outlook...I think not. And Mail works fine. Defender is one of the best Anti-virus programs and comes included in W10.

I let W10 update itself every time and have had no problems whatsoever.

I use my PC for professional music production. You just have to spend a little time to learn the new system, same as you need to get used to a new car, TV or microwave.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Got a brand new laptop with the latest win 10 install. Put an sd card in and it can't even read the jpegs, have to put it in another one with linux mint on, no problem. Unless you really need a few certain programs win 10 is a pain, now you cannot delete a lot of rubbish or stop it endlessly updating.

You can stop W10 from updating in Settinggs. But WHY?

12 hours ago, Ian47 said:

You will have a steep learning curve if you remain with Windows anyway.

From XP to Windows 7 will be hard enough & Windows 7 is end of life itself next January.

Windows 10 will require better hardware than you have & will be a very steep learning curve indeed.

Undoubtedly Linux is the way to go & now is the ideal time for you to switch away from Windows.

You will find an up to date & secure Linux Distribution that will run on your XP box.

https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

Some of them might be a bit of a steep learning curve too, but there are Linux Distributions that actually deliberately mimic XP - for those that don't want to learn how to use their machine again..

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/top-alternative-linux-distributions-to-windows-xp

You statement is wholly untrue and only designed to push the OP towards your suggestion of utilising Linux.

A shame that you feel the need to deliberately mislead in order to do so.

Edited by JamJar
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Memory and storage have fallen in price so much in the last decade that really it is irrelevant.

You can limit your start-up programs easily in W10. If you keep your files in a logical system, then you should be able to find anything. And if not, type it in search box.

Get Classic Shell and W10 looks just like the old OS, but works like the new.

Outlook Express superiour to Outlook...I think not. And Mail works fine. Defender is one of the best Anti-virus programs and comes included in W10.

I let W10 update itself every time and have had no problems whatsoever.

I use my PC for professional music production. You just have to spend a little time to learn the new system, same as you need to get used to a new car, TV or microwave.

I see - you asked for my reasons for preferring Win XP so you can tear them apart. Well it won't work.

Reduced cost is irrelevant to anyone still using a 10-year-old PC. Memory & storage costs have come down, but (a) the average mid-range PC cost hasn't & (b) SSD is more expensive than HD.

Yes, I can use the search box in W10 but why should I have to as I don't in Win XP? Think whatever you like, OE is superior to Outlook. So superior that there are downloads available from enterprising and kindly individuals for running an identical version of OE on Win7 (I have one) and even on Win10.

I don't let any MS software automatically update as MS sometimes screws up and even had to back out one Win10 update. I let MS advise me of an update and, based on web reviews, instal them or not.

Your last sentence implies that I haven't learned enough about Win10. Total <deleted>. I've been using it for about 2 years but I still don't like it & will use Win Xp as my first choice & only one of the others on sites that don't work with XP. By far, the 2 activities that I use my PC/Notebook online for are trading and sport streaming. I can choose any of all 3 OSs for both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, shady86 said:

Nope it doesn't, try checking your task manager if you have a fresh install of win 10 on a system with 4gb of ram, Windows and its background tasks already takes 3gb and cpu load at near 100% if you have 2 threads and below. Even a Skylake pentium G4400 with 2 cores struggles with win 10. No point putting ssd when everything else slows you down, especially when win update is running on the background.

Not to forget, a pc running win XP most probably only comes with sata 1, with 1.5Gbps limit so no point putting a ssd, peak throughput is limited at 150MB/s.

You don't appear to have a clue of what you are writing.

Going backwards through what you have written;

bert bloggs has already taken the trouble to state what device he owns. But I am haven't confirmed the device with him. Either way he has, at a minimum, SATA II connectors. So error number one on your part.

If the model number he gave is correct, he has SATA III; https://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/product_detail/13406/HP-Pavilion-P6578ES-Desktop-Core-I3-3-0Ghz-6Gb-Ram-1TB-HDD-Win-7-pro/

I'll need to confirm.

Even if he had SATA I, an SSD would still be a lot better.  You are making the rookie mistake of imagining that because a SATA I port is limited to 150 MB/s, that there is little difference therefore between utilising an SSD and an HDD. But that assumption is quite wrong.

First of all, even if you look at only sequential reading/writing speeds, the SSD will still outperform the HDD.

But then you have real world conditions; Many smaller and quicker operations occurring much more quickly than they would with an HDD. The SSD will win under every scenario.

But in fact, he has a minimum of SATA 2, even better for bert bloggs..

Next, your absolutely crazy assertion that even a Pentium G4400 from 2015 would struggle with Windows 10;

This is a benchmark of the CPU of the laptop, from 2009,4.png.29aa65707da3ea0890703a130dbe2505.png that I am using currently;

This a Pentium G4400 from 2015;

3.png.cac9628177a0684a2cd8dd0faca135d2.png

This from my Task Manager just now;

2.jpg.35572e951030de51bc511ce34d0821e9.jpg

This with 4 GB of RAM and an SSD.

I think you need to review your knowledge.

10 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Probably has something to do with security of which XP has nearly none. Not blaming the OS, but there were relatively few attacks on the computers as there wasn't much to gain from them back in the day. Today with all the online banking, getting someone's username and password and emptying bank accounts, or impersonating that person to squeeze money out of others, encrypting data and demanding ransoms, etc. are everywhere. A couple of years back they were showing (admittedly without antivirus stock Windows XP without service packs) connecting to internet with Internet Explorer and getting compromised within minutes. It was one of the antivirus companies doing the demo why you should really move off XP.

You would do yourself a favour to get an all-in-one screen with preinstalled Windows 10, which depending on screen size and specifications could be yours for only a little over 10,000 baht. Models with SSD which are (compared to yours) lightning fast are only slightly over 20,000 baht. It'll save desk real-estate, power and with a decent antivirus protect you from most of attacks.

If you're not willing to invest in new hardware, I would agree with getting a Windows XP lookalike Linux distribution. Many have user interface that copies Windows for easy transition.

No no no no no no no no on no no no.......Why would you suggest someone get an AIO? A terrible idea.

With a Tower PC, you can easily access and change components throughout the years and you can even upgrade your monitor as an when.

With an AIO, if something goes wrong, the whole thing goes into the bin. Forget about a novice trying to service it. So off to the repairers for a haircut. Just....no.

• Like 1

You don't appear to have a clue of what you are writing.

Going backwards through what you have written;

bert bloggs has already taken the trouble to state what device he owns. But I am haven't confirmed the device with him. Either way he has, at a minimum, SATA II connectors. So error number one on your part.

If the model number he gave is correct, he has SATA III; https://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/product_detail/13406/HP-Pavilion-P6578ES-Desktop-Core-I3-3-0Ghz-6Gb-Ram-1TB-HDD-Win-7-pro/

I'll need to confirm.

Even if he had SATA I, an SSD would still be a lot better.  You are making the rookie mistake of imagining that because a SATA I port is limited to 150 MB/s, that there is little difference therefore between utilising an SSD and an HDD. But that assumption is quite wrong.

First of all, even if you look at only sequential reading/writing speeds, the SSD will still outperform the HDD.

But then you have real world conditions; Many smaller and quicker operations occurring much more quickly than they would with an HDD. The SSD will win under every scenario.

But in fact, he has a minimum of SATA 2, even better for bert bloggs..

Next, your absolutely crazy assertion that even a Pentium G4400 from 2015 would struggle with Windows 10;

This is a benchmark of the CPU of the laptop, from 2009,4.png.29aa65707da3ea0890703a130dbe2505.png&key=b95928d9d4555ad6fbccf397d7439c7aac95b3d49fe677e986b755b043ab78c0 that I am using currently;

This a Pentium G4400 from 2015;

3.png.cac9628177a0684a2cd8dd0faca135d2.png&key=3118e0cb910c848ebbdcd7394fcb63a1c9f04d1242a4c47fee328b5553db9971

This from my Task Manager just now;

2.jpg.35572e951030de51bc511ce34d0821e9.jpg&key=cc882c538a608581a894669708ab6c4352c36c58e67c613e90030f41dec4f728

This with 4 GB of RAM and an SSD.

I think you need to review your knowledge.

First gen i3 was released back in 2010, right after win 7 was released, no way OP oem hp pc would be running win XP. Try learn more on hardware releases and study ssd requirements before proposing something. An OEM pc running win XP must be released before win 7. Try leaning more about hardware and os release dates before commenting. Lol.

I have a Celeron j3455 quad, 4gb ram and 120gb ssd mini pc but it's not as good as my main pc ryzen 2700 with 16gb ram, maybe I'm a heavy multitasker.

10 hours ago, dotpoom said:

For those of us less knowledgeable than yourself...it would have been helpful to explain "Why"?

Stories of paying 400 baht to install Windows 10 and them not even bothering to use a genuine product key. Otherwise possibly charging you 4000 baht for a genuine key.

Charges for the fitting of the SSD.  Possible lack of choice of SSD. Giving them access to your private data. No control over the setting up of the OS. No control over their quality control.

This kind of thing should always be done by the user, in order to keep control of your data and the provenance of the installation media to installed to your device.

In bert's case, his device is user friendly. So the job is not at all difficult.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Probably has something to do with security of which XP has nearly none. Not blaming the OS, but there were relatively few attacks on the computers as there wasn't much to gain from them back in the day. Today with all the online banking, getting someone's username and password and emptying bank accounts, or impersonating that person to squeeze money out of others, encrypting data and demanding ransoms, etc. are everywhere. A couple of years back they were showing (admittedly without antivirus stock Windows XP without service packs) connecting to internet with Internet Explorer and getting compromised within minutes. It was one of the antivirus companies doing the demo why you should really move off XP.

You would do yourself a favour to get an all-in-one screen with preinstalled Windows 10, which depending on screen size and specifications could be yours for only a little over 10,000 baht. Models with SSD which are (compared to yours) lightning fast are only slightly over 20,000 baht. It'll save desk real-estate, power and with a decent antivirus protect you from most of attacks.

If you're not willing to invest in new hardware, I would agree with getting a Windows XP lookalike Linux distribution. Many have user interface that copies Windows for easy transition.

Nope. No Linux. It pays to listen to the OP and then understand the circumstances.

5.png.f98e28effbe0bb129a8a1bb032f22f69.png

7 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Why?

It's 2019, Linux is easy now.

So far everybody I recommended to upgrade to Linux, be it Ubuntu, Mint, Arch or OpenSUSE, was happy and kept it.

Especially as "users without experience" they enjoy to be safe from all these ransomware etc plaguing them on windows.

Or, if you can, get a Mac. Seriously.

Sorry, but no.

If everything works, that it can be fine. But as soon as there is a problem a novice can get stuck.

Apart from the Linux cannot be used by bert, as his bank does not allow it.

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You're correct. The combination of a dual core cpu with 4GB slow ram and a slow HDD wont work the way you want a computer to work. And never believe for example Microsofts minimum requirements for a modern OS. You can buy really good second hand computers in Thailand,both online (if you know where and what to look for) and in stores. The OP should transfer the stuff he wants to keep to an external drive and toss the computer in the river. 

It's such a shame that the OP is receiving such shoddy 'advice', from so many.

2 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Sorry, but no.

If everything works, that it can be fine. But as soon as there is a problem a novice can get stuck.

Apart from the Linux cannot be used by bert, as his bank does not allow it.

I would spoof my user agent or run wincrap in a vm... But I don't expect op to do this. I'm pretty sure the bank don't allow it not because it is insecure but probably more fraud has been done from a Linux system.

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Acyually my wife has a pc which runs win 7 ,i just put all my banking on there ,think i will use that until as you say ,decide what to upgrade to ,at least it gives me 6 months

It's sad that you have to wade through this noise to get to the information that you need.

You need to spend 1000 to 1500 baht on your PC to bring it up to speed.

120 GB Solid State Drive costs from 600 baht.

RAM, perhaps 500 baht.

Windows 10 Pro product key 100 to 150 baht.

Fitting is easily done yourself. I can talk you through it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

I'd also suggest installing Linux Mint if that's all you need it for. Just download the iso file burn a DVD boot to the DVD and install. It'll do all you need and will be more intuitive to an XP user than moving to Win10. Plus it's free.

Cannot use Linux with his bank....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, shady86 said:

First gen i3 was released back in 2010, right after win 7 was released, no way OP oem hp pc would be running win XP. Try learn more on hardware releases and study ssd requirements before proposing something. An OEM pc running win XP must be released before win 7. Try leaning more about hardware and os release dates before commenting. Lol.

I have a Celeron j3455 quad, 4gb ram and 120gb ssd mini pc but it's not as good as my main pc ryzen 2700 with 16gb ram, maybe I'm a heavy multitasker.

You are just arguing stupidly, because you are making stupid assumptions.

First of all, remember that the OP has already told us what he is running.

So worst case scenario, is a device from 2009, just before the general release of Windows 7.

So an educated guess would be that bert bloggs chose to have XP installed, as opposed to Vista or Windows 7 and is only moving from XP, because he is being forced to do so.

His hardware, from 2009 forwards, is more than adequate for Windows 10. But in order to get the best out out his current hardware, he should fit a solid state drive and ensure that he has a least 4 GB of RAM.

Then he will be very happy with his upgraded device.

No need to spend more.  He will not have any more compatibility issues until the machine conks out.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shady86 said:

6.png.c524915124f5fe742f6e4dd26531a8fb.png

That is certainly a climb-down from the Pentium G4400 that you claimed was inadequate for Windows 10.

I often think people join these threads to argue, rather than focussing on what is best for the OP.

It's sad that I need to spend so much time having to counter the very poorly thought out advice given by so many. 

12 minutes ago, JamJar said:

6.png.c524915124f5fe742f6e4dd26531a8fb.png

That is certainly a climb-down from the Pentium G4400 that you claimed was inadequate for Windows 10.

I often think people join these threads to argue, rather than focussing on what is best for the OP.

It's sad that I need to spend so much time having to counter the very poorly thought out advice given by so many. 

images (1).png

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

No no no no no no no no on no no no.......Why would you suggest someone get an AIO? A terrible idea.

With a Tower PC, you can easily access and change components throughout the years and you can even upgrade your monitor as an when.

With an AIO, if something goes wrong, the whole thing goes into the bin. Forget about a novice trying to service it. So off to the repairers for a haircut. Just....no.

Each to their own. I quite enjoy the iMacs and Windows AIOs with upgraded RAM and SSDs. Don't really have a need to upgrade 27" screens, but do like the part that they burn 1/3 or less of the power of decent tower and take no more space than just a monitor.

I guess I could spend another few million baht for a larger condo to have space for full blown PCs.

But I understand where you're coming from. A separate tower is much easier to upgrade. You can change power supply, CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, DVD drive if anyone is still using those dinosaurs, graphic card, sound card,... But every couple of years sockets change, so for new CPU you need new mainboard, which needs different RAM... And from OP's usage I'd say he wouldn't be using GeForce RTX 2080Ti, but most likely one built into mainboard or into CPU.

But in the end of the day - what we agree on is that he should go with Windows 10. And that performance of his current box might be OK or not OK for it. If not, that he should get a new PC, either with Windows 10 preinstalled or get OS separately. Whether he gets bits and pieces and reuses the current case, or gets a whole new case, or gets an AIO or a laptop - that's his own decision but would not have any impact on him being able to use banking and connect to the internet.

Can we leave it at this?

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I got mine in Tukcom in 2011 for Bht 4500. Was I ripped off?

No, that's normal price. But you can buy unused (maybe OEM, maybe returned) serial numbers from eBay and Lazada for a fraction of the price. Some are real and some are just fakes that work for a while and then stop (usually after a year).

So if you buy from Microsoft or reseller, like Banana or InvadeIT or JIB, they would be selling a box from Microsoft with USB stick. If you buy from eBay you'll receive and email, reading something like:

Thank you from buying Windows 10 from xyz. Here is your serial number. Download Windows from here and follow these instructions to install (another link).

As it activates without issues, most people believe it's 100% OK key. And it well might be. Or it might not be. It's hard to know which seller is genuine and which isn't.

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Acyually my wife has a pc which runs win 7 ,i just put all my banking on there ,think i will use that until as you say ,decide what to upgrade to ,at least it gives me 6 months

Windows 7 won't stop working in 6 months. Just won't get updates anymore. Risky but by no means meaning you have to throw wife's PC away after 6 months either.

As for Windows 7 machine, it should be able to get upgraded to Windows 10 directly. If you roll back the date by 3 years, or if you enable accessibility features in Windows 7 before upgrading, you'll even be able to get license for free. Once activated, you can reinstall and license will be kept. Windows 7 Home/Home Premium -> Windows 10; Windows 7 Professional -> Windows 10 Pro. Else as others pointed out, you could get a key off eBay or Lazada, or at full price from Microsoft reseller.

With what I've now read from other posters, your PC could be installed with Windows 10 as well, just possibly a little slower with current configuration. More memory and SSD drive would significantly speed it up. There is no upgrade path from XP to 10, so you'd need to get a license key for it but on the plus side - Windows 10 includes drivers for most common hardware, and even has a tool which allows you to check if your computer is compatible. If it is, it means it installs like a Mac. Asks which drive you want to install it on, and goes to the end, without asking for a single driver.

Some said Windows 10 is difficult and much different from XP or 7. That's not really the case. Windows 8/8.1 were, but 10 has put much of XP/7 feel back and unless you're digging around settings, which have been simplified from previous Windows, it's actually quite easy to get used to. It's also significantly faster than Vista/8/8.1 and usually around the same as Windows 7, although it does benefit from modern multi-core processors.

Regardless what you do is your choice. But using wife's PC for a while is a 0$ solution.

18 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Each to their own. I quite enjoy the iMacs and Windows AIOs with upgraded RAM and SSDs. Don't really have a need to upgrade 27" screens, but do like the part that they burn 1/3 or less of the power of decent tower and take no more space than just a monitor.

I guess I could spend another few million baht for a larger condo to have space for full blown PCs.

But I understand where you're coming from. A separate tower is much easier to upgrade. You can change power supply, CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, DVD drive if anyone is still using those dinosaurs, graphic card, sound card,... But every couple of years sockets change, so for new CPU you need new mainboard, which needs different RAM... And from OP's usage I'd say he wouldn't be using GeForce RTX 2080Ti, but most likely one built into mainboard or into CPU.

But in the end of the day - what we agree on is that he should go with Windows 10. And that performance of his current box might be OK or not OK for it. If not, that he should get a new PC, either with Windows 10 preinstalled or get OS separately. Whether he gets bits and pieces and reuses the current case, or gets a whole new case, or gets an AIO or a laptop - that's his own decision but would not have any impact on him being able to use banking and connect to the internet.

Can we leave it at this?

Leave it at what?

Sorry, but that was just an interminable ramble that is more likely to confuse the OP than anything else.

Are you suggesting that he buys an AIO with a 27" screen?

It doesn't matter what you you buy for yourself. That has nothing to do with anything. 

You need to think about bert bloggs,  his current equipment and his level of capability.

Too many post of "install Linux", with out bothering to check if it is suitable for his usage.

Too many posts of Windows 10 is too much for the hardware, without even checking which hardware.

Too many posts of the PC is too old, without even knowing how old the PC.

Why on earth would he buy an new PC and then pay again to upgrade the RAM and HDD to SSD. It just adds to the general level of lunacy on this thread.

The OP simply wants to move his operating system to something more suitable for his banking. He can achieve this and more on a budget of less than 1500 baht, with his current equipment.