windows xp upgrade to whats best?

bert bloggs

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Windows 7 won't stop working in 6 months. Just won't get updates anymore. Risky but by no means meaning you have to throw wife's PC away after 6 months either.

As for Windows 7 machine, it should be able to get upgraded to Windows 10 directly. If you roll back the date by 3 years, or if you enable accessibility features in Windows 7 before upgrading, you'll even be able to get license for free. Once activated, you can reinstall and license will be kept. Windows 7 Home/Home Premium -> Windows 10; Windows 7 Professional -> Windows 10 Pro. Else as others pointed out, you could get a key off eBay or Lazada, or at full price from Microsoft reseller.

With what I've now read from other posters, your PC could be installed with Windows 10 as well, just possibly a little slower with current configuration. More memory and SSD drive would significantly speed it up. There is no upgrade path from XP to 10, so you'd need to get a license key for it but on the plus side - Windows 10 includes drivers for most common hardware, and even has a tool which allows you to check if your computer is compatible. If it is, it means it installs like a Mac. Asks which drive you want to install it on, and goes to the end, without asking for a single driver.

Some said Windows 10 is difficult and much different from XP or 7. That's not really the case. Windows 8/8.1 were, but 10 has put much of XP/7 feel back and unless you're digging around settings, which have been simplified from previous Windows, it's actually quite easy to get used to. It's also significantly faster than Vista/8/8.1 and usually around the same as Windows 7, although it does benefit from modern multi-core processors.

Regardless what you do is your choice. But using wife's PC for a while is a 0$ solution.

Only one correction. Windows 7 to 10 upgrades still works as normal. The dates were just set to encourage people to move over en masse.

So there is no need for any kind of tricky. All upgrade paths still work. 7 Professional and Ultimate move to 10 Pro

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

but do like the part that they burn 1/3 or less of the power of decent tower and take no more space than just a monitor.

My tower, with 2 x SSDs and 2 xHDDs, and 2 x Samsung 28@ monitirs takes 200 watts, It is on for 12 hours a day so uses 2.4 units of electricity @ Bht 4/ unit = Bht 10 per day. Do you really want an AIO to save Bht 7 per day. As for room area taken up, my tower's footprint is 40 x 22 cm = 0.88 sq mtr. No need for a new condo. 

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

No, that's normal price. But you can buy unused (maybe OEM, maybe returned) serial numbers from eBay and Lazada for a fraction of the price. Some are real and some are just fakes that work for a while and then stop (usually after a year).

So if you buy from Microsoft or reseller, like Banana or InvadeIT or JIB, they would be selling a box from Microsoft with USB stick. If you buy from eBay you'll receive and email, reading something like:

Thank you from buying Windows 10 from xyz. Here is your serial number. Download Windows from here and follow these instructions to install (another link).

As it activates without issues, most people believe it's 100% OK key. And it well might be. Or it might not be. It's hard to know which seller is genuine and which isn't.

Thanks for that. And yes, when I got W7 @ Bht 4500 I was a novice. Since then all 3 x PCs work perfectly on keys from ebay @ £3 each.

10 hours ago, JamJar said:

Apart from the Linux cannot be used by bert, as his bank does not allow it.

Once a computer is connected to a website via a browser, does it really matter what OS is being used? I can connect to my banks via Chrome, Brave or Firefox on my W10 PC, or via my Android phone, not using the app.

45 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Once a computer is connected to a website via a browser, does it really matter what OS is being used? I can connect to my banks via Chrome, Brave or Firefox on my W10 PC, or via my Android phone, not using the app.

The bank probably check the user agent of the browser. This is ridiculous if they really do this since it's very easy to spoof.

I had the same issue with some government website that only supported internet explorer. I spoofed the user agent and the site worked fine. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

Just now, Tayaout said:

The bank probably check the user agent of the browser. This is ridiculous if they really do this since it's very easy to spoof. 

Sorry, I do not understand. I go onto Chrome on my phone, put all my bank's security details in and I am connected. My comment was asking whether the OS used, be it xp, W7, 8 or 10 or Linux or Android, can prevent a user from connecting to say, his bank. I do not believe it can. But prove me wrong.

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry, I do not understand. I go onto Chrome on my phone, put all my bank's security details in and I am connected. My comment was asking whether the OS used, be it xp, W7, 8 or 10 or Linux or Android, can prevent a user from connecting to say, his bank. I do not believe it can. But prove me wrong.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent

The browser send its version and OS. Some website block or change content based on browser. In an earlier post it is specified the bank forbid or doesn't support using Linux. Obv it is flawed since its easy to change the user agent. 

Edited by Tayaout

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Thanks for that. And yes, when I got W7 @ Bht 4500 I was a novice. Since then all 3 x PCs work perfectly on keys from ebay @ £3 each.

As a little offshoot from your reference to the £3 ebay keys which i've seen and wondered about, would these keys work on a vista PC or is the system that much different?

10 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

As a little offshoot from your reference to the £3 ebay keys which i've seen and wondered about, would these keys work on a vista PC or is the system that much different?

You must buy a key for your specific OS. You can/should upgrade Vista to W10, free from M'soft, then get the key off ebay. It works, I have done it several times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Saying that, my UK bank (Halifax) used to work on any browser now it won't work on chrome or firefox when i sign in it goes so far then reverts back to sign in page, when i phoned the bank they just suggested use another browser no rhyme or reason given, works perfectly in opera or ie though, think it might be something to do with another EU directive about tightening up security for online banking and online sales, who knows!

1 minute ago, maxcorrigan said:

Saying that, my UK bank (Halifax) used to work on any browser now it won't work on chrome or firefox when i sign in it goes so far then reverts back to sign in page, when i phoned the bank they just suggested use another browser no rhyme or reason given, works perfectly in opera or ie though, think it might be something to do with another EU directive about tightening up security for online banking and online sales, who knows!

So after 31st October will you be able to conect?   LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JamJar said:

It really isn't.

Unfortunately your thread is suffering from those who have an agenda to push you towards a Linux OS and from those who really are misleading you because of their confused and erroneous ideas.

Unfortunately, as a novice, understandably you are confused as to who to believe.

Put it this way, which other person on this thread has even bothered to find out exactly which device you are running?

I can tell you, not a single one. 

Your current device will be more than adequate for Windows 10 with an SSD fitted. The weakest link of your PC is the old spinning disc storage, nothing else. But I would also recommend ensuring that you also have 4GB of RAM. That and the SSD will get you better performance than you ever did, even with Windows 10 installed.

The laptop I am posting from now is from 2009 and is running Windows 10 64 bit. Ready to use from pressing the power button, in thirty seconds.

Your not living in Pattaya by any chance are you ,you could pop around then????

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

glad your confident????

I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't think you could do it. Even better that you have your wife computer. So when you get started, you can keep in contact with any questions using your wife's PC.

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't think you could do it. Even better that you have your wife computer. So when you get started, you can keep in contact with any questions using your wife's PC.

When the time comes i will get on here again ,she doesnt use her computer all that often now mainly just for contracts and the like ,seems to do most on her smartphone so i dont get in her way,lol

she has a couple of Brit bank accounts as well ,but i have to check them for her ,she hasnt a clue .???? sometimes i wonder if she is really Thai

Edited by bert bloggs

On 9/2/2019 at 9:40 PM, JamJar said:

Sorry, but no.

If everything works, that it can be fine. But as soon as there is a problem a novice can get stuck.

Apart from the Linux cannot be used by bert, as his bank does not allow it.

That's not right, whilst Nationwide says Linux isn't supported, provided you spoof the user agent it works.

I can access my Nationwide account from my desktop running Linux Mint. All you need do is install the User Agent Switcher and Manager extension, that lets you switch the user agent to Firefox on Windows 10 and it works fine.

As for Linux being difficult, far from it, it installs and sets up easily I've not had issues outside of setting up printers which sometimes present problems but far less so these days. Certainly Linux Mint 19 installs and sets up everything the OP requires straight from the get go. The only trick is in installing the Firefox extension for switching agents, I'd also recommend access via a VPN to the UK as the Nationwide website runs very slowly if the connection is made from outside the UK.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stocky said:

That's not right, whilst Nationwide says Linux isn't supported, provided you spoof the user agent it works.

I can access my Nationwide account from my desktop running Linux Mint. All you need do is install the User Agent Switcher and Manager extension, that lets you switch the user agent to Firefox on Windows 10 and it works fine.

As for Linux being difficult, far from it, it installs and sets up easily I've not had issues outside of setting up printers which sometimes present problems but far less so these days. Certainly Linux Mint 19 installs and sets up everything the OP requires straight from the get go. The only trick is in installing the Firefox extension for switching agents, I'd also recommend access via a VPN to the UK as the Nationwide website runs very slowly if the connection is made from outside the UK.

That would be fine if Linux was the only choice. Then you would have to find a way to make things work. Otherwise it appears a considerable faff, compared to simply installing the latest Windows operating system.

Linux perhaps good on a spare machine.

16 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

99% of the time. I install Linux it takes 20min and I'm done. 

100% of the time when I install windows it takes hours then if the internet works I need to go to the manufacturer website and get the driver. If the internet doesn't work then I need to use my Linux laptop to put the driver on a USB key. Then I need to install a proper browser, security software, maybe office, etc. While. I install all the software I need to double check the install pop-up for trap. Then I need to clean all the junk that was installed anyway. Then I'm done until I get a call a couple months later because the pc has slowed down and I need to clean a bunch of stuff again. ????

This is really nonsense.

Windows 10 installation is much quicker than ever. Not even twenty minutes and you rarely need to look for Drivers.

You don't need to install any 'security software' and yes, you have a huge range of Browsers you can install.

Your ideas and experience appear totally outdated. I support people with their installs. The last person who tried some Linux installations on an old laptop, gave up after a few days and installed Windows 10 instead. Everything just worked from the outset. 

So obviously different for everyone.

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

This is really nonsense.

Windows 10 installation is much quicker than ever. Not even twenty minutes and you rarely need to look for Drivers.

You don't need to install any 'security software' and yes, you have a huge range of Browsers you can install.

Your ideas and experience appear totally outdated. I support people with their installs. The last person who tried some Linux installations on an old laptop, gave up after a few days and installed Windows 10 instead. Everything just worked from the outset. 

So obviously different for everyone.

We obviously have a complete different experiences. Interesting. I install Linux regularly. Windows 10 about 6 months ago. Sure win10 install quickly but I won't hand it back until it has finished updating and rebooting 3 times. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

We obviously have a complete different experiences. Interesting. I install Linux regularly. Windows 10 about 6 months ago. 

Yes, we do. 

https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=36

The Installation-Time for Windows-10 on Notebooks and Desktop PCs  

So, in my test system INTEL Celeron G1610 (2.6 GHz) with 320 GB SATA hard drive:
17 minutes for x32/x86 32-Bit and 22 minutes for x64 64-Bit. 

On a SSD same computer 14 minutes for x32 and 16 for Windows-10 x64 installation.    

In Virtual-box: on the same computer 25 minutes for x32/x86 32-Bit installation. 

On very old (2005) Asus Notebook: AMD Turion X2 ( 2 x 1,66 GHz) with 120 GB IDE 24 minutes for x64 64-Bit installation
on the same computer from USB 19 minutes for x32 32-Bit installation! 

Upgrade time from Windows 8.1 to 10 20-40 Min! Depending on installed programs , it can take a few hours.  

Of course, the hard disk speed is the decisive factor. Installation takes less time on the faster computer and the faster transmission rate of the hard drive and the DVD-Rom

Always sad when people exaggerate to make their arguments look better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Always sad when people exaggerate to make their arguments look better.

I see you are often sad. I don't exaggerate at all. Once you spent 14 min installing win10 you still have a lot of work to do to make the OS updated, safe and usable. Depending on internet speed it's more like 2-3h. 

Edited by Tayaout

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

Otherwise it appears a considerable faff, compared to simply installing the latest Windows operating system.

"simply installing the latest Windows operating system"

I'm happy to associate the word simply with a Linux installation, my experience with Windows is always more a nail-biting one. Those long waits with it stuck at 45% and you're thinking is there a problem or is it just super slow. I consider Windows a 'faff' one I put up with because I have work software that isn't supported on Linux.

Edited by Stocky