Meeting with Immigration a missed opportunity

Bangkok Barry

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How does that relate to the meeting with expats in Bangkok?

Because most meetings are a total waste of time and unless instigated by the Powers That Be (especially in LOS) nothing will happen no matter what questions were asked.

Since you are so wound up about it why did you not attend?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As someone pointed out your questions are complete rubbish and have no relevance to the topic which was discussed. They would of simply ignored your questions or just said it was not their responsibility or they were carrying out instructions.

When you have a meeting with authority there is no point going in all guns blazing as they will just blank you or simply not even bother answering and its not going to help the situation.

You need to handle these guys with care, dont put them on the spot and wrangle around the issue to try and get some meaningful substance.

Their answers would probably go like:

1 - This is about Thailand not other countries. They follow the laws, not write them.

2 - Big picture question with lots of unsubstantiated conjecture. Question probably cut off half way through.

3 - You really think this is a proper question to ask at this type of event? Its police job to police local Thailand, immigration have nothing to do with this? What do you want them to say?

4 - I agree with you, but they would just revert to the long standing law.

5 - No idea, i did not think people still had to leave the country, i thought that was for tourists. Pass.

6 - Nothing to do with TM30 which was what the event was about.

7 - Nothing to do with TM30.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In that case, what was the point of the meeting, with people who have nothing to say except it's the law? A waste of their time and that of everyone who attended. It could, and did, apparently achieve nothing at all.

Which is why I decided not to attend, although I initially registered myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Does your country treat their guests like criminals, by the way? Making them report their whereabouts when they go home, report as if on probation every three months? Hmm?

Why do some people persist in demanding that Thailand be exactly like their home country?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What demands?

Your demands, OP. I quoted your original post where you said, 'why didn't anyone ask these questions and "demand" answers.' Who are you, or anyone else, to "demand" that a foreign government answer your questions simply because you are upset about something?

Edited by ColeBOzbourne
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

They were not talking to a foreign government but the Police, I'd like to know why they ignored the law for almost 40 years., if that is not too 'demanding'

Good point. Perhaps they enforced the law for the first year, but once the Cambodians and Vietnamese left the refugee camps it was back to business as usual. No reason to enforce this now, except (maybe?) for migrant workers from these three countries but it shouldn't be imposed on the rest of us. We bring in the big bucks with our spending habits and our investments in this country (by we I'm talking about expats ranging from Chinese and Japanese to westerners).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

They were not talking to a foreign government but the Police, I'd like to know why they ignored the law for almost 40 years., if that is not too 'demanding'

No, that is not too 'demanding' at all. You said you would 'like' to know, rather than my issue with the OP who said he would 'demand' to know. There is a big difference.

By the way, the police are a body of officers representing the civil authority of the government. I simply do not believe guests in a foreign country have the right to make demands. Asking is fine. Demanding is not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

Are you sure they read TV? If so they should be aware of how many expats/tourists/foreigners no longer love Thailand and want to leave. This should give them impetus enough to make changes so as to make Thailand more competitive compared to it's neighbors. Of course if Thailand prefers that Laos and Cambodia overtake the country, then so be it.

Given the terrible English of the Thai panelists, i doubt they would understand half of what's written here.

have to disagree with their English proficiency, some are really and really very good they just are not on thee front lines but working on the back ground (trust me, (unfortunately) I know for the fact). I do think as it was brought up in previous conversations they do infiltrators here at TV, same as do the Chinese. In regards to them knowing or caring about our lost love of Thailand, they couldn't care less like they can't care less the baht is very strong they couldn't care less their exports are falling behind when comparing to their neighbors, we better come to terms with it (unfortunately) as our voices will not be heard nor our concerns will make them change..... plenty of money in reserve, "pretended" democratic elections, they guy didn't swear in as supposed to and the list keeps growing, question,... did the Thais care? NO the only ones complaining and placing their "uncalled" for opinions were us the foreigners, we are tourists , long term tourists but still tourists and for ALL of them (Thais, police and IMO included), tourists are walking ATM's some loud noisy / speaking walking ATM's