Pattaya: Farang slammed for keeping "dangerous" leopard as a pet

webfact

Pattaya: Farang slammed for keeping "dangerous" leopard as a pet

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A foreigner has been condemned for keeping a leopard as a pet at a rented house near Pattaya. 

A leading animal activist living in Thailand said he is shocked and baffled that the Thai authorities have allowed the man and his Thai wife to keep the leopard at their house in Na Jomtien, Sattahip. 

Sanook reported that "Wild Hawk" special forces went to a two story house in Soi Na Jomtien on Monday afternoon following complaints. 

They found a four year old fully grown leopard. The house has a cement fence surrounding the property and is topped with a net to the height of 3 meters, said Sanook.

Nitaya said she and her foreign husband had raised "Typhoon" since he was a cub. 

She showed documentation to show that the couple had legally bought 3 leopards who had all died. They had two offspring, Thaiphoon and a female called Fah Sai who was sick and in Chiang Mai. 

They moved from Chiang Mai to the rented house in Sattahip four or five days ago.

A case brought in November of last year decided that they could keep the pets. But Nitaya and her husband have yet to register the animals with an office in Sri Racha. 

They have been ordered to make improvements to the house so that the leopard can't get out and attack neighbors. 

Founder of Wildlife Friends foundation Thailand Edwin Wiek from the Netherlands who runs a sanctuary in Petchaburi province slammed the couple saying he was shocked. 

He told Thaivisa: "I am baffled that they are allowed to keep these two leopards given the fact that they did not register the last 2 properly in Chonburi, moved one from Chiang Mai without any permission and that they keep this one in an insecure environment".

He described the garden as insecure with a thin fishing net as a fence.

He continued: "They are not allowed to move it and need to upgrade the quality of the enclosure.  The leopard can never be used for conservation or anything else given it has been with people for a long time, but it is still a potentially very dangerous species".

Sources: Sanook | Thaivisa

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-03

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raising wild cats at home is ridiculous and dangerous, for oneself and for others; their place is in nature, and a wild animal stays a wild animal, even if raised since being a cub 

what do they try to show ? raise a dog or a cat instead , they are so lovely !

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A leading animal activist living in Thailand said he is shocked and baffled that the Thai authorities have allowed the man and his Thai wife to keep the leopard at their house in Na Jomtien, Sattahip. 

At least the leopard is alive.

I wonder if that same activist is also shocked and baffled that a rich Thai leopard eater convicted by a Thai court beginning of the year is not serving his prison sentence but mingling with the highest government officials at one of his construction projects instead...

Probably not.

6 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

At least the leopard is alive.

I wonder if that same activist is also shocked and baffled that a rich Thai leopard eater convicted by a Thai court beginning of the year is not serving his prison sentence but mingling with the highest government officials at one of his construction projects instead...

Probably not.

Could that be because that case has not yet been finalised and is being appealed, perhaps?  

As far as I knew it's not illegal to have Leopards or Tigers as pets in Thailand as long as you look after them well and have decent fencing around your property.

I intended to get a Tiger as a pet when I go back but I wouldn't be living anywhere near Pataya as I don't like the place 

I'd rather live out in the Country and there are some nice properties out there where my Tiger would have heaps of space to roam around the secure property.

I think the animal activist wanted the Leopard to add to his collection Typhoon looks like a nice cat but I agree he needs more space than just a home near Pataya but as long as it was fenced properly like the authorities say they found a 10ft fence with wire above that's a pretty reasonable fence when the couple had only just moved there 5 days earlier I think the article has said.

As far as I'm concerned as long as the couple look after Typhoon well and secure and if they have to register him they should be allowed to keep him????????

What is it with these farang a$$holes (and any other person for that matter) makes them want to do something like this. No matter which way you cut it these are wild animals and should not be contained in a domesticated environment. Free the cat and cage the idiot!

On a similar note I can remember going to Sri Racha Tiger Zoo a few years back with some visitors. They wanted to watch the Tiger Show so I went with them. I walked out in tears ... yes grown men cry. Why oh why does anyone do things like this nowadays?

This planet is fast being destroyed by people who couldn't give a flying #@%$ about conservation, destroying animal habitats (fires in the Amazon, Palm Oil plantations, illegal timber harvesting, unsustainable logging, mining and human encroachment to name but a few causes).

In it for the cash ... pure greed. 

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

Raising wild cats at home is ridiculous and dangerous, for oneself and for others; their place is in nature, and a wild animal stays a wild animal, even if raised since being a cub 

Not necessarily. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvph04Sh9CFKAw-gA6y-brQ/videos

This Russian couple have raised a Puma since Birth, and it's more docile than their house Cat.  

Their time will come!!

He might think about packing his bag ready for IDC and she should be disappearing back to her village.

The animal is dangerous and I hope it

is found a good home in the sanctuary or somewhere it belongs.

A pair of morons who deserve everything they get.

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

RE - what do they try to show ? raise a dog or a cat instead , they are so lovely

* If the intention is to keep the Landlord at distance unable to collect the rent a growling leopard covering the entrance my be the thing ... ????

Archived