And now, for something completely different...........

14 hours ago, Beggar said:

"The superficial reason was that I rented from a Chinese guy who lives in China and has no Thai Work Permit." 

Is it like this that if you rent out your own condo that you need a work permit? Could be. 

That is certainly a new one as I know a few foreigners renting condo and they have no work permit; but they use an agent or their wife handle the visit and renting process to not be told they are working.  They told me better take no chance as the rules are not clear.

So the Chinese owner is also using an agent and not working.  Strange !

My conclusion is something I have often worried over. Once you use an agent you are going to be a repeat customer. The charge you paid was expensive at 28.000 baht, even including a multiple re-entry permit. 

Still, no need to leave 800,000 in a bank account I bet. 

• Like 2

Maybe I wrote in a confusing way........... I did not use an agent for the extension or in my many attempts at a  fix.  The original Retirement VIsa was via an agent and was not an issue.  Forgetting to renew the re-entry stamp was.   For the fix, I did finally use an agent as no other alternative was available given the nature of my lease and from what I was told and observed, the agent business is alive and well.

Huh?? You rendered your retirement extension void by leaving / returning without a valid re-entry permit - that’s the way it is.

All you needed to do is start the process of a new extension based on retirement by turning your 30 day entry stamp into a non immigrant stamp at the local immigration office by starting the application for the retirement extension all over again.

And what has you renting from a Chinese guy and the TM30 got to do with you loosing your retirement extension? If the owner lives in China the agent who rents the condo to you has to file the TM30 for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

My conclusion is something I have often worried over. Once you use an agent you are going to be a repeat customer. The charge you paid was expensive at 28.000 baht, even including a multiple re-entry permit. 

Still, no need to leave 800,000 in a bank account I bet. 

That's what I've always wondered about, having to show the 800k was still in your bank account even when it clearly was not. THAT kind of stuff is obviously very illegal and I'd hate to be the first one when immigration decided to make examples of cheating farangs!

Is there such a thing as a retirement visa? I thought the only way to stay for retirement was to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, show that you have 400,000 or 800,000 baht in the bank or a 65,000 baht monthly income and that's all there is to it?

4 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Is there such a thing as a retirement visa? I thought the only way to stay for retirement was to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, show that you have 400,000 or 800,000 baht in the bank or a 65,000 baht monthly income and that's all there is to it?

If you apply at a consulate or Embassy in Australia, yes there is, they refer to O-A and O-X as retirement Visas. 

What you describe is an Extension of Permit to Stay, based on retirement, which is obtained within Thailand at immigration offices. 

• Like 1

I went to Penang many years ago for a 3 day holiday ..forgot about getting a re-entry permit. This was pointed out to me at the airport by airline staff. They told me I would lose my Ext. of stay if I go ahead...but could re-apply for it when I returned.  Which is what I did..No big deal, had the money already in the bank.

I have heard some whoppers in my time but an extension was refused because the Chinese landlord didnt have a work permit, has to win some sort of award.

Even if it was a requirement how in hell would immigration know if someone that doesnt even live in Thailand has a WP. How would they even know the landlords nationality. There is no requirement to even show a lease document to get an extension (other than maybe to get a TM30)

The sad thing is some new members may take this rubbish on board as being true.

The whole thread should be deleted before people believe the OP ridiculous account of why his extension was refused.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have heard some whoppers in my time but an extension was refused because the Chinese landlord didnt have a work permit, has to win some sort of award.

And you will hear some more.... Thailand is the right place for that, they will tell you anything to the level of insulting your intelligence. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

what does this mean?

it means last-last year he had an extension with multiple entry permit.

but last year when he go the new extension, he forgot that last-last year's

entry permit expired.

he allegedly had an extension but NO entry permit.

left the country and returned, without a re-entry permit.

came back in on tourist visa (waiver?).

instead of immigration explaining that the extension had expired and he needed to start over, they asked for useless apartment owners work permit.

16 hours ago, Beggar said:

I have been living here more than 20 years and never needed an agent. The immigration here in Pattaya was always very helpful. I think it is not the end of the world to stay legal and do the retirement extension again. I have to renew it every year... 

Sometimes mistakes happen. A friend of mine was returning from Australia to Thailand a few months ago and Australian Customs seized his passport saying it had been tampered with (the page with personal details had been laminated many years ago, but he had not been stopped before in his many travels).

He had to get a new passport and returned to Thailand on a visa exempt which, of course, cancelled his current retirement multi-entry 12 month extension. He has tried in Australia to transfer the extension to the new passport, but the embassy would not do it because customs hadn't returned the old passport.

Needless to say he has to start the whole retirement extension process again. So far, the custom seizure has cost him about $5,000 Australian (100,000 Baht) in airfares, hotels, incidental costs etc.

I'm just saying that mistakes and oversights can happen even with a 20 year record of no problems. I, for one, am grateful to the OP for sharing the story so I can learn from his experiences.

If it had happened to me, I must admit I probably would have tried slipping the IO 3 thousand baht to see if that made a difference.

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

it means last-last year he had an extension with multiple entry permit.

but last year when he go the new extension, he forgot that last-last year's

entry permit expired.

he allegedly had an extension but NO entry permit.

left the country and returned, without a re-entry permit.

came back in on tourist visa (waiver?).

instead of immigration explaining that the extension had expired and he needed to start over, they asked for useless apartment owners work permit.

I really doubt immigration did ask for the landlords work permit, thats the OP making up rubbish.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I really doubt immigration did ask for the landlords work permit, thats the OP making up rubbish.

I have a friend who was asked for a work permit while applying for a retirement extension! This was by an immigration official.

The reason, address was listed as a house owned in a company name, of which the person was the director... you must have a Work Permit to be a company director was the line of thought. 

IO's can make up rubbish too!

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Despite what people think, sorry I find it hard to believe that a uniformed officer at Chonburi office openly asked you for a bribe.  Maybe you misunderstood.

If that happened to me I would immediately complain to the highest supervisor and I bet they would investigate.

they are ALL in it together.....you think a higher ranking officer would "investigate" then your on another planet....!!!

57 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have a friend who was asked for a work permit while applying for a retirement extension! This was by an immigration official.

The reason, address was listed as a house owned in a company name, of which the person was the director... you must have a Work Permit to be a company director was the line of thought. 

IO's can make up rubbish too!

That makes no sense, besides a work permit not being required to be a company director, you cant possibly have a work permit and be on a retire extension. Also, immigration would not have access to ownership details for properties, how would they know a house is owned by a company.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Edheres said:

hold a "Retirement Visa" like I did, and you forget that your Multiple Re-entry Stamp expired, like I did, nothing good will come of it.

It's not something completely different. People who don't recognize the difference between a visa and an extension of ones  permission to stay, (as you seem to do by mistakenly claiming you have a visa) or who don't remember that any re-entry permit is only valid to the expiration date of the permission they held when obtaining the re-entry permit, as you did, often post about the consequences.

And still people get all huffy and full of righteous indignation when they have the difference pointed out to them or are reminded that re-entry permits are tied to the permission/extension they hold when obtaining the re-entry permit ( or at least any agent that supposedly earns his fee ought to have alerted his client about).

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

If it had happened to me, I must admit I probably would have tried slipping the IO 3 thousand baht to see if that made a difference.

If you meet the "wrong" officer you might even have a bigger problem then.

8 minutes ago, Beggar said:

If you meet the "wrong" officer you might even have a bigger problem then.

Well he did say he thought. " it would make a difference." 

What he thought the difference would be is up for debate.

Did he think he would be given a shiny new post-dated re-entry permit that cost nearly twice the baht one thousand and which are not issued by immigrations to those just entering Thailand. Or maybe for one thousand the officer would spill a few ml of white-out on the problematic passport pages?Such a tangled web ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

That makes no sense, besides a work permit not being required to be a company director, you cant possibly have a work permit and be on a retire extension. Also, immigration would not have access to ownership details for properties, how would they know a house is owned by a company.

I did not post it to make sense, it was an example of how some IOs make it up as they go along. And I expect you know that you are required to prove where you live to get a retirement extension. The IO wanted to see a rental contract, of course there isn't one. Now they want to see all the company docs.... 1 set of copies. 

I own my place in a similar way, and Jomtien required nothing of the sort from me.

You cannot expect all offices to have the same requirements, they just don't. They say jump, you ask, how high.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:36 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Is this a troll to denigrate Thai IOs?   Nothing like this has ever happened in Thailand...kind people, lots of smiles, and garlic.

Not true, I had an agent screw me in cahoots with immigration for about 16000 Bts exactly two years ago.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Sometimes mistakes happen. A friend of mine was returning from Australia to Thailand a few months ago and Australian Customs seized his passport saying it had been tampered with (the page with personal details had been laminated many years ago, but he had not been stopped before in his many travels).

He had to get a new passport and returned to Thailand on a visa exempt which, of course, cancelled his current retirement multi-entry 12 month extension. He has tried in Australia to transfer the extension to the new passport, but the embassy would not do it because customs hadn't returned the old passport.

Needless to say he has to start the whole retirement extension process again. So far, the custom seizure has cost him about $5,000 Australian (100,000 Baht) in airfares, hotels, incidental costs etc.

I'm just saying that mistakes and oversights can happen even with a 20 year record of no problems. I, for one, am grateful to the OP for sharing the story so I can learn from his experiences.

Sorry but if he self laminated his passport then it wasn,t the custom seizure that cost him 100,000 baht, but it was thinking he could self laminate a passport! 

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, jackdd said:

Why didn't you just check into a hotel for a night, they would do the TM30 which was probably your problem, and then apply for the extension. Would have saved you about 27500 THB

don't they want to see a TM30 submitted within 24 hours of your arrival AND TM6 which shows the DATE

1 hour ago, justin case said:

don't they want to see a TM30 submitted within 24 hours of your arrival AND TM6 which shows the DATE

tm6 shows the date you entered thailand.

YOUR tm30 shows the date you (allegedly) returned to your main address.

there could be many other tm30's entered by hotels between entry point and home.

16 hours ago, bigginhill said:

Sorry but if he self laminated his passport then it wasn,t the custom seizure that cost him 100,000 baht, but it was thinking he could self laminate a passport! 

He was ahead of his time at least! Nowadays, the personal identity page arrives pre-laminated.