Snap election on horizon after UK lawmakers vote to block 'no-deal' Brexit

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Snap election on horizon after UK lawmakers vote to block 'no-deal' Brexit

It was nether likely... the buffoon just got another bloody nose. ????

He just wasted parliamentary time... He knew he would need a lot more support than the DUP, all he got was one Independent and two Labour MP's, and even two of his own MP's failed to vote. 

Cummings

Is he ^ going to expel them too?     

• Like 2

It has been said to death. Boris has mentioned get rid of the backstop and the EU won't, as it ties the UK to the EU, which is keeping the UK in the EU. Even those who are mentally challenged know this.

This is utter nonsense. It is a transition service — something the UK should be appreciating as it helps her to leave without causing more disruption. The same happens when a company sells a business unit. Typically the selling parent company would agree to provide transition services (such as using the existing IT, licenses, agreements etc.) so that the sold company has time to build those itself (or a potential buyer has time to implement his). I have yet to find a CEO (of a business to be sold or a potential buyer) who would disagree to that — typically it’s the other way round and the selling company would like to get out as soon as possible. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Even if that’s the case — it’s their right to do that. If you want to change it, elect a parliament and government that will not keep the UK in the EU. That’s how the process works. 

That's what we'd like to do. But Parliament will block the General Election for as long as possible as well (via the fixed term parliament act which requires a 2/3 Parliamentary majority to vote for an election) because they know they'd lose their seats. So they...

Block the deal.

Block No Deal.

Block an election to remove them.

Parliament dragging the country down to their level. A shambles and an embarrassment, not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not the case. In the event of a no confidence vote, the Queen would invite Corbyn to form a government. It's doubtful he would be able to do that, parliament would be dissolved and a snap election called.

It may have been possible if he had accepted an alternative interim leader, he's point blank refused to do that. Shame, one of the alternatives proposed was Ken Clark, father of the house and a great statesman. Put principles before self in refusing to vote with the Government and accepted his sacking with magnanimity. A true gentleman.

Last night, he stood up, a couple of rows behind Johnson and proceeded to rip Johnson to shreds...in the nicest possible way. Johnson turned round and tried to give him the death stare but he quickly turned back as he realised that it was Ken giving him the death stare. He didn't miss a beat and continued to dismantle Johnson, who just slid further and further into his seat. Game, set and match. One of the great parliamentary moments.

Great statesman???  5555

Greatest windbag the Commons has produced in the post-war era.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

Boris is absolutely doing the right thing. Your error is not understanding leverage and incentives. The EU doesn't want the UK to leave the EU and they don't really care about the financial havoc that a never ending Brexit process wreaks on the UK Economy. As long as the UK stays in the EU, they are satisfied. So the ONLY way the EU would be inclined to offer the UK a satisfactory deal is the threat of a No Deal. If Boris can't leave on Oct 31st, why would the EU offer him a deal when he goes hat in hand to them on Oct. 30th asking for a good deal? The EU will laugh in the UK's face and say, "Or what?". The UK has no leverage. And without leverage, the status quo will continue indefinitely. Brexit could dominate British elections for the next decade. 

Dominic Cumming's Lines to Take.

1. Corbyn's running frit.

2. Boris's non-existent 'magic deal' which no-one of his reluctant rebels and the EU have ever heard of and can be 'done in days' has been spiked. 

3. piffle waffle Octavian sheet

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

Boris is absolutely doing the right thing. Your error is not understanding leverage and incentives. The EU doesn't want the UK to leave the EU and they don't really care about the financial havoc that a never ending Brexit process wreaks on the UK Economy. As long as the UK stays in the EU, they are satisfied. So the ONLY way the EU would be inclined to offer the UK a satisfactory deal is the threat of a No Deal. If Boris can't leave on Oct 31st, why would the EU offer him a deal when he goes hat in hand to them on Oct. 30th asking for a good deal? The EU will laugh in the UK's face and say, "Or what?". The UK has no leverage. And without leverage, the status quo will continue indefinitely. Brexit could dominate British elections for the next decade. 

That’s certainly not an EU issue. It’s simply because you don’t have a majority for it. That’s something you have solve domestically. 

• Like 1

None of us can foretell the future, but we can at least guess what would happen if there were a Corbyn-called (finally!) election after November 1.  (I'm assuming Boris would have resigned if he had failed to extricate the UK by Oct 31.)

The Tory Party would, in the absence of a no-deal exit and with no acceptable alternative, be reduced to a rump, just like the Liberal Party in the aftermath of WW1.

The GE would be overwhelmingly won by the Brexit Party and the desired exit (as expressed by over 17 million people) would follow soon after.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

You need a hobby other than Brexit and me suggest conkers or marbles if you have any left????

It gives them hope and a reason to face the day even as their purse is ravished - without it .....nothing. The void opens up. Some become monks when facing the void and contemplate insightful silence. Others dance to the twisted tunes of ex-stockbroker, friend of the rich and Trump  Farage. 

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The most funny thing I have read this year.

Corbyn knows he will lose.

Again self serving MP's.

Anyone with any common sense knows that it is all about keeping the UK in the EU.

The rest of your post is just arrogance.

If Corbyn knows that he will lose and doesn't want an election, why would he then agree to have one immediately after the 31 October 2019? Surely he wouldn't want an election at any time? 

Is it because he wants to kill Johnson's "no deal" plans ... and then have an election? 

Anyone who reads and is up to date with events knows all this ... it obviously doesn't appear on your Facebook meme's?

13 minutes ago, blazes said:

None of us can foretell the future, but we can at least guess what would happen if there were a Corbyn-called (finally!) election after November 1.  (I'm assuming Boris would have resigned if he had failed to extricate the UK by Oct 31.)

The Tory Party would, in the absence of a no-deal exit and with no acceptable alternative, be reduced to a rump, just like the Liberal Party in the aftermath of WW1.

The GE would be overwhelmingly won by the Brexit Party and the desired exit (as expressed by over 17 million people) would follow soon after.

Resign that would be the actions of an honourable man - that lying sack of lard Johnson doesn't even know what honour means. Just ask his many children , ex-wives  and girlfriends. Rumour has it that another of his squeezes not the one in No 10 has one in the oven. ????????????

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, blazes said:

The point of this forum is to post opinions on a topic, not propagate fairy tales or dreams.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Resign that would be the actions of an honourable man - that lying sack of lard Johnson doesn't even know what honour means. Just ask his many children , ex-wives  and girlfriends. 

Ask Cummings. He made Boris the man he is today.....for a price.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

This is what helps nail shut the lid on British democracy.

These links refer to illegal spending by the official Leave campaign headed by Boris and Gove. The first article is well worth taking time to read.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/17/vote-leave-broke-electoral-law-and-british-democracy-is-shaken

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/14/judges-brexit-vote-eu-referendum-vote-leave

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44856992

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47755611

These are proven cases in law. This is aside from the blatant lies spouted, most notably the high profile “£350m a week” bus.

Then there’s the matter of the Leave.EU’s unlawful campaign funding and data breaches:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-leave-eu-fine/brexit-campaign-leave-eu-fined-for-unlawful-marketing-idUKKCN1PQ4J2

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44080096

“The Electoral Commission has referred Leave.EU chief executive Liz Bilney to the police, saying it had reasonable grounds to suspect she had committed criminal offences over campaign spending.

Bob Posner, the Commission's director of political finance and regulation, said spending rules were in place to ensure public confidence in democracy and it was "disappointing that Leave.EU, a key player in the EU referendum, was unable to abide by these rules".

"These are serious offences. The level of fine we have imposed has been constrained by the cap on the Commission's fines," he added.”

Aaron Banks “loaned” some £6m to his own Leave.EU campaigned but has unlawfully concealed where that money came from, it most likely comes from outside of the UK. If it were legitimate and allowable then he would have declared the source.

Why would these wealthy individuals have spent so many millions on campaigning? Clearly to convince people to vote the way they wanted – there can be no other explanation. As it would have taken less than 2% of those who voted to have chosen remain rather than leave, it would be unbelievable to pretend that the result was right.

One final point that I just found in one of the above articles. It was widely acknowledged in the build-up to the referendum that it was “advisory”, although leave campaigners pretend that wasn’t the case. The irony here is that because it was advisory, the Electoral Commission cannot declare the vote void or order a re-run.

About blatant lies from the 'leave' camp, and more especially that (in)famous '£350m a week' lie advertised on the side of that bus, it is 'interesting' to remark that BoJo is presently still going on repeating that same lie: yesterday I heard him, in front the gathered MPs, accusing JC of... wanting to 'throw away £1 Billion per month' (£3 Billion during the 3 months extension)...! Will he deny this one?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can you read?

Are you able to listen?

Because if you are able to do that then you would know that Corbyn said he supports an election AFTER No-Deal Brexit is blocked. Because he cares for the UK and he knows No-Deal is a catastrophe.

Corbyn is far away from perfect but what he does about the No-No-Deal and the election makes perfect sense.

Maybe have a look at the news - it helps us all to understand what is going on.

Corbyn is buying time. The BBC published summaries of various recent polls. All show Labor would loose and Corbyn's rating against Johnson is very poor.

He hopes things will be better but won't call an election facing disaster at the polls which would cost him his leadership. 

Corbyn cares for the UK - you're having a laugh! You make such a statement and them have the audacity to say others don't know what's going on. He hates the UK and all it stands for. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, blazes said:

Corbyn can't call a GE. Only parliament can decide to hold an election before the fixed term finishes. Corbyn could call a vote of no confidence and if he wins Boris would be out and the Tories have 14 days to come up with a new acceptable leader. 

Boris called his bluff. Having demanded an election for a long time, Corbyn is actually scared stiff.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:
2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You are right, I am not a EU citizen.

I was meaning a UK citizen not EU.

What the UK wants is obviously many time more difficult. "Just leave" is no option - that is obvious

No this would seem what the MP's want.

Let's look at reality and lets work out a realistic plan. The EU is still waiting to hear a realistic plan from Boris and the UK. Where is his plan?

It has been said to death. Boris has mentioned get rid of the backstop and the EU won't, as it ties the UK to the EU, which is keeping the UK in the EU. Even those who are mentally challenged know this.

It seems I also wrote it wrong. I am a EU citizen and not a UK citizen. I think for the future it would be great if the UK and the countries in the EU would still work productive with each other and if people can travel.

MPs want to get reelected. And it seems some MPs are willing to do everything to get reelected. I believe most of them are smart enough to know that "just leave" is a very stupid idea. But what should they do if some voters, their voters, somehow have this stupid idea?

Did you listen to what the ERG told Boris? Even if the backstop would be removed they still wouldn't support the current deal. They want more and more and more. I also want to have a super rich young pretty girlfriend who loves me for the rest of my life. But I am realistic enough that won't happen. Now with the ERG and Boris supporters ...

My experience with mentally challenged people is that they are mentally challenged. It's impossible to explain tp them that 1 + 1 = 2. They just know it is 3, 1000% sure. They know it and they won't change their mind.

Have a nice day!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

Did you see any sign, even a tiny little sign, that the EU changed their mind because of Boris "leverage"?

It is very obvious that Boris dreams about something which is not happening.

It's like if you go to 7/11 next door and tell them: From tomorrow on I want my beer for 1/2 of the current price. If you don't give it to me for half the price then I will walk away and never come back. Do you think the 7/11 will be impressed by you? Do you think they will give in because your business is so very important to them? Or is it more likely that soon you will go back to them and ask if they let you in again because the next shop is far away and they also don't give you any special price.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you see any sign, even a tiny little sign, that the EU changed their mind because of Boris "leverage"?

It is very obvious that Boris dreams about something which is not happening.

It's like if you go to 7/11 next door and tell them: From tomorrow on I want my beer for 1/2 of the current price. If you don't give it to me for half the price then I will walk away and never come back. Do you think the 7/11 will be impressed by you? Do you think they will give in because your business is so very important to them? Or is it more likely that soon you will go back to them and ask if they let you in again because the next shop is far away and they also don't give you any special price.

But he has been such a good 7/11 customer all the years. Doesn’t he deserve such special treatment? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems I also wrote it wrong. I am a EU citizen and not a UK citizen. I think for the future it would be great if the UK and the countries in the EU would still work productive with each other and if people can travel.

MPs want to get reelected. And it seems some MPs are willing to do everything to get reelected. I believe most of them are smart enough to know that "just leave" is a very stupid idea. But what should they do if some voters, their voters, somehow have this stupid idea?

Did you listen to what the ERG told Boris? Even if the backstop would be removed they still wouldn't support the current deal. They want more and more and more. I also want to have a super rich young pretty girlfriend who loves me for the rest of my life. But I am realistic enough that won't happen. Now with the ERG and Boris supporters ...

My experience with mentally challenged people is that they are mentally challenged. It's impossible to explain tp them that 1 + 1 = 2. They just know it is 3, 1000% sure. They know it and they won't change their mind.

Have a nice day!

In Cumming's / Bannon Game Book it's called Plank Theory. Never underestimate the power of flag waving , and dog-whistle racism in manipulating a section of the disaffected working class. 

Two short planks are even thicker. The expression 'as thick as two short planks', which is sometimes given in the variant form 'as thick as two planks', is of UK origin and dates from the 1970s. ... The phrase led to the later adoption, also in the UK, of the single word 'plank' to describe someone thought to be stupid.