Banks seek deadline delay on switch of ATM cards

webfact

On 9/6/2019 at 2:00 PM, VocalNeal said:

Both my Thai and Indonesian ATM cards are chip and magnetic based. At some ATM's one doesn't even need a card. So doesn't show anything backwards except maybe your attitude to Thailand?

The technology in use in 1st world is called NFC, Near Field Communications, where you just bring the card next to the payment unit. Never seen that in Thailand, years behind.

15 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Just to be clear, Singapore is at the same level as the UK or the Netherlands. If one ASEAN nation can do it, so could Thailand

The first country in the world that migrated totally to chip-based was another ASEAN country, Malaysia, way back in 2005. Thailand is definitely, very, very late.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, robblok said:

But to expect them to be at the same level as the UK and Netherlands for instance is crazy.

In some ways Thai banks are years ahead of Dutch banks.

In the Netherlands: If Friday is a banking holiday and Monday too the money you transfer from a bank account to another bank account on Thursday will arrive the next week on Tuesday.

In Thailand this is instantly.

And in the Netherlands they are talking about fixing this already for years, but in most cases it still doesn't work.

14 hours ago, robblok said:

Just to be clear again Singapore has a lot higher income and different history then Thailand its like saying that all EU countries are at the same level.. also not true. But have fun bashing Thailand.

Singapore did theirs in 2014. Poorer Malaysia, completed the migration in 2005.

Malaysia first to complete chip-based card migration

All our ATM cards are either VISA or Mastercard debit cards with Paywave or Paypass NFC capabilities.

14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Available in Thailand also so I suppose, using your logic, that makes "the rest of the world" as "backward as Thailand, yes?

By the way, the contactless method is restricted to very small amounts for security reasons so the rest of the world, including Thailand, has not "moved on" from chip and PIN cards, at all. 

I just came from the UK and the contactless payment option is a godsend, Use it almost every time.

13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You can get that service in Thailand also!

Maybe not the same as in the UK but i see more and more QR payment options in Thailand.

I used it last week for the first time with my BB app on my phone and it works flawlessly.

10 minutes ago, merijn said:
14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Available in Thailand also so I suppose, using your logic, that makes "the rest of the world" as "backward as Thailand, yes?

By the way, the contactless method is restricted to very small amounts for security reasons so the rest of the world, including Thailand, has not "moved on" from chip and PIN cards, at all. 

I just came from the UK and the contactless payment option is a godsend, Use it almost every time.

13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You can get that service in Thailand also!

Maybe not the same as in the UK but i see more and more QR payment options in Thailand.

I used it last week for the first time with my BB app on my phone and it works flawlessly.

"I just came from the UK and the contactless payment option is a godsend, Use it almost every time".

Good for you, not sure why you're telling me that but I'm happy for you.

Contactless payments are contactless payments wherever you're facilitating the service, UK or Thailand, it's the same service.

On 9/7/2019 at 6:55 PM, Number 6 said:

Monopoly money. It's the same as yours genius. One is paper the other plastic.

Money is dirty but for the life of me I'm never sick. Maybe once in five years a cold. Perhaps it builds my immune system.

I make a pull once a month but I stand in line behind people with card problems seemingly forever. It's so hapless I won't go to the BTS MRT queue to top up if even one person is in the line.

A few days ago some loser charged his food court card in fortune town.

Well yeah, that was the point.  Could have been mine at some point.  Not likely, but possible.  

Never said anything about being sick.  Just that money is dirty.  It is.  Remember to wash your hands.  Handling money is just one source of nasty s**t, pink eye, etc.

Heh heh, that's pretty cool, love it!  Bangkok is great, more places to use the card than where I live.  Hit the 3 month spend requirement on my new credit card, got 50,000 miles bonus.  Keep on racking up the double miles for everything - pack of gum to a new laptop.   It'll pay for our air tickets next holiday.