Thailand drops in ranking of best places for expats - but which country is number 1?

webfact

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

I dunno what u mean but visas in Vietnam are made cheap, easy, fast and simple so  without any of the misery we get here.

So what problems you are talking about?

"without any of the misery we get here"

What misery are you referring to?

I did my last 1 year extension in May. It took me exactly 3min + 1min waiting at Jomtien Immigration.

Just because you and other posters may have problems meeting the requirements for some visas,and needs to do border runs, it doesn't automatically mean that's the case for the rest of us.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I did my last 1 year extension in May. It took me exactly 3min + 1min waiting at Jomtien Immigration.

Just because you and other posters may have problems meeting the requirements for some visas,and needs to do border runs, it doesn't automatically mean that's the case for the rest of us.

Did they demand a TM30?

Guess alot of those aren't happy they have to pay more for their daily hangovers and teenage hookers.

Peoples Always wanna complain. That is the easiest.

Years ago when the Baht was around 50 or more for 1 euro i never hear somebody say "oohh i wish it would drop a bit so the Thai wouldn't have such a bad time". But now when it is the opposit complain complain complain.

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Just make sure even in bad times you win.

20 hours ago, Terminator said:
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:29 AM, seasia said:

So do I.

I arrived in northern Italy in July for a 4 month stay, partly a "Plan B " experiment.

I am just outside the lakeside city of Como.

Nice scenery, nice air quality. Nice fresh food.

Locals friendly, people say Hello to each.

Cars stop at pedestrian crossing ( I do not drive ) so I feel safer.

Quality food is cheaper. Perfectly OK wine around the 2 or 3 Euro mark ( You can pay more of course )

Coffee  in the local bar I go to is 1 Euro. Beer ( large 660 ml is 3.5 Euro.

Far cheaper in the shops though.

I bought some 660ml bottles  on promo at 68 cents. Peroni.

The food that I like is cheaper and fresher than in Thailand.

Labour costs/taxis far more expensive than Thailand.

I am enjoying my stay but doubt I would want to be here in the winter.

Perfect, overwinter in Thailand or anywhere in SEA for that matter...

Or just go to Sicily..moderate temps, great food

On 9/6/2019 at 4:05 PM, Old Croc said:

I have trouble understanding how Italy is ranked second bottom, just below Nigeria.

It's clear you've never been to Italy. Reason: Chubby, entitled women that have embraced feminism - just like Pommy women !! It might have been nice years ago, but too many rabid loud mouthed women. Especially in the more snobby northern regions such as Milan. Just have a look on some Italian TV channels. Good to travel in and out of the place quickly.And it's super expensive.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:23 PM, the guest said:

Nobody is recommending Thailand at all. The country has become too hostile towards foreigners, and it's too expensive. 

Please stop spreading fake news that Thailand is popular, its not !

OMG - crabby <deleted>

I have a few friends that used to go to Thailand, and do not anymore, as they got tired

of the whole scene. Garbage in Pattaya and dirty beaches. Phuket became too expensive

and They now go to places with clean beaches, and less hassle for a short holiday.

I am feeling the same way these days, and may go to Vietnam with a short hop

to Thailand to say hi to friends.

Geezer

6 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have a few friends that used to go to Thailand, and do not anymore, as they got tired

of the whole scene. Garbage in Pattaya and dirty beaches. Phuket became too expensive

and They now go to places with clean beaches, and less hassle for a short holiday.

I am feeling the same way these days, and may go to Vietnam with a short hop

to Thailand to say hi to friends.

Geezer

I think the best idea is to stay at home and just go to your own beach. Why go anywhere??

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

100% agree with you.  Thailand may not be the "Cheap Charlie" paradise it was years ago, but that doesn't make it miserable for everyone.  I haven't had any issues with visas - either a Non O based on marriage or even back to back extensions and a border run for a few months until I stopped being lazy about the Non O.  Every country has its frustrations, but having lived all over the GCC, Thailand is a breeze.  (And I've been living here off and of for 8 years.)

15 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Let me correct that for you

Thailand still affordable and good for those looking for love SEX

I wish gentlemen would not talk in such a convoluted way about our  primal needs. Love ?? - Love ?? I'm dying laughing. In Thailand they are called working ladies - in Italy they are called puttana's.

5 hours ago, Melbun said:

It's clear you've never been to Italy. Reason: Chubby, entitled women that have embraced feminism - just like Pommy women !! It might have been nice years ago, but too many rabid loud mouthed women. Especially in the more snobby northern regions such as Milan. Just have a look on some Italian TV channels. Good to travel in and out of the place quickly.And it's super expensive.

It's much clearer that your assumptions based on one sentence from me, is muddied.

Even though I don't think someone like you is entitled to clarification, I will advise I have travelled extensively in Italy.  I was not looking for women there, I had a cute one with me at the time. 

The fact that you judge a place, as a likely place to live, on your criteria of the quality of women there, says a lot about you and helps to explain why you prefer Nigeria.

18 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

It's much clearer that your assumptions based on one sentence from me, is muddied.

Even though I don't think someone like you is entitled to clarification, I will advise I have travelled extensively in Italy.  I was not looking for women there, I had a cute one with me at the time. 

The fact that you judge a place, as a likely place to live, on your criteria of the quality of women there, says a lot about you and helps to explain why you prefer Nigeria.

Old Alligator. You know precious little. I have also traveled very extensively in all of Italy. I was also born there and speak fluent Italian. So, get about your business and don't try to teach me how to suck eggs. I already know mate !! Indeed it is you that has a muddied view. The reason's (plural) was to do with feminism AND expensive cost of living. This is a very important aspect of why people want to live elsewhere. Nigeria _ What are you drinking ?? I have never said anything of Nigeria. You are obviously intoxicated.

1 minute ago, Melbun said:

Old Alligator. You know precious little. I have also traveled very extensively in all of Italy. I was also born there and speak fluent Italian. So, get about your business and don't try to teach me how to suck eggs. I already know mate !!

The less I know about you, the better.

Your breakfast eating habits, while somewhat disgusting are of little interest. 

You lack of knowledge of crocodilian species seem to be somewhat akin to that of your knowledge of women and surveys about expat living.  

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The less I know about you, the better.

Your breakfast eating habits, while somewhat disgusting are of little interest. 

You lack of knowledge of crocodilian species seem to be somewhat akin to that of your knowledge of women and surveys about expat living.  

OMG - What on earth are you drinking - turpentine ?? Bye now.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:19 PM, BobbyL said:

As a real expat that is living and working here legally then it offers a lot of positives. My salary is higher here than in England and I get extra benefits that I wouldn't get back home (bonus, flights, housing allowance etc).

For people who are retired or trying to wing it here on tourists visas then this study isn't really for you. The only thing that has massively annoyed me over the last year or so has been the TM30 nonsense, whereas the high BHT and low GBP has been great for me. 

Like your "real expat" thing; remember "real men don't eat quiche"?

But I think you miss the point, which is that the military <whatever> wants the white faces (feces as the call it) out of their country. We are unacceptable to them because democracy is in our genes. So whether you are a "real expat", a poor or rich retiree, a father of Thai children, a generation Z bum, it won't make any difference, we'll have to go at some stage.

I have my plan B, the only question remaining is when will it be time to go? I mean the time at which we may get close to physical injury or even death.

It's certainly no surprise Thailand has plummeted in popularity with western expats since the first of the year.  We can give credit to Thai Immigration for imposing further archaic rules to live long term in their country.  At this rate, it won't be long before Thailand falls to the ranking just above North Korea for best places to live.  Great job ????   

Archived