Thailand drops in ranking of best places for expats - but which country is number 1?

webfact

20 minutes ago, toenail said:

Taiwan with a “language barrier”-??? I find Thailand to be worse. Understand ably the further you get away from the capital city or in the rural area the locals  cannot speak English- but even in the tourist towns the English is limited.  I found the young generation in Taiwan more capable speaking English compared to Thais. -but the Taiwan youth want to learn English ( unlike the majority of Thai students.  But the education system is totally different along with the Taiwanese being more “high tec-savvy “ Most Thais only know about Youtube & Facebook.  Using their phones for research or  learning about world events is rare.)

I worked in Taiwan about 12 years ago, I found them to be not very friendly.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I am not surprised Thailand has dropped to 17 I expect it to be down in the 20s next year as there are far to many restrictions 90 day reporting TM30 if you don’t sleep in your own bed , having to leave a certain amount of money in the bank, not allowed to buy a house in your own name and that’s just for starters.

????? 17th . We reading the same table I see 25th!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Thailand is still no. 1.. for real expats that make some money and less attractive for pensioners on a few bucks... what's new???

Have to agree with this one...met many retirees, especially in Pattaya and Hua Hin, just eking out an existence. Cannot be much fun having to count the pennies all the time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1