Thailand's foreign businesses balk at stricter immigration tracking

webfact

On 9/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, BTB1977 said:

That Norwegian guy on the run, that killed the man from the UK will be caught when he does the TM 30 report.  See who's laughing than about the importance of the TM 30.

What makes you think he'll be doing a TM30 report?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/6/2019 at 11:58 AM, gunderhill said:

Great, keep  up the pressure on the mindless nonsense, idiots  who brought this "back in" well done jfcct now come on  EMBASSIES show us what you've  got?

Yes , indeed, let the 3 Embassies that refused to co=operate with their own  citizens and Thai Immigration by stopping Embassy Income leters while all the other 80 still issue the letters and changed very little.   It's time to speak up about all of this nonsense and bring back the income letters and stop the TM30 chaos.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:29 PM, roamer said:

Fine, if that is your thing. But for those who prefer to stay somewhat upmarket your option could be worse than the TM30 hassle.

Upmarket? All I ask of a hotel or guesthouse is clean, aircon, comfortable bed. Plenty around if one knows where to look. Upmarket is for people with more money than sense.

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If I see another "I dont know what the issue is" or "I will never do a TM30" comment, I think I will scream.

IF you have been lucky enough to live somewhere where TM30 is not enforced, good luck to you, enjoy it while it lasts.

At some point in time there is a pretty good chance that your local office will start enforcing the TM30.

Then you will, "know what the issue is" and "will have no choice" in doing a TM30.

Enforcement in Bangkok is a recent thing, for other areas (Chaing Mai, Pattaya etc) it has been enforced for a couple of years now, ever since the shrine bombings. A couple of years ago TM30 threads were full of people from Bangkok making the "whats the issue" or " I wont ever do one" comments. Now its Bangkok people up in arms.

I have a TM30 reciept, in my box of immigration rubbish, dated 6 years ago from when I moved into GFs house. 4 years ago, I lived at Siracha and couldn't do a 90 day report because I didn't have a TM30.

Its not a new law, and for many of us, its not even new enforcement. 

Go ahead, scream. I live in Chiang Mai, according to you one of the problem areas. Really? I didn't file a TM 30 for 7 years. Filing them now, the condo staff do it for me.

Why is it such a big deal with some posters?

This is probably the main reason why Thailand fell 7 places from 18 to 25 out of 64 in the annual Top Expat Destinations Survey of March 2019.

It will be interesting to see whether immigration cancel this procedure, and if not, whether there is a further fall when the 2020 results are published.

3 hours ago, the guest said:

Strange that Vietnam is no.2 in the world for expats. Coincidence? or is it that they are making tourists more welcome?

https://cms-internationsgmbh.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/file/cms-media/public/2019-09/Expat-Insider-2019_The-InterNations-Survey_0.pdf

According to that "survey" Thailand has better education than the USA, the land with the most prestigous universities.

The whole thing is about WORKING there, do you plan to WORK there?

How do they make you more welcome??

15 day max visa exempt, not allowed to return within 30 days.

No retirement visa, no way to buy land, not even for vietnamese, no elite visa, no education visa, no longstay visa at all, all you can do is buy a fake business visa where they will crack down on.

You are so welcome there, report back to us.

Go figure.

Don't forget to pay taxes on your worldwide income, or they lock you up in the country, you are not allowed to leave anymore:

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/business/20190613/foreigners-failing-to-pay-tax-will-be-banned-from-exiting-vietnam-new-law/50310.html

Oh and the business visas get voided left and right, it's a known scam to get bribes: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=827419

he previous visa agent who helped you to apply for 12-month business visa used a fake profile to apply for you. That means they created a company, and put all their visa Clients as employees of that company, so they can legalise the business visa application. 
But those Clients don't actually work for the company, and that company doesn't actually do any business, beside the function of being a company to apply for business visa.

As I've heard, it happens more and more that those business visas are denied and the foreigners who apply for business visa that way (without an actual employer) is denied to enter the country.

That's the longterm option people use there, very future proof, so great.

On 9/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, mercman24 said:

i have said this until i am blue in the face, do they think any terrorist or one up to no good would be staying in a hotel, ? no of course not, they would be staying in a safe house with friends. stupidity at its best,and now the busines world has come to say how silly this TM 30 thing is, as they say, they dont get hounded in other countries.

Actually, the Iranian terrorists who were supposed to target the Israeli Embassy and blew themselves up instead stayed at the Top Thai Hotel off Walking Street, Pattaya.

Several of the suspected Erawhan bombers stayed a normal Thai apartment blocks in Ban Kapi.

The landlord had never reported that they resided there despite laws that were in place at that time, 6 years ago.  That is what started this whole foreigner address registration ball rolling in the first place.

There are actually no new laws pertaining to this, just re-emphasis on enforcement of laws that were in place but ignored.

6 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Yes , indeed, let the 3 Embassies that refused to co=operate with their own  citizens and Thai Immigration by stopping Embassy Income leters while all the other 80 still issue the letters and changed very little.   It's time to speak up about all of this nonsense and bring back the income letters and stop the TM30 chaos.

US embassy stopped issuing letters all over the place not just Thailand, not sure about the other countries. Only thing I can figure they are trying to stop the retiree's from leaving America? 

IMO if Thailand wants western expats to keep coming they should accept bank statements. The 800K, 400K in a Thai bank is stopping expats from moving to Thailand. 

Looks to me like the Thais got mad and it played into the hands of the US and the other countries that stopped the letter. 

Who knows, but it will stop most US expats retiring to Thailand for sure.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:34 PM, Bob12345 said:

All laughing aside, the tm30 requirement does make it difficult for a person like that to find a place to stay. He cant stay in hotels or guest houses so that either leaves dodgy places, houses of friends (would you let a murderer in?), or the streets. 

Many hotels/guesthouses wifey and I have stayed in use her details to register saying it's easier than having to file a TM30.

On 9/6/2019 at 12:06 PM, Biikqth said:

I suspect that the government will hold the line until a large company, such as a motor vehicle manufacturer, says that it is relocating from Thailand because the restrictions are impacting on the happiness of its expat employees and causing them to want to leave Thailand.

Toyota is already doing it. 

Who wants to pay 30% plus more for a vehicle built in Thailand for export ?

All down to the baht.

Two years ago a vehicle built for export was say 500,000.

The same vehicle built today is 650,000 equivalent. 

Because of the drop in currency exchange. 

All car manufacturers are looking at the equations. 

Basically 30% more baht is required to purchase. 

Toyota is already doing it. 
Who wants to pay 30% plus more for a vehicle built in Thailand for export ?
All down to the baht.
Two years ago a vehicle built for export was say 500,000.
The same vehicle built today is 650,000 equivalent. 
Because of the drop in currency exchange. 
All car manufacturers are looking at the equations. 
Basically 30% more baht is required to purchase. 
Which has absolutely no relevance to immigration rules that this topic is focused on....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 9/6/2019 at 1:34 PM, Bob12345 said:

All laughing aside, the tm30 requirement does make it difficult for a person like that to find a place to stay. He cant stay in hotels or guest houses so that either leaves dodgy places, houses of friends (would you let a murderer in?), or the streets. 

I know of hotels where one can stay and NO ID is asked for.

On 9/6/2019 at 12:21 PM, Jacob Ree Smog said:

Oh my, I've been hearing a lot about this TM30 hoo-ha over the last few months. Can't say I've ever done one nor plan to do one in the future. I'm predicting that in six months time or so this nonsense shall be dropped completely due to pressures from business and local Thai people losing money. None of my fellow peers have every filled one out either. It all seems a tad silly in this day and age.

same with me. I left my province for 3 days and returned. No way will I bother doing tm30

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
On 9/6/2019 at 4:40 PM, bluesofa said:
On 9/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, Thaifriends said:

I now dream of TM30 because I follow this forum regularly ????

I dream of Jeannie.

The conundrum is how to put the TM30 Jeannie back in the bottle. 

Just ask her to not file TM30s when you stay with her. Problem solved.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, spermwhale said:

Maybe if foreign companies speak up and threaten to pull up their tents the Thai government will listen. Money is the only thing that matters for the Thai government and if enough companies squawk and threaten to go to Communist Vietnam or Cambodia, the government will rethink its approach. 

Of course, they'll listen. They'll make the employees of those big companies exempt and keep the TM 30 in place for everyone else.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:21 PM, flyfrog said:

I just come back from Europe, I work here and have work permit, do I have to get that TM30 paper?

Yes, you do. And as it's already 24 hours after you've arrived, you also must pay a fine.

12 hours ago, garyk said:

US embassy stopped issuing letters all over the place not just Thailand, not sure about the other countries. Only thing I can figure they are trying to stop the retiree's from leaving America?

They are not trying to stop Americans from leaving the country.  The Income letters are still isued in Columbia and Peru.   There are no other countries that I am aware of that issued income letters except the above and Thailand.  In other countries - one can prove their income via letters from Social Security and other pension providers and have the letters notarized.

10 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Which has absolutely no relevance to immigration rules that this topic is focused on....

You state the point of no relevance?

The response is as relevant as the post I responded to. 

Of course there is relevance. 

Freedom of movement for people who have to work here is relevant to the TM30.

When I was here and with Ford I never heard any of the present day <deleted> that we get hit with now.

I was moving all over the place and never heard anything about reports or reporting residence. 

You state the point of no relevance?
The response is as relevant as the post I responded to. 
Of course there is relevance. 
Freedom of movement for people who have to work here is relevant to the TM30.
When I was here and with Ford I never heard any of the present day that we get hit with now.
I was moving all over the place and never heard anything about reports or reporting residence. 

555555 how on earth has the exchange rate got anything to do with a TM30 report thread......

On 9/6/2019 at 12:21 PM, Jacob Ree Smog said:

Oh my, I've been hearing a lot about this TM30 hoo-ha over the last few months. Can't say I've ever done one nor plan to do one in the future. I'm predicting that in six months time or so this nonsense shall be dropped completely due to pressures from business and local Thai people losing money. None of my fellow peers have every filled one out either. It all seems a tad silly in this day and age.

You've never done a TM30. So, you just stay at home and don't travel. I am in CM and they do require you to report, and if late a fine of 1600 baht. 

Archived