Wood

Wongkitlo

Your location would help those that know.  You would prefer a lumber yard but the Home places also have bundles of slats probably not quite the size you want.  Guaranteed to be warped.

You may want to check out aluminum studs for this climate though.

Your location would help those that know.  You would prefer a lumber yard but the Home places also have bundles of slats probably not quite the size you want.  Guaranteed to be warped.

You may want to check out aluminum studs for this climate though.
Thanks for the reply. I just need to build a small stud wall (and a few other small things). Location is a bit difficult as is very remote. I was just hoping to get a close to price. I tried homepro with no luck.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Home Pro should have something but maybe not inside the store.  Anyway, Global House will have.  I used to get bundles of (to wit) 1/2" x 2" for a few hundred baht.  Again, depending on province you are in, there should be a lumber yard somewhere.  Good stuff is $$$.

5 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Thanks for the reply. I just need to build a small stud wall (and a few other small things). Location is a bit difficult as is very remote. I was just hoping to get a close to price. I tried homepro with no luck.

HomePro is usually the least good place to look better are 

Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu though they may not have material for studs. Better is a wood yard. 

Location as "very remote" isn't a good guide, and if you have tried a HomePro it can't be that remote.

Do appreciate the reply.Live Pattaya, have business on an island. Know very little about wood prices in Thailand. I'm guessing I can get a 3 metre length (1inch by 4) for between 100 and 200 baht but that is relying on my memory of buying some years ago. Was hoping someone had more recent experiences .

1 minute ago, Wongkitlo said:

Do appreciate the reply.Live Pattaya, have business on an island. Know very little about wood prices in Thailand. I'm guessing I can get a 3 metre length (1inch by 4) for between 100 and 200 baht but that is relying on my memory of buying some years ago. Was hoping someone had more recent experiences .

Living in Pattaya is hardly remote, there will be many others who will be able to tell you where the wood yards are in your area.

Home Pro should have something but maybe not inside the store.  Anyway, Global House will have.  I used to get bundles of (to wit) 1/2" x 2" for a few hundred baht.  Again, depending on province you are in, there should be a lumber yard somewhere.  Good stuff is $$$.
Hey thanks. I went somewhere yesterday an they wanted 270b a length so I guess that is the expensive option. I have looked there before and what I wanted was nearly double what I had paid elsewhere. Few hundred baht sounds good.Cheers.

5 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Hey thanks. I went somewhere yesterday an they wanted 270b a length so I guess that is the expensive option. I have looked there before and what I wanted was nearly double what I had paid elsewhere. Few hundred baht sounds good.Cheers.

The wood that they have in stock will make an enormous difference in price. Be sure that you are comparing the same  species of wood before complaining about the cost. 

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Yeah. What's the species that consists of scraps, dado joints, and glue? 

I don't know of anything like that.

There are 2 that are short lengths finger jointed with just enough glue to keep them together. The commonest one is Rubberwood, the other that I found last month is thisIMG_8163.thumb.JPG.431aa49dbea52341a9d23a4ca5da85a5.JPG

the Rubberwood makes nice table tops

P8283300.thumb.JPG.1e332b09d9157a7c995ab2097db58a6d.JPGP1000418.thumb.JPG.67ff4af5f8c1080a1ee6ab4d9648b067.JPGP1030854.thumb.JPG.110801bb4ba1262f53e144d50fcb53a7.JPG

I  don't know anyone who has been able to give an accurate translation but it looks rather like pine of some kind, it is quite resinous, that is what google translate comes up with as well when I tried it just now.

I have no idea where the raw material has been sourced 

14 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I don't know of anything like that.

There are 2 that are short lengths finger jointed with just enough glue to keep them together. The commonest one is Rubberwood, the other that I found last month is thisIMG_8163.thumb.JPG.431aa49dbea52341a9d23a4ca5da85a5.JPG

the Rubberwood makes nice table tops

P8283300.thumb.JPG.1e332b09d9157a7c995ab2097db58a6d.JPGP1000418.thumb.JPG.67ff4af5f8c1080a1ee6ab4d9648b067.JPGP1030854.thumb.JPG.110801bb4ba1262f53e144d50fcb53a7.JPG

I  don't know anyone who has been able to give an accurate translation but it looks rather like pine of some kind, it is quite resinous, that is what google translate comes up with as well when I tried it just now.

I have no idea where the raw material has been sourced 

STWW that cheap bundled finger jointed timber is resin wood, the most common construction timber here, and the very favorite food of termites. My floor has a few and have cost me dear.

The tree is Dipterocarpus Alatus which has two similar names here,  mai nang/ mai yang na.

As you say, full of resin, they burn the trees here and chop out the resin wood and sell it on the markets as firestarters etc, its  criminal

57 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

STWW that cheap bundled finger jointed timber is resin wood, the most common construction timber here, and the very favorite food of termites. My floor has a few and have cost me dear.

The tree is Dipterocarpus Alatus which has two similar names here,  mai nang/ mai yang na.

As you say, full of resin, they burn the trees here and chop out the resin wood and sell it on the markets as firestarters etc, its  criminal

@eyecatcher I wouldn't say it's full of resin, I have some hardwood that has much more, it certainly has more than Rubberwood but much less than other hardwood I've got.

While recognition of unnamed wood isn't one of my strengths this is certainly nothing I've seen here before and has a lot of the characteristics of one of the pines, as is claimed on its label.

Here are a couple of closer photos with a piece of Rubberwood as a colour reference.

IMG_8171.thumb.JPG.cbffd0e892e880326ce9f60559460d5b.JPGIMG_8172.thumb.JPG.789beffd8ef1fa7962532c82945225d2.JPGIMG_8173.thumb.JPG.5dd5efa2e5de389039bcb4fc5dbaabc0.JPG

Have you seen any similar grain structure and patterning on anything local?

I haven't cut into one of the sheets yet but as I recall the bulk pile had a distinct pine smell.

Wood grains very difficult to i.d but I think the box is mango and seen not as you nornally see it, scalloped out into abowl shape.

Mahoghany,meranti, rosewoods all have a redness colouration.

Its surprising how woods change, depending on which part of the tree its from. Aftersuggesting the pine lookalike is resin wood I am sticking to that, but if you were to just show me that photo I would say maple every time.

15 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Aftersuggesting the pine lookalike is resin wood I am sticking to that,

@eyecatcher Does the resin wood tree grow outside the tropical/subtropical area? I ask because the ring structure clearly shows that it's been grown in an area with cold winters and warm summers. That is a temperature range producing a structure that doesn't happen in tropical grown trees

IMG_8171.JPG.0b7f05813a1bb2ecb03764f8bb3362ea.JPGIMG_8173.JPG.af108fbcb914945eb31f938f97df89a7.JPG

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@eyecatcher Does the resin wood tree grow outside the tropical/subtropical area? I ask because the ring structure clearly shows that it's been grown in an area with cold winters and warm summers. That is a temperature range producing a structure that doesn't happen in tropical grown trees

IMG_8171.JPG.0b7f05813a1bb2ecb03764f8bb3362ea.JPGIMG_8173.JPG.af108fbcb914945eb31f938f97df89a7.JPG

My days of dendrochronology are well behind me, but growth rings are not just based on temperate/tundra/tropical areas and can vary due to the amount of rainfall each season, or drought, climate changes, even treecrowding on one side....but you know that.

It seems however that the resin wood tree is a purely tropical plant, which is what I would expect....why import cheap wood.

As an aside I visited a boutique shop here, farang owner, he was importing pine from scandinavia to make bedroom furniture for customers. We were just comparing prices for beds. Unbelievably expensive, so we went for the cheaper option...solid handmade teak.

Archived