Old habits die hard: Stores try to cut down on plastic bags, but shoppers remain stubborn

rooster59

Here in California, Plastic bags are available, but they cost ten cents each.  No free bags any more.  I am fine with that.  Not much of a price concern to most people especially when buying $50 worth of groceries, but I do see many people, not most and certainly not the majority bringing their own shopping cloth bags.  The problem is of course, the frozen or cold foods leave condensation moisture in the bags, fruits or vegetables may leak into your cloth bag, etc.  

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Here in California, Plastic bags are available, but they cost ten cents each.  No free bags any more.  I am fine with that.  Not much of a price concern to most people especially when buying $50 worth of groceries, but I do see many people, not most and certainly not the majority bringing their own shopping cloth bags.  The problem is of course, the frozen or cold foods leave condensation moisture in the bags, fruits or vegetables may leak into your cloth bag, etc.  

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

There is this new wonderful invention called a thermal bag, keeps frozen and chilled foods cold. Carry one or two in your car, reusable , inexpensive, and good value

Just stop having them as an option. Today. Screw the buyers. Every store. Sell paper or cloth bags as an option. Customers will figure it out real quick.

Always giving in to the people is a terrible idea if you want change because people are not smart enough to understand what needs to happen in order for change to take place.

Just stop having them as an option. Today. Screw the buyers. Every store. Sell paper or cloth bags as an option. Customers will figure it out real quick.

Always giving in to the people is a terrible idea if you want change because people are not smart enough to understand what needs to happen in order for change to take place.

Yes, the government knows what’s best for the people.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:02 AM, bdenner said:

Our local Tesco has tried to introduce large brown paper bags on 3 occasions I know of. Customers seem to be OK with them but the checkout staff get very frustrated trying to unfold and pack them.

Stores like Makro will not allow you to carry reusable carry bags with you into their stores so one has to go through their bullshlt method of placing items from one trolley into another as they are being checked out then repacking in the boot of the car. These effin wackers are not trying to help the situation

<deleted> <deleted> are everywhere I am sad to say.

When I enter Makro I leave my reusable bags at their reception counter and get an ID receipt. After doing my shopping and passing through checkout I reclaim my reusable bags from the other side of the reception counter and fill them with the goods in my trolley and then take my bags to my taxi. What's so <deleted> difficult about that?

No plastic bags........isn't that the point of the exercise. Good on you Makro!

Maybe shoppers are not so stupid to believe, that saying no to plastic bags will solve the environmental crisis.  We would just instead have to buy new plastic bags for our garbage.

You should be composting, not generating garbage.

We should all try to keep my carbon footprint as close to zero as possible.

16 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

if every biz just started charging 5 baht a bag people would start bringing their own for sure.

But at least they should give people a choice.  With a proper governmental recycling and waste management in place, plastic bags would be the most environmental friendly solution.  But as long as the government fails to take responsibility, all initiatives are doomed to fail. A tax on all sorts of plastic, paper and other packing  materials would be more than welcome, if necessary, to finance a governmental solution.

if every biz just started charging 5 baht a bag people would start bringing their own for sure.

Yes, that way the rich won’t have to be bothered and the poor will be compelled to shift to reusable bags. It’s brilliant.

Let’s increase registration fees ten-fold and add another B100 per liter to fuel prices and get some of the poor off the road as well.

4 hours ago, tominbkk said:

point here being EVERY....the smart businesses would give them out for free and see a surge of customers...I know if i have 2 options to shop i choose the place with free plastic bags EVERY time and I am not alone....Seen many a shop here try to stop plastic bags and even though they started offering them again a few months later their businesses have never fully recovered.

3 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Yes, that way the rich won’t have to be bothered and the poor will be compelled to shift to reusable bags. It’s brilliant.

Let’s increase registration fees ten-fold and add another B100 per liter to fuel prices and get some of the poor off the road as well.

One Australian politician stated that poor people do not drive cars

19 hours ago, Cadbury said:

<Snip>

When I enter Makro I leave my reusable bags at their reception counter and get an ID receipt. After doing my shopping and passing through checkout I reclaim my reusable bags from the other side of the reception counter and fill them with the goods in my trolley and then take my bags to my taxi. What's so <deleted> difficult about that?

No plastic bags........isn't that the point of the exercise. Good on you Makro!

Well if your happy with jerking around, double handling the checkout procedure, good on you. I use reusable bags everywhere and Makro is the only store I know of, in Thailand and my home country, that puts one through this bullshlt. I guess it provides a job for the brain dead idiot who does a token receipt check. Someone said it's to prevent shop lifting = More bullshlt! how much gear fits into a folded bag? If it wasn't for some of their stocked items I'd never go in there!

In saying that I do agree that single use plastic bags, cups, strawers etc need to be banned period. MAKE customers look for alternatives rather than pampering to them.

Easy fixed . Start using the old style string bag. Very small to carry with you when empty, and the neighbours can see the contents very easily!

If no plastic bags how will the folks in my area be able to show others what they have in their bag while walking home from the store?  It is customary to do that up north here, an amusing trait.

Sent from my G8441 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've been using reusable bags for years and I like them since I can pack like goods in one bag as I shop, No hot food on top of the butter, etc.  You can't do that in Makro since they won't let you take the bags in.

I went to Tesco last week, the first time since they no longer bag the groceries.  One problem is  that there are no bags for sale inside and no bags for sale at checkout.  Makro at least has heavy plastic bags for sale at checkout that are supposed to be reusable but they are not good. If you fill them the handles rip off.

If they are not going to offer paper or plastic they should have  reasonably priced reusable bags for sale at checkout  I saw one couple in the parking lot loading their groceries into the back of their pickup, trolley and all.  Look for the guards to reappear at the parking lot entrances.  The one's at Makro are still there.

I've been using reusable bags for years and I like them since I can pack like goods in one bag as I shop, No hot food on top of the butter, etc.  You can't do that in Makro since they won't let you take the bags in.

I went to Tesco last week, the first time since they no longer bag the groceries.  One problem is  that there are no bags for sale inside and no bags for sale at checkout.  Makro at least has heavy plastic bags for sale at checkout that are supposed to be reusable but they are not good. If you fill them the handles rip off.

If they are not going to offer paper or plastic they should have  reasonably priced reusable bags for sale at checkout  I saw one couple in the parking lot loading their groceries into the back of their pickup, trolley and all.  Look for the guards to reappear at the parking lot entrances.  The one's at Makro are still there.

The Makro I shop at lets you carry your bag around inside.

The bags they sell (B20?) with handles are <deleted>, but the cheaper (B3?) bags are great.

2 hours ago, wayned said:

I've never had a problem taking my own bags into Makro. The guards that used to be at the parking lot entrance/exits have long gone..... some years ago.  Obviously different Makros.

Archived