Old habits die hard: Stores try to cut down on plastic bags, but shoppers remain stubborn

rooster59

I have one Tesco Lotus Express and one 7/11 just outside my condo building and another 7/11 100 meters away. I shop in at least 2 of them every week. This is Pattaya. Not one of these stores have changed the way they use plastic bags. It's still double plastic when it's heavy. I am 100% sure it's same in every store where I'm staying.

When using Tesco Lotus online-shopping with home delivery, you can choose with or without plastic bags. When I shop at the biggest farang supermarkets in Pattaya they pack my food in plastic bags automatically. Same at every fresh food market. I have never seen other than plastic bags anywhere. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fred white said:

The tree huggers wanted to get rid of the paper bags cause of all the trees being killed now they want to do away with the plastic bags they ain't never gonna be happy

Tree huggers is a pejorative term, and not helpful IMO, I don't think plastic bags became prevalent do to environmental concerns , I think it was more of an economic consideration,They were simply cheaper, easier and more durable. but with the associated unforeseen consequences.

Time to reconsider IMO.

Do not have plastic bags in the stores or plastic straws in the food outlets. Not too long ago the waxed paper straws worked fine. You at the stores can offer paper bags. They also worked fine. Meat wrapping in brown paper was fine. What in the World is going on in your minds people? Stupidity is running rampant.

It is not just plastic bags, it is ALL plastics and other things that aren't bio-degradable.   It also brings into discussion  what are they going to do when the black stuff under the ground is all gone.

The world's leaders need to get smart.....I understand that's asking a LOT.......but worrying about plastic bags is a very, very small part of the larger picture.  How about all the other petroleum products in addition to bags?  

The bigger picture needs to be solved by governments, scientists and industry.  Climate change is peanuts compared to "everything" we should all be worried about to sustain the earth for it's future inhabitants. 

Think past plastic bags to everything in your world that cannot be regenerated in some manner.   It's a big, big, big issue.  I wonder if anyone will ever convince the world's inhabitants to behave more logically and intelligently.

Removing plastic bags is 'creating a problem to a problem', instead of creating a solution to a problem. Plastic bags have their purpose.. paper bags won't last long on a motorbike especially in the rain. I once took my own backpack and used the "eco lane" in central foodhall. Guess who's bag was full of curry after getting home, despite being already in a plastic box wrapped in cling film.. 

How difficult is it to start using biodegradable plastics bags?

1 minute ago, SS1 said:

Removing plastic bags is 'creating a problem to a problem', instead of creating a solution to a problem. Plastic bags have their purpose.. paper bags won't last long on a motorbike especially in the rain. I once took my own backpack and used the "eco lane" in central foodhall. Guess who's bag was full of curry after getting home, despite being already in a plastic box wrapped in cling film.. 

How difficult is it to start using biodegradable plastics bags?

I think the question is not how difficult, but how expensive. If it was economically feasible it would had being done already.

Perhaps you should not be doing your food shopping on a bike, But I understand that a bike might be the only option in which case , bring your own reusable bags.

Bags are only the tip of the iceberg.  Even if they banned all bags - everything is wrapped in 10 layers of plastic.  Thai's are get ALL their drinkable substances from plastic bottles with the exception of their booze.  They use 3 straws for every drink.  Only the government can enforce policy to enable biodegradable plastic or ban it (faint hope).

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

So what are we supposed to do? Carry around four or five canvas bags all the time? Because I often go to supermarkets when the chance arises during the day. Unless you're some ancient old foggy who has nothing else to do all day but plan trips and who has made a religious fetish out of crusading against plastic, you have a life to live and that means you need a flexible schedule, not some etched in stone rule about lugging around canvas bags at work and in taxis.

You know when you’re gonna do a big shop, so yes, bring some canvas bags.  That’s what I do. 

I like the plastic bags but I think they should all just be one large size so as they can be reused. I reuse all the bags.

I've read an article that cited a study that people just go buy plastic garbage bags anyway.

I'm all for reducing plastic. Plastic in product packaging, utensils, etc.

When I was a kid we repurposed paper grocery bags for the garbage. Well, I need something and buying 100 large, heavy paper bags will be very heavy and expensive and I'm not entirely certain will be any better for environment.

Finally, another issue in Bangkok is the filthy food waste, refuse in waste. In the garbage truck this drips everywhere and fouls the streets and sidewalks.

12 hours ago, bdenner said:
Our local Tesco has tried to introduce large brown paper bags on 3 occasions I know of. Customers seem to be OK with them but the checkout staff get very frustrated trying to unfold and pack them.

+++

It was a dismal failure. The customers all went of to Big C (Big Care) and it has hurt the store near me financially.

Big C have a range of plastic bags for all small items, and they are a lovely environmental green. A bigger item can be covered in extra wide cling film.

I find that plastic straws make good fishing floats. The trick is to cut about three centimeters off a couple, flatten them and fold lengthways. Slip a couple into a untouched straw and force a polystyrene ball into each end*. You then have a strong, cheap stick float.

Another important thing about plastic bags - and I haven't seen it posted - is the boon plastic bags have been for transporting fish and other aquatic life.

But as always in this regular topic; dispose of your plastic bags responsibly. 

* This is why the straws are cut; to make room for the ball.

Going back several years, the Rim Ping supermarkets in Chiang Mai used biodegradable bags which really did break down quickly.

Personally think there should be a war on plastic, and plastic injection molding companies should clean up their act or be mothballed. It would hit industries across the board and will be at expense to the general populace, but something has to happen.

12 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Going back several years, the Rim Ping supermarkets in Chiang Mai used biodegradable bags which really did break down quickly.

The problem with those biodegradable bags is that although do breakdown , the plastic is still there , just in smaller pieces ,which enters the food chaih

13 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Personally think there should be a war on plastic, and plastic injection molding companies should clean up their act or be mothballed. It would hit industries across the board and will be at expense to the general populace, but something has to happen.

Please Sir do not bring up biodegradable plastic bags.....Its not politically correct and does not fit into the narrative to ban all disposable bags.....

13 hours ago, bdenner said:

Stores like Makro will not allow you to carry reusable carry bags with you into their stores so one has to go through their bullshlt method of placing items from one trolley into another as they are being checked out then repacking in the boot of the car. These effin wackers are not trying to help the situation

This has not been my experience. I was in Makro yesterday with the cloth bag that I keep in the car. All my shopping fit in the bag. The cashier didn't bat a eye. This was not the first time. Maybe not a nationwide policy?

15 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Wasn't there a thing about bags etc, a few years ago, made from biodegrable plant and rice husks that you could use even in your compost

heap ?

Ptobably stomped on by the plastic bag manufacturers.

3 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

As is typical, everyone must be punished because a few a-holes litter.

Why not punish the a-holes and let the people that want one have a bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I would question your statement 'a few'. 

Around my way it's everybody, and their brother.

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The problem with those biodegradable bags is that although do breakdown , the plastic is still there , just in smaller pieces ,which enters the food chaih

Not true your thinking of oxo-degradable plastic....Not the same as a true biodegradable ....

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Wasn't there a thing about bags etc, a few years ago, made from biodegrable plant and rice husks that you could use even in your compost

heap ?

Ptobably stomped on by the plastic bag manufacturers.

Exactly.........Every one from the media to politicians to the greenies want to ignore this elephant in the living room.....This solution just does not fit in with banning all disposable bags...

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't know if they still do, but Russians used to carry a net bag with them that squeezes up into almost nothing for exactly that reason. But I'm going back a long way, to the days when sometimes there were shortages and then a desired item suddenly appeared in the shop and it had to be bought now while it was still available.

Old Soviet Union joke: Babushka lady stands in line all day for some meat. When she finally gets inside the shop, she says "I suppose you're out of meat, right?" "No," says the man behind the counter, "I'm out of fish. The guy who's out of meat is across the street."

5 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Exactly! So many holier-than-thou people driving their 2 tonne SUV to the supermarket and then proudly using  cloth bags. I don’t have a car in Thailand, and almost never use my car to go shopping in Australia, probably saved the petroleum equivalent of a million plastic bags over the decades.

As usual, the Europeans have it right - give out plastic bags for a small charge. Tops’ 1 bag free day a month is moronic. In addition to banning free plastic bags, how about also banning free supermarket car parks, give people an incentive not to use their cars for short shopping trips.

It's always pissing rain in Europe. And you want to go shopping in the late fall and winter there?

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

So what are we supposed to do? Carry around four or five canvas bags all the time? Because I often go to supermarkets when the chance arises during the day. Unless you're some ancient old foggy who has nothing else to do all day but plan trips and who has made a religious fetish out of crusading against plastic, you have a life to live and that means you need a flexible schedule, not some etched in stone rule about lugging around canvas bags at work and in taxis.

Just keep the canvas bags in your car.

Our local Tesco has tried to introduce large brown paper bags on 3 occasions I know of. Customers seem to be OK with them but the checkout staff get very frustrated trying to unfold and pack them.

Stores like Makro will not allow you to carry reusable carry bags with you into their stores so one has to go through their bullshlt method of placing items from one trolley into another as they are being checked out then repacking in the boot of the car. These effin wackers are not trying to help the situation

You can leave them at reception and get a number tag

I've lived in the Philippines in Metro Manila for a number of years. Most of the municipalities have made it illegal for supermarkets to offer  single use plastic bags, and paper bags are used instead, with recycled cartons for big buys. There's no choice. Life goes on.

14 hours ago, bdenner said:

I often shop at makro and they make us check our reusable bags in for pickup when we leave

1 minute ago, Skyking said:

I've lived in the Philippines in Metro Manila for a number of years. Most of the municipalities have made it illegal for supermarkets to offer  single use plastic bags, and paper bags are used instead, with recycled cartons for big buys. There's no choice. Life goes on.

Well another reason to not live in Manila...

Stores like Makro will not allow you to carry reusable carry bags with you into their stores so one has to go through their bullshlt method of placing items from one trolley into another as they are being checked out then repacking in the boot of the car.

I have some large ripstop carrier bags that fold flat and I tuck into my back waistband, under my shirt. Once I have checked out and left makro, depending on how far away I parked, I have the option of bagging my purchases in the bags I brought and walking to the truck or pushing the cart to the truck and doing it there.

These effin wackers are not trying to help the situation

Since they aren't handing out ANY plastic bags, I would say they are doing the most to help the situation.

Archived