Second Hand Bike Bought -but No "green Book"

I have bought some Months ago a Second Hand Motorbike in a Shop in Pattaya ! The "only" Proove forma Ownership forthis Bike is the Buying Contract ! What is the Mistery about this? Why I can not transfer this Motorbike on my proper Name?

Recently, Police stopped me, and asked for the Book - and I just told the Officer, "it" is in the Company Office, and he just accepted this Answer ! Good Luck?

By the Way :the former Owner was also a "Farang" !

IS the bike an import?

If so you will need the import ducuments proving the taxes have been paid, if you don't have that no book. With them anywhere from 50K to 80K you can get a book

There really is no mystery you have an illegal motorcycle

Does it have plate?

Current road usage permit?

Curent insurance sticker?

What kind of bike is it?

What size?

It's a little more complicated then someone writing a bill of sale.

That interesting the first time I have ever heard of anyone being asked for a book by a Police Officer.

If the seller is a farang the dealer must have a letter from the immigration from the seller .The same must be done for the buyer.This law started march 1st.If he doesnt have that paper he will never be able to change the name for you.

I have bought some Months ago a Second Hand Motorbike in a Shop in Pattaya ! The "only" Proove forma Ownership forthis Bike is the Buying Contract ! What is the Mistery about this? Why I can not transfer this Motorbike on my proper Name?

Recently, Police stopped me, and asked for the Book - and I just told the Officer, "it" is in the Company Office, and he just accepted this Answer ! Good Luck?

Congratulations, you are the owner of a stolen bike. I hope you didn't pay too much.

Congratulations, you are the owner of a stolen bike. I hope you didn't pay too much.

Why is the bike automatically stolen???????? I have bought several bikes without a green book, NONE of them have been stolen. A bit of a knee jerk reaction me thinks. If the bike was imported then you need a reciept showing the frame number and engine number. Once you have these you can then apply to get the green book. It will cost between 50-80,000 baht to do this. Without a book you risk the police confiscating the bike and you will not get it back. It may not happen, But then again it just might. Only you know whether you want to risk the money you paid for the bike. a few more details on the bike may determine whether you have a dodgy bike, sie , year, make etc.

Why is the bike automatically stolen???????? I have bought several bikes without a green book, NONE of them have been stolen. A bit of a knee jerk reaction me thinks. If the bike was imported then you need a reciept showing the frame number and engine number. Once you have these you can then apply to get the green book. It will cost between 50-80,000 baht to do this. Without a book you risk the police confiscating the bike and you will not get it back. It may not happen, But then again it just might. Only you know whether you want to risk the money you paid for the bike. a few more details on the bike may determine whether you have a dodgy bike, sie , year, make etc.

Ok, "most likely stolen" then. No tabien rot = very fishy. I never and would not hand over a satang for a second hand vehicle of any kind until I see my name in the tabien rot. Possibly a small down payment after checking that the seller's ID matches the current owner in the tabien rot.

You know it really sounds like this is the first time he has bought a bike here, if he could supplies a little more info. We mihgt be able to make some suggestions, but witout no way.

Yes the bike may or may not stolen it is not unusual for big bikes to sold here without books, dealers in Issan never supply the books on a import and qoute you a price with a book and wihtout, The book usually adds 70K to the price.

Without any documentation as to import, that certainly increases the chance of it being a stolen bike.

If you have the proper import docs, you can get the book.

Could you address the new law a bit more? Not familiar with that one.

IS the bike an import?

If so you will need the import ducuments proving the taxes have been paid, if you don't have that no book. With them anywhere from 50K to 80K you can get a book

Does it have plate?

What kind of bike is it?

What size?

That interesting the first time I have ever heard of anyone being asked for a book by a Police Officer.

My bike didn't have a book for a couple of years ... I got the info from the dealer finally and went in to khon song jangwat phuket (bought the bike originally in HuaHin) the total cost in getting the book and insurance was about 1000 baht ... NOT 40-50,000!

jdinasia you bought a bike that had been registered but you did not get the book when you bought it. Thats why you were only charged 1000 baht to get the book in your name. If the bike has been imported then you have to get it verified which costs between 50-8000 baht. When they are verifiying the bike is when you find out whether you have a stolen bike. Having bought and registered 2 imported bikes and bought 3 bikes from a shop with the import tax paid I know the costs. Just check with the local plod first if in doubt and get the proper paperwork.

IS the bike an import?

Does it have plate?

What kind of bike is it?

What size?

My bike didn't have a book for a couple of years ... I got the info from the dealer finally and went in to khon song jangwat phuket (bought the bike originally in HuaHin) the total cost in getting the book and insurance was about 1000 baht ... NOT 40-50,000!

Compare apples to apples. The 40-50,000 is the price for a larger imported bike not a 100cc step-thru that had lapsed in reg. fees.

I bought a bike without a green book, but with a receipt that looked legit. It took me 6 months to get the bike registered! :o I had to track down the owner before the one who sold it to me and get the proper paperwork from him. Fortunately, he turned out to work at police station very close to my apartment.

Some parts of Thailand like the North are easy for riding 'unregistered' bikes. People make a thing that if a bike is without the book it must be stolen. Its also common for the bike to of been assembled 'in a dark warehouse' to get around the ridiculous import fees and taxes levied on big bikes. These tend to be the big bikes roaring around Thailand.

Up north in Chang Mai bikes without plates or the book are a common sight. Especially on the big ones (125cc+) If the police pull you over (at a check-point) its a small fine at worst (maybe 500 baht or more), or maybe a slap on wrists. Its not worth paying 70K for a book believe me!