Oh Man! Foreign tourist racks up 50K bar tab after ringing the bell 20 times!

webfact

Oh Man! Foreign tourist racks up 50K bar tab after ringing the bell 20 times!

8pm.jpg

Picture: CH7

A 33 year old man from Oman out with his Thai girlfriend in Pattaya claimed that he didn't know what ringing the bell meant. 

In a bar in a cluster on the Pattaya to Na Klua Road he rang the bell about twenty times and the staff and all customers present enjoyed free drinks. 

When it came time to go back to his hotel the hapless tourist was presented with a bill for 53,300 baht and believed he had had his bar tab padded. 

He paid 9,000 baht but the owner of the bar insisted they go to the police station to sort it out. 

There the tourist police examined a huge wad of bills. 

After a half hour negotiation it was decided that the Omani should pay 5,500 baht more. 

They all then went their separate ways, reported Channel 7 news with an accompanying video. 

Source: CH7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-13

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, webfact said:

When it came time to go back to his hotel the hapless tourist was presented with a bill for 53,300 baht and believed he had had his bar tab padded. 

So he was right then, overcharged by nearly 40Kbht.

Police made him pay 14,500bht. 

Nice girlfriend too, he didn't know what ringing the bell meant, and she didn't tell him.

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

After a half hour negotiation it was decided that the Omani should pay 5,500 baht more. 

That's a serious reduction from the 44,300 the bar allege was outstanding, suggesting his claim of "padding the bill" was probably justified to some degree. Got to be pretty stupid though not to notice how excited everyone in the bar was after each time he rang the bell and realise what was going on.

The Police should have immediately charged the bar owner with attempted fraud ! or extortion, and send a message to others not to try and fleece tourists, obvious they were not being truthful to allow/agree a reduction/settlement of that size.

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

A 33 year old man from Oman out with his Thai girlfriend in Pattaya claimed that he didn't know what ringing the bell meant. 

You just couldn't make it up could you! ????

Man are they gonna take you to the cleaners and then some!!,,,

The RTP must have been rubbing their hands together when this genius walked in.

I was in a bar in Pattaya, and I bought 1 lady a drink, and I had a small Leo.

I decided to move on, and was presented with a bill of over 700 baht, and when I questioned it, the owner said I had ordered drinks for other girls. Had I been a newbie, I probably would have paid it begrudgingly, and moved on, but as I first visited there in 1991, and have lived in the N.E. for 15 years, as a matter of principle, I disputed it.

She wouldnt back down, and either would !, so she called the police, and minutes later they arrived in a pick-up (probably expecting a good pay day from stupid farang !).

It was then decided that I would have to go to Soi 9, in the back of the pick up, and when there, I was told I would be put in a cell for the night, and would appear in court in the morning. They were probably expecting me to bribe my way out of my now predicament, but, instead, I called a highly influential lawyer in Khon Kaen, and passed the phone over to the officer. To this day I do not know what was said, but on handing me the phone back, he told me I was free to go, and the matter was closed.

I find in a lot of places, up here included, some bars are trying scams, as an awful lot of them must be losing money day after day, with customer numbers drastically reduced. 

2500 baht per bell ring sounds reasonable , if there were 10 girls in the bar , plus the owner and cashier and his drink , 2500 Baht isnt an unreasonable amount .

He paid 700 Baht per bell ring ,which would buy 3 ladies drinks .

It would depend on how many people were in the bar as to whether his bill was padded or not .

The 50 000 Baht may have been the correct bill , as it was the bar owner that called the police

Maybe I go to the "wrong" places. But where I go if a customer would ring the bell he would get the bill for that right away. And if he does it again he would get another bill.

And if he does not notice his bill they would probably tell him that he just got another 2000B bill.

Are there any bars where you can ring the bell 5 times and nobody explains the rules? Maybe 2nd floor Patpong but otherwise I don't think so. But please correct me if I am wrong.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

The Police should have immediately charged the bar owner with attempted fraud ! or extortion, and send a message to others not to try and fleece tourists, obvious they were not being truthful to allow/agree a reduction/settlement of that size.

Theyll say they were being extremely  charitable and letting it  go as they love tourists etc etc

52 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Oman Oman Oman he's a very bad example for his teetotalling country out with his tongue when he gets home????

Oman is not a teetotalling country.

this guys girlfriend should have known better. Also, the mamasan should present the bill after every bell ring.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

So he was right then, overcharged by nearly 40Kbht.

Police made him pay 14,500bht. 

Nice girlfriend too, he didn't know what ringing the bell meant, and she didn't tell him.

why would she tell him? 

she probably worked in the bar.

no..him just wery good man and jaidee..

Translation= another stupid buffalo farang

36 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Oman is not a teetotalling country.

this guys girlfriend should have known better. Also, the mamasan should present the bill after every bell ring.

Stand corrected the transit staff relived me of a bottle of JD and four 18650 batteries although all sealed for their own consumption then the bstewards????

Archived